UKC

Highcliffe Nab clean up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anti-faff 11 Jun 2016
Highcliffe Nab

I've cleaned a few routes at the left hand end of Highcliffe Nab as they were looking sadly neglected.

From left to right:
- Holden's Wall (HVS)
- Holden's Right Hand (HVS)
- Green crack (HS)
- Green wall (VS)
- Frank's Folly (VS)
- Peeler (E2)
- Flange Crack (E2)
- Sunset Crack (HVS)
- Sarcophagus (HVS)
- Wee Dot (HVS)
- Knuckleduster (HVS)
- Ping (E1)
- Twin Cracks (HS)

I've cleared the brambles and branches from the bottom of the crag too so it's easy enough to walk all the way along from the popular end now. I've also cleared the brash left over from the feeling at the top of the Peeler/Flange crack area as it was a nightmare walking through it to get to the belay trees.

Hopefully this might encourage folk to venture down there a bit more as there are some cracking routes to be had, especially Ping, Peeler and Holden's.

Get stuck in!
 petegunn 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

Good work on the cleaning session, we visited today but unfortunately forgot to pack my shoes
Managed to second a few but will be back for the crack lines, they look good
 phleppy 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

Excellent work! I cleaned several routes on that side of the crag about 5 years ago and I know others have cleaned again since, it's a shame that end gets no traffic as most of the routes deserve it. I will definitely be up there when we get a dry period to do some of the routes you've cleaned so thanks for the effort!
 ActionSte 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

> From left to right:

> - Holden's Wall (HVS)
> - Holden's Right Hand (HVS)
> - Green crack (HS)
> - Green wall (VS)
> - Frank's Folly (VS)
> - Peeler (E2)
> - Flange Crack (E2)
> - Sunset Crack (HVS)
> - Sarcophagus (HVS)
> - Wee Dot (HVS)
> - Knuckleduster (HVS)
> - Ping (E1)
> - Twin Cracks (HS)

So by ''A few'' you mean half the crag!? Good work sir.
Im ashamed to admit that even though i grew up in Guisborough and have a tattoo of the crag on my arm, ive only ever climbed there on two occasions, and the first i was 7.
Very good reason to go home at the weekend and get on it
OP Anti-faff 20 Jun 2016
In reply to petegunn:

No worries, have fun!
OP Anti-faff 20 Jun 2016
In reply to ActionSte:
Ha! Yes it's taken quite a while.

I'd be thrilled to see it get a bit more traffic. There's a decent amount of good clean routes there now so fingers crossed.

I'm heading up there tomorrow evening to have a bash at some of them, can't wait!
Post edited at 23:51
 MTL 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

Awesome effort. Went up this evening and did Ping after seeing this post, and will hopefully be heading back up in the coming weeks to get more done (Peeler looks good!). Cheers for cleaning all these lines up.
OP Anti-faff 23 Jun 2016
In reply to MTL:

Ah great stuff! Nice little route even with the grass pulling at the top! Knuckle Duster isn't bad either, easily as good as Flake Crack IMO. It needs a bit of traffic though.

Yes there was a lot of growth on the top of Peeler. I couldn't believe what emerged as I cleaned it off, it looks perfect.

If you're heading down to the far end to do Holden's Wall too (which also looks ace) it's probably worth going along the path at the top as the ground underneath the crag between Peeler area and Holden's is still pretty rough with brambles and branches. I'll clear it out in the next week or two.

petegunn 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Anti-faff:

Thanks for all your hard work, we returned (with my shoes this time!) on Thursday and did Twin Cracks, Ping, Flange Crack and Peeler all of which were superb. Managed to get Moonflower as a bonus as well

I wondered if the local MC could hold a "crag clean up day" to help you out on your one man mission! it will help generate new interest,young and old and helping keep the crag in condition.

Thanks again

Pete & Davina
OP Anti-faff 26 Jun 2016
In reply to petegunn:

I'm really chuffed you've done Flange Crack, I thought it would only be me that bothered with it, it looks really nice. There are no recorded ascents on here and I've asked the old timers in the club and it could be 15-20 years since it was last climbed so good on you.

Tried Moonflower the other day, felt pretty scary. Might be a year or two before I can get up it.

I'll run the clean up day past the club, shouldn't take to much to keep on top of it now. I've really enjoyed doing it to be honest, Like a weird version of Field of Dreams; 'clean it and they will come!'

All the best.

Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...