UKC

Routes named after songs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just watched 'Four Jean Jean Jeanie' - brilliant! It got me thinking about routes that are named after songs. Any suggestions? I've been looking for a new video project and this sounds like good fun.

David
 Offwidth 09 Jun 2016
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Oh dear... hope you like The Stranglers

There's umpteen named after Marillion songs in the Wye Valley, especially at Wintour's Leap. Get all those in your video and your prospective audience may reach, ooh, perhaps double figures.

T.
Lusk 09 Jun 2016

Although in fairness to the Genesis wannabees, had I ever been good enough to do a magnificent hard new route, I'd have been tempted to call it Cinderella Search after one of their tunes. Two lines from it have stuck with me for years, "Maybe it was just imagination or the thrill of the chase. Maybe she was always beyond my reach and my heart was playing safe". A lovely encapsulation of chasing after an objective you aren't sure you'll achieve.

T.
 leewil86 09 Jun 2016

Nice n sleazy .......echo beach , both gogarth job bites
Gone for good 09 Jun 2016

Eternal flame on Trango Towers. Named after the Bangles song.
I read somewhere that every pitch was named after the verses (or some part of the verses) in the song.
 alan moore 09 Jun 2016

I did a new route called Heart of Glass once. People had been throwing bottles at it for years so it needed a light brushing first. The ground underneath was very crunchy.
 humptydumpty 09 Jun 2016
 Otis 09 Jun 2016
Most of the routes at Devils gorge seem to be song names. Dire Straits, chilli peppers, queen. There's loads.

One section of the crag is virtually the track listing for dire straits' Communique album.
Post edited at 20:49
 Mick Ward 09 Jun 2016

The Highwayman, Excerpt from a Teenage Opera, A Whiter Shade of Pale, Love Street, The Crystal Ship... just five of mine, going left to right, on the same crag.

'She said, "There is no reason
And the truth is plain to see."
But I wandered through my playing cards
And would not let her be...'

Mick
 Co1in H 09 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:
There may well be a song title Cemetery Gates but the route wasn't named after a song if memory serves me.
Knockin on Heavens Door appears several times - then just Heavens Door at Pembroke by Pat Littlejohn.
And on my local Cambusbarron Quarry Crag there is Another one bites the dust.
Post edited at 21:51
In reply to Co1in H:

Named after the destination of a bus, I believe.

T.
 john arran 09 Jun 2016

I did a new route in Pembroke some time ago, a really nice E6 I called Paranoid & Sunburnt, after a Skunk Anansie album.

Would make a great video project, except ...

...it fell down.

I've also just finished bolting a new crag in Ariège, very close to Chez Arran, and named all the lines after songs or other musical references - mostly French or French-related ones (yes it was hard!) Included are Ça plane pour moi, Laisse tomber les filles, Encore une fois, and of course Arête la musique.
 humptydumpty 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

Pretty sure Joe Brown was a big Pantera fan; have you read his biography?
In reply to Mick Ward:
Keith Reid - brilliant lyricist. Robert Hunter did the same job for the Grateful Dead.
 humptydumpty 09 Jun 2016

How about Renegade Master (f7C+)?!
 FactorXXX 09 Jun 2016

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
 FactorXXX 09 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Pretty sure Joe Brown was a big Pantera fan; have you read his biography?

Think you've got it the wrong way around and Pantera named their song after the Brown/Whillans route on Dinas Cromlech.
Alternatively, they were bus spotters...
 Mike-W-99 09 Jun 2016
Great route, but was it named after the Bowie song?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=210
Post edited at 22:38

"Chic" at Clogwyn yr Oen in the Moelwyns is apparently so named not because of any French style or even a baby bird but because on the first ascent Chris Brasher kept singing the song "California Here I Come".
 JSH 10 Jun 2016

I do enjoy routes that are names after songs, some of mine are... though I feel lyrics work weld too

Where is my mind: youtube.com/watch?v=n4KTAsQhCMI&
 Martin Bennett 10 Jun 2016
Dow Crag comes first to mind with Santana and Led Zep references, I think thanks to Andy Hyslop? And Bosigran - for Glenn Miller - Little Brown Jug and A String of Pearls; and also, for yet more sophistication, Anvil Chorus. Baggy Point has Pink Floyd connotations, down to Tony Wilmott, Percy Spring et al I understand - Set The Controls, Heart of the Sun, Grand Vizier's Garden Party, Astronomy Domine and more.

Our own song contributions have been in The Anti-Atlas with "A Hard Day's Night" (not, I admit, my idea but most relevant), "Maybelline", and the unapologetically strangulated "Gudbuy T'gine"- a nod to Noddy for which I am wholly to blame.
Post edited at 01:49
 Cake 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Well, possibly the best of G Gibson's on grit is Peaches. I always thought it was an odd name until I remembered how he named all his routes.
 Andy Hardy 10 Jun 2016

Smoke on't watter and Metal Guru spring to mind.
 Andy Hardy 10 Jun 2016

And Brown Sugar at Heptonstall.
 Andy Hardy 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

D'oh - I forgot Long Tall Sally.
 Doug 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

There's a Walk on the wild side on Beinn a' Mhuinidh (Kinlochewe), Stairway to Heaven (Beinn an Dothaidh), Majorie Razorblade (Dunkeld) and probably a few thousand others!
 ianstevens 10 Jun 2016

Fool's Gold (E1 5c) - presumably?
Riders on the Storm (HVS 5a) - according to the guide.

Pete Whillance went through a phase of naming routes after Eagles songs.

Desperado, and Take It To The Limit on Deer Bield crag immediately spring to mind. The names also reflected the nature of the routes!
cb294 10 Jun 2016

The Eternal Flame, Trango Tower.

Motorhead, Eldorado. According to an interview with the Remy brothers in Vertical the individual pitches were named after the tracks of NSTH.

CB
 keith sanders 10 Jun 2016

Sultans of Swing at Tremadoc Great name that describes the potential swing if you cock it up.

keith s
 Doug 10 Jun 2016
In reply to keith sanders:

> Sultans of Swing at Tremadoc Great name that describes the potential swing if you cock it up.

> keith s

Also at Glen Lednock, and no doubt elsewhere. Glen Lednock has a few other musical routes - including Get a Grip and Scary Monsters
 Dave Hewitt 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Co1in H:

> There may well be a song title Cemetery Gates but the route wasn't named after a song if memory serves me.

Plus the Smiths song is actually called Cemetry Gates (sic). The kind of odd spelling that clutters up your head if you work as a subeditor. (It's also a 1986 song and a 1951 route.)
 Andes 10 Jun 2016

I put up a new VS on the Dungeon of Buchan in Galloway and called it "Stairway to Heather", it was both a name and a a description!
 DerwentDiluted 10 Jun 2016
Dorset has the best ones thanks to Pete Oxley and chums.

England's Dreaming (7a+) Sex pistols
Mother's Milk (6a) Red hot chilli peppers
I Walk the Line (7b) Johnny Cash
Driven Like the Snow (6b+) Sisters of Mercy
To Wish the Impossible (7a) Carter USM
Psychosomatic Addict (7a+) Prodigy
Chaos UK (7a+) Exploited
Defcon One (6c+) Pop Will Eat Itself
A Taste of Honey (7a+) ?
April Skies (5a) Jesus and Mary Chain
God Told Me to Skin You Alive (6c+) Dead Kennedys - I kill children
Itchycoo Park (6c+) Small Faces
A Groovy Kind of Love (6c) Phil.. Can't bring myself to carry on..
Hang Onto Your Ego (6b) Frank Black
Here Comes The Rain Again (5c) Eurythmics
Going Blank Again (7b) Ride
Whiter Shade of Pale (6c) Procal Harem
Love Street (7a) the Doors
The Crystal Ship (6a) the Doors
Waiting for the Sun (6a) the Doors
Scooby Snacks (7a) Fun loving criminals
Hallelujah (7a) Leonard Cohen
Disintegration (7b+) The Cure
Some Velvet Morning (7a) Primal Scream
Reverence (7a+) Jesus and Mary Chain
Straight to Hell (7b+) the clash
Walking on Sunshine (7a) Katrina and the Waves
Doolittle (6b+) Pixies
Jane Says (6b+) James addiction
Relax (6b+) FGTH
Into the Groove (6b+) Madge
Heartland (7c) Sisters of Mercy
Bad Moon Rising (7a+) Creedence clearway error revival
Space Shanty (6b) leftfield
Come In and Burn (7b) Henry (God) Rollins
Pocketful of Shells (7b) RATM
King of the Swingers (7c+) Jungle book
Fly the Friendly Skies (7c) reference to a spoken word track by Henry Rollins
Staring at the Sea (7a) The Cure
Underwater Love (7a) Faith no More
Lucky Day in Hell (7b+) Eels
Nothing's Shocking (26) James addiction
Rocket from the Crypt (7a+) rocket from the crypt
Pandemonium (7c+) killing joke
Flowers on the Razor Wire (6c) Sisters of Mercy
Beers, Steers and Queers (6c+) the revolting cocks
Adrenochrome (8a) Sisters of Mercy
Burn Hollywood Burn (8a+) Leftfield and John Lydon
Grimly Fiendish (7a) Dammed
Dry Your Eyes Mate (7c+) the streets
Things That Make You Go Hmmmm... (6c) CC music factory (had to look that one up)
Sheffield Uber Alles (E6 6b) California Uber Alles? Dead Kennedys
Nowhere to Run (E6 6b) Martha Reeves
Slow Dive (E6 6b) Siouxsie and the Banshee
A Brutal Equation (7a) Consolidated
Fear of a Black Planet (7a) Public Enemy
With or Without You (6a+) U2
Lucretia, My Reflection (6c) Sisters of Mercy
Here Comes the Hezbollah (6b+) Sisters of Mercy
Dancing Fool (7a) Frank Zappa
Swordfish Trombones (E5 6b) Tom Waits
Palace of the Brine (8b) Pixies
Drunken Butterfly (7c+) Sonic youth
Just Another Victim (7b+) Helmet and House of pain
Godfodder (E7 6c) Neds atomic Dustbin
Ride the Lightning (f7C+) Metallica
All Apologies (7a+) Nirvana
Anger is an Energy (E5 6b) PIL
All the Shakespearoes (E3 5c) Stranglers
The Great Rock 'n' Dole Swindle (E3 6a) Sex pistols

Which funnily enough, was my exact play list in about 1994.

> Just watched 'Four Jean Jean Jeanie' - brilliant! It got me thinking about routes that are named after songs. Any suggestions? I've been looking for a new video project and this sounds like good fun.

> David
Post edited at 09:50
 bpmclimb 10 Jun 2016

> thinking about routes that are named after songs. Any suggestions?

I reckon there are thousands. Maybe not always very well-known songs though. I've used relatively obscure song titles for a fair number of new routes over the years - it's a rich source of nice-sounding phrases - but I doubt many people recognise them.
 Hat Dude 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> "Chic" at Clogwyn yr Oen in the Moelwyns is apparently so named not because of any French style or even a baby bird but because on the first ascent Chris Brasher kept singing the song "California Here I Come".

Not because he freaked out then
 scott titt 10 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
Another Dorset one (along with many more!)
Skateboard to Oblivion (5c) -Benny Profane
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Plus the Smiths song is actually called Cemetry Gates (sic). The kind of odd spelling that clutters up your head if you work as a subeditor. (It's also a 1986 song and a 1951 route.)

But weren't both the song and the route inspired by the same same cemetary in manchester ?
 Matt Vigg 10 Jun 2016

Making plans for Nigel in the slate, I always liked that name and liked it slightly less when I found out it was a song name.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Cake:

> Well, possibly the best of G Gibson's on grit is Peaches. I always thought it was an odd name until I remembered how he named all his routes.

Not all of them - just one per crag. His aim have a Stranglers track on every crag in the country - I think he's know over 4000 routes, so I wonder how many crags he's managed

I went for Half Man Half Biscuit with this route
The Light at the End of the Tunnel (VS 5a)
 Dave Hewitt 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> But weren't both the song and the route inspired by the same same cemetary in manchester ?

Ah, good point - could be, although I don't know enough about either Brown/Whillans or Morrissey/Marr (or about that part of the world) to say. Whillans was from Salford, however, and the most famous picture of Salford Lads' Club is surely the one used on The Queen Is Dead, so it could well be the same cemetery.
 Babika 10 Jun 2016

There's a few Suspect Device routes around the country - fantastic track by Stiff Little Fingers but I can't vouch for the quality of the routes
 BrendanO 10 Jun 2016

Kirriemuir obviously has a LOT of Bon Scott/ACDC refs...
 humptydumpty 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> But weren't both the song and the route inspired by the same same cemetary in manchester ?

My initial suggestion was tongue-in-cheek, but I think both route and song were named after the bus stop named after the gates of the cemetery.
 Carless 10 Jun 2016

Funeral for a Friend on the Maidens N.Scotland - the route starts from the place where Tom Patey died

A friend who shall be nameless suggested the name Dr Splat

Thanks for the suggestions! It's going to be tricky to decide whether to include climbs on their musical or physical merits... Little Brown Jug has to be in there though, classic all round.
 Gary Gibson 10 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted: All the Shakespearos isn't a Stranglers song, it's a line from No More Heroes 'what ever happened to all the heroes, all the Shakespearos'. Punctilious old me.

The Ivanator 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Mick Ward:

> The Highwayman, Excerpt from a Teenage Opera, A Whiter Shade of Pale, Love Street, The Crystal Ship... just five of mine, going left to right, on the same crag.

...you missed Waiting for the Sun (6a) from your little Rampart list Mick.
"At first flash of Eden
We race down to the sea
Standing there on freedom's shore..."

The one that makes me smile on Portland is a lyric rather than a song, the diminutive It's a God Awful Small Affair (2c) at the Nook.
 Mick Ward 10 Jun 2016
In reply to The Ivanator:

Very much Sarah's sense of humour, Fallen Angel that she is.

Mick

Ruby Tuesday (at the Roaches).
In reply to ianstevens:

> Fool's Gold (E1 5c) - presumably?

That's more likely named because of the shiny polished streaks of Iron pyrites at the crux.

The Pylon King 10 Jun 2016

More interesting is whether anyone has taken a route name and used for a song title?
 Mehmet Karatay 10 Jun 2016

I can contribute a few from Flodigarry:

* Newspaper Taxis (S)
* Lucy In The Sky (HVS 5a) (+others)
* Singing In The Rain (HVS 4c) (+others)
* Raining Men (VS 4c)

There may be more at Flodigarry, if you look through the list. These are the names I recognise. The ones I've said (+others) came up as other climbs from different crags as well when I searched for them.

Sounds like an interesting project,
Mehmet
 Gary Gibson 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Urgles:
I named a route Bed of Nails at the Roches in 1978 and the Stranglers released a song called Bed of Nails in 1995!
In reply to Urgles:

> More interesting is whether anyone has taken a route name and used for a song title?

Not a song, but there seems to be a group called Hillary Step:

https://soundcloud.com/hillary-step
 Co1in H 10 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty: Yes I have read his biography but perhaps I should go back and check.
As has been mentioned it was a destination board on a bus that provided the name.

Co1in H 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt: There you go then! Hate the music of The Smiths.

Martin Hore 10 Jun 2016

Got to this late and looked quickly through the thread to find the one that came immediately to mind and couldn't see it. Do no Kate Bush fans limb at St Govans?

Martin

Rampikino 10 Jun 2016

Skin Deep (S 4a)
The Final Cut (HS 4b)
Hanging Around (HS 4b)
Quiet Desperation (HS 4b)
September Blue (VD)

Delighted to say they are all ones that I did the first ascent on!
 radddogg 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Great route, but was it named after the Bowie song?

Errr yes, just a twist in the name to dedicate it to Jean.
 Dave Hewitt 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Urgles:

> More interesting is whether anyone has taken a route name and used for a song title?

There's a metal band called Crib Goch:
http://www.metalgigs.co.uk/band/4727/Crib-Goch

And perhaps Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko and co once had a holiday in Langdale and went for a wander up Bowfell via The Band...
 ashtond6 11 Jun 2016

Raindogs is an album
Chimes of freedom bob dylan
 Dave Hewitt 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Urgles:

Again a band rather than a song, but there's a popular beat combo (well, maybe) called Dawn Wall:

https://www.facebook.com/dawnwalldnb/
 Climbster 11 Jun 2016

Forever Young (E2 6a) needs a few more ticks; get it smashed before becoming forever old

ashtond6 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Again a band rather than a song, but there's a popular beat combo (well, maybe) called Dawn Wall:

Mate
Its called the dawn wall because it's the first area on el capitan the sun hits....

Hence 'wall of early morning light'
 ianstevens 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

I always thought it was probably a bit of both.
 d_b 11 Jun 2016

The only way is up

The Only Way Is Up (HVS 5a)
 Eugetj 11 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

In South Wales there are a number of routes named after Frank Zappa tracks

Willie the pimp

You what are you is

Etc,,,
The Papa Lazarou 11 Jun 2016

Tangled Up In Blue (Bob Dylan) the classic WI 4 at Ouray, Colorado
 Martin Bennett 13 Jun 2016
In reply to DerwentDiluted:
"A Groovy Kind of Love (6c) Phil.. Can't bring myself to carry on.."

No need to carry on - the original was by The Mindbenders 20 years before he who shall remain nameless ruined it.

Hell of a list by the way - how long did that take?!
Post edited at 11:17
 DerwentDiluted 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:
An hour, which although I'll never get it back, did remind me of some great tunes I used to love. I just went through Dorset rockfax and put down the names I immediately recognised, then went on yputube and rediscovered Consolidated and Sonic Youth, though i always loved 'Dirty'. It's uncanny, but every tune except Phil Collins and the Jungle book has been played to death by me at some point. Just realised that A Taste of Honey is JAMC also, I was thinking of the earlier one, probably inspired by the film, that the Beatles used to cover.
Post edited at 11:48
 Al Evans 13 Jun 2016

Tales of Yankee Power on High Tor was named by Phil Burke and myself after a combination of loving the record and stories of US climbers exploits in the UK. Also I should mention Desolation Row one of many Dylan songs used as names by Pete Biven.
 Al Evans 13 Jun 2016

> Thanks for the suggestions! It's going to be tricky to decide whether to include climbs on their musical or physical merits... Little Brown Jug has to be in there though, classic all round.

On the same crag 'A String of Pearls'
 Iain Peters 13 Jun 2016

And from the classical genre you have Eroica, Messiah, Nimrod and Rite of Spring etc.
 Nigel Coe 07 Jul 2016

Wintour's Leap has many routes by John Willson named after Wagner's operas: The Ring, Rheingold, Rheinfahrt, Tarnhelm, Notung, Nibelheim, Senta.
 Dave Cundy 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Al Evans:
And of course, all mendip cavers will have Desolation Row somewhere on their to-do list. Or at least, they would if it wasn't tucked behind twelve sumps in Swildons.

Dave Cundy 07 Jul 2016

And someone's just mentioned "Pressure Drop" on another thread - that's a classic song by Toots and the Maytals
 Bobling 07 Jul 2016

A lyric rather than a song title
The English Way (HS 4b)

Nigel Coe 07 Jul 2016

More from Swanage:
High Tide and Green Grass (compilation album by the Stones)
The Garden of Earthly Delights (United States of America)
Fiddler on the Roof (musical)
Catch the Wind (Donovan)
Ship of Fools (Grateful Dead)
China in Your Hands (T’Pau)

Unfortunately the last two remind me of Brexit

Don't push too far your dreams are china in your hand
Don't wish too hard because they may come true
And you can't help them
You don't know what you might have set upon yourself
China in your hand
 Michael Gordon 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Nigel Coe:

Ship of Fools is also The Doors
 CPH 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Take It Easy (Eagles of course) 19m 6b Horseshoe Quarry-Upper Tier. Stoney Middleton
Start under Mr Blue Sky. Follow the broken ramp leftwards into the pleasant groove and finish up the harder upper wall with a reach out right to a good hold and final crank for the top. (F.A. Colin Hughes, Tim Norris, Chris Hughes 23 June 2016)
 Misha 08 Jul 2016
There are a few Purple Haze routes around.
 Dawes of Time 09 Jul 2016

Knockin on heaven's door
 johncb 10 Jul 2016
In reply to David Kirsfelds: and Visions of Johanna at Bosigran ( by Bob Dylan)

Tom Valentine 10 Jul 2016

There is a route at Shining Clough called Plastic Saddle.
It 's named after a Jerry Reed song from the late 60's.
 Fraser 10 Jul 2016

Oh dear, is it that time of the month already?
 Rakim 11 Jul 2016

last chance for a slow dance - E3 5b (zippy level on the slate)

by the amazing Fugazi album

in on the killtaker - E4 6b (zippy level on the slate)

going to listen to that album right now

Can't believe no one's mentioned Yes, yet! Gates of Delirium, Close to the Edge, Relayer, Going for the one to name but 4. Three of these on Thirlmere's Raven Crag and not surprisingly the UKC database seems to have around 15 routes called Close to the Edge around the UK
 Al Evans 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Nigel Coe:

Speaking of Donovan I would like to add Sunny Goodge St in Cheedale, and a second entry for my Freebird on Castell Hellen.
 bpmclimb 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Nigel Coe:

> Wintour's Leap has many routes by John Willson named after Wagner's operas: The Ring, Rheingold, Rheinfahrt, Tarnhelm, Notung, Nibelheim, Senta.

I recently named four new Cornish routes after Russian operas. Grand names, but the climbs themselves (unlike John's) don't have the stature to match, unfortunately

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...