UKC

NEWS: Action on the Infinite Spur - Alaska

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Jun 2016
Extreme camping level 1- sloping ledge, 4 kbBritish climbers Pete Graham, Ben Silvestre and Will Harris recently completed the tenth ascent (first British) of the 3000m long Infinite Spur on Mt. Foraker (Sultana) 5,304 m, in Alaska.

Mt Foraker, originally named Sultana by the indigenous Tanaina Athabascan people, is the second highest peak in the Central Alaska Range. The Infinite Spur was first climbed in 1977 by American climbers George Lowe and Michael Kennedy. It has now had just 11 ascents.

The most recent ascent was an audacious and fast solo by American climber Colin Haley. Although Colin's ascent went to plan, he was hit by a violent storm on descent.

Here British climber Pete Graham tells his story of the Infinite Spur (Grade 6 5.9 M5 AI4):

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

Great report. Nice one Ben, Pete & Will!
 robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Very inspirational - well done
 JR 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Waddage!
 SteveM 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Wow. Just wow.
 Paul Figg 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Well done boys, looks and sounds fantastic.
 Wft 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

so good, well done
 smithaldo 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News: 10th ascent! I can't believe this is even classed as climbing news. Id much rather read about the first foreign ascent of something like Hubble.

danm 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Sounds like such a brilliant adventure, nice one.
 Rick Graham 14 Jun 2016
In reply to smithaldo:

I pressed a like, even at my age I understand what means.

Well done son and pals.
 Misha 14 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Great work, what next?
 Rick Graham 15 Jun 2016
In reply to smithaldo:

> 10th ascent! I can't believe this is even classed as climbing news. Id much rather read about the first foreign ascent of something like Hubble.

Be careful what you wish for, its off the front page now, some boulderer has got a scratch on the forehead

smithaldo 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:
MUCH bigger news.

I sort of new it before but It's obvious to me now that bouldering has more objective danger than routes like the infinite spur.

Damo 16 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC News:

It's worth reading Colin's typically comprehensive and accurate blog post about these ascents, particularly his comments re: his solo, about gear and strategy: http://www.colinhaley.com/infinite-spur-laps/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...