UKC

INTERVIEW: Tom Dufton - Climbing with Tourette's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 07 Jun 2016
Tom Dufton, 3 kb28 year-old Tom Dufton is a climber and instructor based in Stoke on Trent. He recently appeared on the BBC programme Employable Me - featuring individuals with neurological conditions overcoming the struggles of finding employment - talking about his experience in finding work as a sufferer of the widely misunderstood Tourette's Syndrome.

Read more
 llanberis36 07 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great article. Have met you Tom numerous times at stoke wall, and with all the staff there, all brill guys. And yes you are completely right about climbing, in the main completely accepting of everyone, no one cares about our differences, and in fact embraces them. You talk openly and candidly about your mental health, we all need to do more of that. Cant think of any other group of people other than climbers who embrace difference, great isnt it......

And the churnett pictures are pretty good to...
 Babika 07 Jun 2016
Wow! What an illuminating article - on so many levels.

Thank you UKC.
 tom84 08 Jun 2016

watched the documentary, cool surprise to see this article about tom- glad things have turned out well, seems like a great guy
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Jun 2016

Great article, it never stops amazing me how positive the focus of climbing can be.

Thanks for sharing that Tom, I'm glad the climbing community has been so accepting.
 Dave Garnett 10 Jun 2016

Tom's such an engaging and likeable personality that, even on an initial meeting, the occasional tic isn't the most interesting thing about him. I don't know whether climbers are necessarily more accepting than other groups or the general public. It would be nice to think so, but in this case I think it's more that Tom makes it easy for us, rather than the other way round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...