UKC

A Bivy On Mount Brandon..blog post

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 03 Jun 2016
After visiting the Lake District on May 20th I took the opportunity to have a two day outing in one of my all time favourite places on Wednesday and Thursday..Mount Brandon. I thought you might like to see what this place had to offer. Certainly very different to The Lakes...dare I say..better??
http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2016/06/bivvying-on-brandon-close-to-perfect...
I hope you enjoy...Stephen
In reply to goatee:
Your article brought back great memories of bivvying on my own in the rain in a v poor 'cave' below a boulder a few hundred feet below the summit of Mount Brandon in the summer of 1976. The morning lived up to the forecast: by the time I had reached the summit the rain had stopped and then the clouds rolled back revealing the fantastic position 3000 feet above the sea. It was the start of a heatwave.
Post edited at 18:25
Removed User 03 Jun 2016
In reply to goatee:

Very nice. I compleated my Furths on Brandon on the 18th. Saw nought but I were fare chuffed I'd done it.
 Billhook 04 Jun 2016
In reply to goatee:

The SW mountains of Eire are vastly under appreciated in the UK.
OP goatee 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

True Dave. There are some of the best mountains and wild coastline in these islands to be found there. I can never decide which place is my favourite as as it changes depending on where I am at the time but mostly I think it boils down to a choice between the west coast of Ireland and northwest Scotland. But I am open to persuasion
 Pyreneenemec 04 Jun 2016
In reply to goatee:

Great stuff Stephen !

I've been up Brandon three times, always in good conditions. There is nothing comparable in the Lakes. The views from Black Comb can be good but no where near as good as those to be had from Brandon.

I'm off to Donegal in July, the only bit of Ireland that I haven't visited. The views from Errigal are supposedly the best in Ireland. Last year we were in the Sligo region and managed ( despite the cold miserable weather) to bag a few peaks ( Slieve League; Benbulbin) and a few breath-taking coastal walks on Belmullet and Achill Island.
 Billhook 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Pyreneenemec:
Errigal is amazing. There's no where else like it in the UK. An isolated mountain rising up from out of bogs and small hills, a sharp ridge and crest to equal anything in the UK. And exceptionally few visitors.

Post edited at 15:08
OP goatee 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

To my shame I have never been there. I must make the effort. So many places to see.
 wilkesley 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

We climbed t a few years ago with my then quite young children. On the way up there was a "band" where the wind was so strong that you could lean into it and not fall over. However, the last hundred feet or so and the summit ridge were completely calm. Same on the way down, we went back through a zone of 50+mph wind. Very strange. Views were worth the effort though!
 Pete Houghton 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

Skiing the east face of Errigal is somewhere near the top of my bucket list. As soon as the gulf stream stops and a new ice age begins, Ireland is going to have some of the best skiing in Europe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...