UKC

Wild camp routes in north west Scotland? (Assynt/Sutherland)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
billyoxford 13 Jun 2016
Hello

Me and my friend are looking into doing a walking trip in the far north west of Scotland that incorporates some wild camping. The really remote and rugged area of Assynt or Sutherland (Ullapool upwards really) really interests us. I would love to do a route that maybe involves mountains that have always fascinated me such as Suilven or Ben More Assynt (maybe camping on either and watching the sunrise). We are looking to do a 3/4 day route with at least 1 night of wild camping (although I realise there's not many campsites or accommodation in this area for the nights that we are not wild camping).

We are quite experienced walkers and I have climbed Stac Pollaidh, a few miles north of Ullapool where I experienced astonishing views north of Scotland's beautiful far north west, which really captivated me and I'm desperate to go back.

However we are struggling to work out a route as I understand many paths that do exist do not in fact exist on the OS map! Has anybody done any multi-day routes in this area? Or have any ideas of what we could do?

Thanks!
Billy
Removed User 13 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:

Mcpish's Sutherland Way.

http://www.sutherlandtrail.co.uk/
 CurlyStevo 13 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:
you could also investigate the fisherfield / fionn loch area its amazingly beautiful around that part of the world

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11646

I've not walked back there but I've climbed around the area and driven down loch maree - which is one of the most photographed areas of Scotland for good reason.

http://www.landandlight.co.uk/gallery-images/Loch-Maree-Slattadale.jpg
Post edited at 14:46
In reply to billyoxford:

You're in luck: the area could have been tailor made for wild backpacking peak bagging missions.

Stevo's Fisherfield suggestion is a brilliant option but just staying with your preferred Assynt type area there's plenty to be getting on with. Save Fisherfield for another trip maybe.

A random thought:

One problem with linking Suilven with its immediate neighbours to the south such as Cul Mor is the water. Loch Veyatie and the Fionn Loch are right in the way. You could aim to swim, or as some have done to good effect carry an inflatable... but it's a hassle I've not personally bothered with. The same is true to a less drastic extent if you're wanting to link Ben More Coigach with the Assynt heartland (though the water is more easily outflanked here).

Instead of all that, what about starting in Lochinver (shop, accommodation) and doing a big 4-day (ish) semicircle: first inland to Suilven, then Canisp (well worthwhile for views alone), then down to Inchnadamph. You could do that all in a single day or stretch it over two with a wild camp/bothy en route. There's a hostel at Inchnadamph. From here you've a couple of options to get onto Ben More Assynt and Conival (do you like scrambling?). Then continue NW along the high ground to Glas Bheinn. Another wild camp maybe. Across the road you've then got Quinag, which would be the icing on the cake for this particular round. After than you've either got to contrive a long low-level wiggle back to Lochinver (bogs and dozens of lochans will complicate matters, but I'm sure it's do-able), or drop to the road nr west end of Loch assynt and then just a short hitchhike back to town...

Alternatively:

Kylesku to Inchnadamph as a (wiggly) linear walk with a hitchhike back to the start. Loch Glendu; Glencoul bothy; Stac of Glencoul; Eas a' Chuall Aluinn waterfall (is this britain's highest? I can't remember); then glas Bheinn to Ben More Assynt and Conival. Quick getaway option to Inchnadamph from here for a hostel night, or alternatively do Breabag too, which is a fascinating hill. Then down to the road via the Bone Caves, and chance your arm for a ride home.
 CurlyStevo 13 Jun 2016
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Well Loch mareee area is a quite similar landscape and is only 30 miles as the crow flies south of Cul Mor. I must say I love that part of Scotland (ie proper NW). Not made it past Sheigra yet to the north and never been over the East side either.
Post edited at 17:14
 Jack Frost 14 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:

Starting from Ullapool...east along Glen Achall to Strath Oykel (bothies), then north west to traverse Breabag or Ben More Assynt&Conival. Then continuing north into Glen Coul--> Glen Dhu (more bothies) --> over to Achfary and over Arkle and/or Foinaven then drop to the A838 to catch the Durness Bike Bus back to Ullapool

http://www.inverness-durness-highland-bike-bus.co.uk/

Tim Davies 14 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:

We do DE up there. It's very easy to start at the coast, say Lochinver, head East, then south and then appear back on the coast near Stac Pollaidh.
Look for the natural fault lines on the maps as an easy way of getting across the landscape.
Camping spots- East of Ben more assynt, near loch Cam, west of Stac Pollaidh by the coast.

billyoxford 15 Jun 2016
Thank you for all your suggestions, I didn't realise there were so many options!

I really like the sound of the Sutherland Trail. We could use it to link Suilven, Canisp and Ben More Assynt. Then do a semi circle by going back west and doing Quinag (if we have enough energy). It's just how do we get back from Quinag back south west to Lochinver. As Dan says it would be a bit of a wiggle back, or we could just get on the road. I was a bit unsure about these kind of contrived routes over the open land, as it's hard to tell whether alot of the land around here is passable what with all the water/Lochs.

I've spoken to someone who has said that it may be possible linking Suilven to mountains in the south such as Cul Mor by going in between Loch Veyatie and Fionn Loch. There will be a water crossing, but it maybe doable without a dingy if the water is not too high. Has anybody done this before?

The fisherfield / fionn loch area does look stunning and that report does look amazing! We will definitely consider it.

Haven't heard of the Durness bike bus either, what a great service to have. Been looking for a service like this for ages. Might come in handy if it's on our route and we are hanging.

It's good to know that it's a good area to do this kind of thing. At the moment we are veering towards doing a route which combines Suilven, Canisp and Ben More Assynt, but are still planning. I would love to camp on one of them, especially Suilven. Has anybody here ever camped on any of these three mountains?

Dauphin 15 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:

Try and go when it's been dry for a couple of weeks. Its nice and spongy underfoot at the moment rather than miles of hateful bog.

D
 Paul Evans 17 Jun 2016
In reply to billyoxford:

Or do the northern bit of the Cape Wrath trail, starting from Ullapool, and then bus / train / bus back to Ullapool. Its on walkhighlands here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cape-wrath-trail.shtml , and also has its own website - http://capewrathtrailguide.org/
In reply to billyoxford:

people have done the water crossing - http://www.gofar.org.uk/transassyntrun.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...