UKC

BNWT Spantiks, Rebel Ultras, and a Gore-Tex suit

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Jonny Allen 04 Jun 2016
premier post photo
"The best time to gear up for Winter is at the end of the previous Winter" - every ski-bum and climber ever!

So, years of being a blatant gear-whore magpie needs to come to an end. Having gotten married and needing cash to buy a car pronto is creating a ‘needs must’ situation. So please be kind. i.e. No bargaining on the boots in particular.

References available if wanted from selling ropes and other lesser value items on the Farcebook UK gear forum etc. I just couldn’t be arsed adding any more drivel to this advert than there already is.

Please phone, text, email or PM me directly, in that order, for the quickest response. Thanks:
- jonnyallen@gmail.com

Photographs as follows (see info tag on each photo to clarify item number FS):
https://goo.gl/photos/LjHm4VGhHyFJeUuTA

# 1: Scarpa Rebel Ultra Gtx - size 45 (~10.5): £220 + £12 postage (cheapest current online price still ~ £380!)
Likely the star attraction of this sale, and surely the "UKC bargain of the month" at this price too! (to quote another past seller of a used pair of these for £250 I think it was).
They should need no introduction to the informed winter climber. Although, for some reason there is precious few reviews of them when you stick their name in google. I would suggest you read them all.
These ones were merely walked around the corridors and grounds of a hospital in Switzerland for a couple of weeks (Don’t ask!...Short Version: someone stole my only other pair of ‘casual’ shoes that I had with me  when I came unwittingly close to experiencing a life threatening Gallstones incident in the Mountains, instead of climbing in said Mountains!) So, the shine has only just been taken off their souls (pun intended) and there’s a very small amount of asymmetric wear to both heels (looks like I need insoles). See the detailed photos.

Note: please be CLEARLY warned regarding the unique sizing of these amazing, highly technical, but infuriately sized boots. All the internet rumours are true, under exaggerated if anything. I went for half a size bigger than my usual precise fitting of 44.5 in several previous Scarpa products going back 15+ years, but after just one testing walk/scramble down a hill it became clear that it still wasn't enough with these boots (toe bash), by AT LEAST another half size up I reckon. I had to go up to 46!
i.e. You need to be a size 44, AT MOST, in any normal (non NAG last) Scarpa footwear to be considering these boots, especially if you want to wear them with a thick sock (a waste, or not the best way to wear them IMNHO incidentally. I wear a single, thin, ski sock which seems to help my feet remain bone-dry and therefore toasty, as far down as minus 5 just, so far).

# 2: Scarpa Rebel Ultra Gtx - size 45 (~10.5): £250 + £12 postage (cheapest current online price still ~ £380!)
Similarly, Pair #2 just misses out on also being in-name-only 'second hand' goods, especially as they are not far from being in 'like new' or 'mint-in-box' condition, hence the slight price difference. The only thing spoiling that is the tiny initials that were stoopidly written on them on their ankle, now blocked out by a tiny SIM card sized black square that you probably wouldn’t even have noticed if I didn’t point it out (see detailed photos).
Seriously, these are truly in-name-only second hand goods.
[I read an internet rumour, from what should have been a reliable source, that they were stopping making/selling them (America only, as it turned out) shortly after I had bought pair number #1, but before I discovered the toe-bash and super precise “NAG last sock fit” issue. So I panicked, went a bit cray cray, and bought a second pair, when they became available to me at a good price.
So yes, I AM currently the proud owner of THREE pairs of these boots! ‘my’ ones are in size 46, which are amazeballs! They will be prized from my cold dead hands (ok, feet. pun intended)]

# 3: La Sportiva Spantik boots - size EU46 (~ UK 11.5) (see my note on sizing - i.e. they fit more like 45ish+)
£350 ovno + £12 postage – (cheapest current online price still ~ £460!)

BNWT and in original box, as pictured.
These will need no introduction to the potential HA or winter climber that is in the market for a boot of their calibre.
They are also truly in-name-only '2nd hand' goods.
The only thing that is not in 'shop floor' new condition is the box itself. It's looking a wee bit worse for wear.
The boots themselves still have the tags on them and have only been tried on a carpeted indoor environment a couple of times.

So I'm essentially offering a £450+ boot for over a £100 discount.

A note on sizing: I've owned a number of boots in the B3 category, and despite what would appear to be the slow collapse of my feet arches with age, I have never needed bigger than a size EU45.
However, with a better insole (not included) and a single extra thick sock, these fit me perfectly in size 46 (see above notes on the Rebel Ultras too).
I have also tried on the new La Sportiva G2s, and whilst very nice and they appear to be (just about) noticeably lighter whilst moving, and maybe a little bit more customisable fit, they do NOT appear to be a much warmer boot. So the question is whether you want to blow an extra £200 for shininess!  as I can promise you, they won’t be appearing in sales any time soon.

# 4: TNF Kitchatna Gore-Tex suit - Size large black BNWOT: £180 + £10 postage ono. (SRP ~ £500+?!)
Yes, a completely brand new and unused one-piece gore-tex suit, bought from the U.S. a few years ago, that only has the tags missing because they got torn off and lost during a house move or something.
Admittedly a few years old now (due to epically long procrastination over what to do with it when I realised it was far too big for me) and they have gone slightly out of fashion it would seem, but this was the king of one-piece gore-tex suits in its day.
It would still make an awesome 'Powder day' skiing suit however, or equally great attire for winter alpine or ice climbing (provided your ego isn't so fragile it can't survive possible snidey remarks for wearing a 'onesie'). You'll be the driest person at the end of the day (and any kind of day at that), and I know from experience, owning a Rab Event suit I bought a few years ago, that it is a joy to experience the zero faff and bulk (of overlapping hemlines etc) around the mid-riff area when wearing a onesie, especially when wearing a harness on crappy weather (or otherwise) days.
I've even used my own one for sailing.
This suit has almost too many features to mention here now, and the best photographs I could manage of it (with my crap camera admittedly) really doesn't do it justice.
Like the Rebel Ultras above, this truly is the epitome of in-name-only 'second hand' gear, but whilst it technically has a historical value of nearly half a grand, it is admittedly a very niche item, so I feel my asking price accurately and fairly reflects that. Consider the fact that a top brand heavyweight jacket alone can easily cost ~ £300+ these days!
PM me if you want me to bore you some more with its full spec and list of features, or more detailed photos. You'd almost be better googling for the latter however, and just imagining what you find in all-black.

Ok, that’s it. Thanks for looking/sticking with me through all the above!
Regards,
Jonny.
OP Jonny Allen 12 Jun 2016
Rebel Ultras #1 sold.
OP Jonny Allen 15 Jul 2016
<sigh> Price drop on the Spantiks to £299 (including U.K. Postage!).
OP Jonny Allen 08 Aug 2016
Rebel Ultras #2 sold.

Thank you James Gordon. Pleasure doing last minute business! I'm still waiting on vicarious details of your trip!
OP Jonny Allen 09 Aug 2016
#4 TNF Gore-tex suit sold and paid for. Thank you Denni.
 James Gordon 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Jonny Allen:

Boots were awesome and promptly delivered and in excellent condition. Many thanks!
 Denni 23 Aug 2016
In reply to James Gordon:

TNF suit arrived very quickly and in pristine condition.
Top man, cheers Jonny
OP Jonny Allen 29 Aug 2016
In reply to James Gordon:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
OP Jonny Allen 29 Aug 2016
In reply to Denni:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
 andrewm1000 13 Sep 2016
In reply to Jonny Allen: Are the Spantiks still available? regards Andrew

OP Jonny Allen 20 Oct 2016
In reply to andrewm1000:

Oops, sorry mate, I just sent you a message without checking this first.
Yes mate, the Spantiks are actually the only item left.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...