UKC

Recommend me a 1/2 man 4 season tent under 2.5kg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 06 Jun 2016
As the title says I'm looking for a lightweight 1/2 man tent under 2.5kg primarily for ski mountaineering and remote photography.

It will inevitably be used as a foreground for many photos so a bright colour (yellow, orange, red) is preferable.

So far the following seem to keep cropping up:

Hilleberg Nallo 2: http://europe.hilleberg.com/EN/tents/red-label-tents/nallo-2/

Black Diamonds new I-Tent: http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_AT/tents-and-bivys/i-tent-BD810050.html...

Integral designs Mk1 Bivy: http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=880

I don't know if anyone has an experience with the above or can recommend something else from personal experience?

Budget is about £700

Thanks very much for any advice in advance!
Donald82 06 Jun 2016
In reply to James Rushforth:

Not sure half man is an acceptable term outside of game of thrones?
 DaveHK 06 Jun 2016

I've not used my Nallo in heavy snow but apparently they're not so great for that kind of usage.
 olddirtydoggy 06 Jun 2016

The Hilleberg Jannu is supposed to be the finest 4 season bomber tent in existance. Not sure you'll get one for the price though. Somebody was selling one on here this weekend cheaper.
 George Fisher 07 Jun 2016

TN voyager or Superlight Voyager

Mine's done me proud for 10 years.

Done alright in pretty bad weather.

d_b 07 Jun 2016

macpac minaret is another good one. At the top end of your weight range but pretty bomb proof. Only down side is that is isn't that long so it may be unsuitable if you are tall.

d_b 07 Jun 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Tunnels are generally slightly less good than geodesics in heavy snow but they work out lighter and are more than capable of dealing with high winds. It's always about trade offs.

Having said that, my old minaret never had real problems with snow even when it was coming down fairly hard so I expect the Nallo would probably be OK so long as you dug it out occasionally too.

OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Donald82:

Fair enough I had that coming
OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 09 Jun 2016

Many thanks for the suggestions and help all! Shall do a bit more research
Graeme G 09 Jun 2016

What about something by Lightwave? I've never used mine in winter but its a cracking wee tent.
 DaveHK 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

> What about something by Lightwave? I've never used mine in winter but its a cracking wee tent.

I had a Lightwave G20 Trek and it was without a shadow of a doubt the worst tent I've ever owned. Leaky, poor quality materials and impossible to pitch right. By the end of a 3 week bike tour it was falling apart and I'd resorted to putting my jacket over it in rain to stop the leaks. I know some folks really rate them but there are enough stories like mine out there to make me think they have some serious QC issues.
Graeme G 09 Jun 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Jeez. Got me worried there so checked reviews on my zro/cylq. Obviously they dont make it anymore but thanks for the heads up as it may need renewed soon

https://backpackinglight.com/lightwave_zr0_cylq_tent_review/

Sounds like a Hilleberg Soulo is what you're after. Never used one, but the reviews I've seen have been positive.

http://www.climbers-shop.com/7112062/products/hilleberg-soulo-tent.aspx?ori...

T.
 TMM 09 Jun 2016

Have you considered the Tarptent Scarp range?
https://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html

I have a second hand Scarp 2 with the optional crossing poles. This gives you a very flexible, structure with the ability to add strength, with the associated weight penalty, when required. Not the brightest colour sadly.

Would leave you a lot of change from your budget!
 HeMa 10 Jun 2016

Since I've bought the Outdoor Designs Summit single-skin tent, I've been really happy with it. Highly similar to the Integral Designs Mk1 Bivy, used the old Gore Exchange fabric though.

When wild camping in the alps (in the valley), set up the under a waterfall by accident... minute condensation was the result, but then again I've had more condensation on a Nallo 3 GT.

Also used it numerous times in the winter (sub zero temps) and no issues.

I think Rab Latok 2 is the same product... and slightly lower (and thus nicer in the wind , would be the Latok Summit. Crux also has something similar I seem to recall. As does MHW (but it's spendy).

Were I shoppin' now, I'd get the Crux or MHW one, as both have this nice pole-sleeve on the outside unlike the Rab/OD version where you simple open the door and push the poles in. The MHW system, with partial sleeve and clips looks the best, but I think it also works out the most expensive one.

The I-Tent is much like the Rab/OD one, albeit highly popular one (as is the lighter version, Lighthouse or something).

So, my picks would be MHW, Crux and then Rab/ID/BD in mixed order...
 Damo 10 Jun 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

> macpac minaret ,,, Only down side is that is isn't that long so it may be unsuitable if you are tall.

Eh? It has a staggered floor and the long side is around 7ft. It's one of the longest small tents in existence. I'm 6'7" and it's one of the reasons I bought it.

Height, on the other hand... It is relatively low inside.

Jannus are good tents, but not light. Crux tents look good, if you can handle single skin.
 DaveHK 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Damo:

> Eh? It has a staggered floor and the long side is around 7ft. It's one of the longest small tents in existence. I'm 6'7" and it's one of the reasons I bought it.

> Height, on the other hand... It is relatively low inside.

We replaced our Minaret because it was too small for extended two person use. I really liked it otherwise but after a couple of weeks in poor weather it felt pretty claustrophobic.
 d_b 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Damo:

I have a mate who couldn't fit in my minaret on either side. Unfortunately his tent is substantially heavier.
 wbo 10 Jun 2016
In reply to James Rushforth: If oyu are considering single skin tents I have the Mountain Hardware Direkt 2 and am pretty happy with it. Very light, has taken a beating but has the obvious limitations - a night at -19 was not very warm in the tent.

HeMa 12 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:

Thanx... but I'm not lookin', as the OD is still in workin' order... and I have enough tents already...
 The Ivanator 12 Jun 2016
 drsdave 12 Jun 2016

Hilliberg Soulo. It's more 1 man really but if you want reliability look no further.
 brunoschull 14 Jun 2016

Hi James. I have a Black Diamond Firstlight that I have used many times as a two person mountaineering tent. In my mind, the freestanding tents are much easier to manage than those that require guylines.

I'm actually selling my Firstlight for a great price...I don't know, maybe 200 pounds? I also have a NorthFace Tent that you might be interested in for about the same price. They are both in good condition. There are lots of little details about each one--if you want to correspond about it send me a message at brunoschull@gmail.com
 Siward 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

I have a zro cylq too. Great tent I think. As I recall it was at least twice the price of the standard version on account of the super duper flysheet material, which I don't think will be leaking any time soon. (Oh, and the carbon fibre poles)
Graeme G 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Siward:

Yeah. Love it.
OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2016
Thanks very much for all the help everyone, lots of good suggestions.

Hilleberg have been kind enough to offer a sponsorship deal so I've gone for the Nallo 2. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Thanks again for all the help.
Post edited at 09:08
 HeMa 05 Jul 2016

Nice, Nallo is a really good tent... especially, if you don't have to shell out retail prices.
 Blue Yonder 13 Jul 2016
In reply to HeMa:

Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid XL or similar pyramid (I have a Trailstar):

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=217

Good snow shedding and wind stability, superb workmanship and well below your budget and weight limit (especially if you choose the cuben fibre option).
+1 for Tarptents, though as mentioned you don't get the bright colours.
 Simon Pelly 13 Jul 2016

Got one of these:

http://www.force-ten.co.uk/gb/lightweight-tents/48-nitro-lite-2.html#.V4Yl9...

Really happy with it. Very light weight and easy to pitch.

Vibrant green if that helps you pictures!

Simon...
 Shapeshifter 13 Jul 2016

> Thanks very much for all the help everyone, lots of good suggestions.
> Hilleberg have been kind enough to offer a sponsorship deal so I've gone for the Nallo 2. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
> Thanks again for all the help.

I like your style, cunning that. Ask for advice and get offered sponsorship.
Have you thought about asking for advice on beer and pies?
 Mountain Llama 13 Jul 2016

I've got the nallo 2 GT version, its ace!

Davey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...