UKC

500px/Stock Photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudmonkey 15 Jun 2016

Has anyone ever tried selling stock photos and made any supplementary income from it?

Just been putting some stuff up on 500px and some stock websites out of curiosity. I realise it's very competitive, not very lucrative and you must target specific concepts and what editors are looking for rather than what you like taking photos of. I also realise there are millions of far more talented photographers than me out there trying to do the same!

I'll just sit back now and wait for the money to come rolling in

https://500px.com/mudmonkey5#
Post edited at 16:42
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

I have been submitting to Alamy for a couple of years now and have made a couple of hundred quid. Realistically (economically) it is not the best use of my time but it is enjoyable and really makes you look at your pics in a critical way.
I guess if I was more 'professional' about it, I could generate a decent revenue stream,

Chris
 broken spectre 15 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

Some great snaps! I'm drawn to the Sea Gull/Gormley but it's way out of my price range!!
OP mudmonkey 15 Jun 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Ha, how much are they asking for it then? Not really figured out how they are pricing up licensing or any of that and not sure I can see it on my own photos! I would offer to make good price, 100% fair for you but would probably fall foul of UKC commercial rules!
 broken spectre 15 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

$149 for print ($34 for web resolution) - I wonder how much of that you'd see!
OP mudmonkey 15 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Ha, you're not wrong Chris - it's very time consuming and the uploading facilities on the websites are bloody awful. I'd be happy with a few hundred quid a year and improving self-critique!
OP mudmonkey 15 Jun 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Not much I suspect and although I quite like that photo I doubt I would pay $149 for a print!
 krikoman 15 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:
My mate has sold some stuff on a web site that produces cards and cups and normal pictures but I don't know what it's called I'm afraid.

they give him a cut of what ever is sold.

He hasn't given up his day job at the council yet either.
Post edited at 16:54
 MikeTS 15 Jun 2016
In reply to mudmonkey5:

500px seems to me (I have tried) to be a very difficult place to get noticed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...