UKC

How many stops - 5, 8 or 10?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudmonkey 31 May 2016
Just upgraded to Z series filter holder from Cokin due to P series being visible with my new ultra wide lens.

I'm now looking at getting a filter(s) for some long exposures but they're pretty pricey, so wondering which one to get first. Not a fan of massively "over-milked" long exposure water so guessing 5 or 8 stops is the one to go for?

I guess skies would generally need more like the 10 stops if you want to mess around with long exposures for moving clouds?

Which do people find they use the most?

Thanks all!
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I have only ever owned a 10 stop and even that isn't really enough for cloud movement in daylight. Try and do repeated 15 or 30 seconds and stack

I'd say 5 or 6 for water in daylight (But that is a guess) as combined with a 10 that would cover a lot of options including cloud movement
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 31 May 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

A 5 and 10 stop will cover pretty much all your needs.

I use a 5 for water, 10 for clouds or coastal shots. Don't forget a 10 stop is also great for removing people from a crowded but photogenic venue.

Little video I made a while ago: youtube.com/watch?v=gwsMTRovXEQ&
 The Potato 01 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

same, ive only got a 10
 Brass Nipples 01 Jun 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

Enjoyed your little video. Interesting stuff.

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 02 Jun 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Thanks Lion. Glad you liked it. I'm not normally into product promotion but I felt their range of filters deserved it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...