UKC

The Godfather: great films, but the book...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
It cropped up in conversation between my wife and I that I'd never read The Godfather. I'd seen the films - who hasn't? - a number of times but I'd never read the book. So she bought me a copy.

And all I'm going to say is that I'm astonished that films (the first two, that is) so good have been made from a book that's so badly written. It's dreadful. Tissue-thin characters, actions without foundation, just pulp-fiction trash which proclaims on the cover that it's 'The Classic Bestseller'.

Jeez. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised but I had expected so much more.

Any other film/book disappointments, anyone?

T.
 nastyned 30 May 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I didn't like the films, that was a disappointment. And I'm definitely not giving the book a go now!
Gone for good 30 May 2016

The Revenant was a far better book than the film. I only watched the film last night but felt disappointed that large parts of the book were completely missing. Leonardo was very good though. An inspired bit of casting.

Rob Exile Ward 30 May 2016

We had the book with us in on a trip to S America in the 70s, there wasn't much else to read but despite reading it many times it truly was ...cr*p.

I think there was quite a spate of films being much better than the books - 2001, Godfather, Clockwork Orange... there's others I can't remember now where the film was fantastic and the book just terrible. Not sure it happens nowadays though, are there *any* good films around?
 Jon Stewart 30 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Under the Skin is a great film, but the book's pretty ludicrous.
 Rob Exile Ward 31 May 2016
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Wow, I've got a dislike, now I *am* flattered!
 pebbles 31 May 2016

think I'll put "captain Corellis Mandolin" I read the book and thought the characters werte absolutely cardboard, cartoon happy go lucky greeks, opera singing italians...give me strength. put the book down in disgust half way through as I was fed up with it. Watched the movie though (it was a wet weekend) and thought it was really powerful, nicolas cage was totally convincing as Captain Corelli
 summo 31 May 2016

not read the godfather itself, but read the prequel. Thought it was ok.
Removed User 31 May 2016

Not exactly a disappointment, but I preferred some of the tweaking the film of Last of the Mohicans made to the book.
 The New NickB 31 May 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I didn't think either was a great piece of art, but definitely thought the book was better than what was a pretty awful film.
 Mick Ward 31 May 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

Agree - though LotM was written in a different age, with a very different style. It's one of those books I've always yearned to re-write, particularly the last scene. Love the film.

Mick
 Rob Exile Ward 31 May 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:
Rob Roy was another brilliant film, approximately at the same time. Never even tried the original book, though.
 Bulls Crack 13 Jun 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I haven't read the book or seen the film but I did go to Kefalonia last and thought it was a bit boring
 humptydumpty 13 Jun 2016

I found Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep rubbish, but enjoyed Blade Runner. Perhaps it's normal for scifi though - clever ideas poorly written; adapted by pros for the big screen.
 GridNorth 13 Jun 2016

The Da Vinci Code. I thought the film was at least entertaining though neither was brilliant.

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...