UKC

Aviva Women's Tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jun 2016
I watched the stage finish today - cracking stuff with the best women riders in the world. Saw Lizzie Armitstead, Marianne Vos, Emma Pooley et al. Friend's teenage daughter got a picture with Lizzie, who was lovely. Made the girl's day.

Anyone else watched or will be watching any of it?
 Caralynh 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The tour went straight past my daughter's nursery and they had all the little ones out cheering. I'd have gone along, but no parking anywhere near, (very rural nursery and the road past was naturally closed) and the rain was torrential as they went past. Much as I wish the ladies well, I couldn't deal with a half hour walk in full waterproof to see them going past for a couple of mins, and a half hour walk back to the car. Little 'un can say she was there though
OP Yanis Nayu 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

Just seen my daughter's old primary school on the telebox, with all the kids out cheering.
Gone for good 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

My daughters primary school all turned out to watch it as well. Is it being shown on the TV?
Was the finish in Stratford?
In reply to Gone for good:

> My daughters primary school all turned out to watch it as well. Is it being shown on the TV?

> Was the finish in Stratford?

It's just finished on ITV4. Yes it was. There was total access to the riders after the event, although they were cold and wet. I watched the stage winner cooling down on the rollers and had an awkward moment when I noticed and recognised Emma Pooley then realised I was staring at her getting changed.
In reply to Gone for good:

My wife just said she thinks it's repeated tomorrow at midday-ish.
Gone for good 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thanks for the info.

cragtyke 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Hi Carl,

ITV4 as below
Stage 1 - Wednesday 15th June - 21:00 (repeated the following day at 12:40)
Stage 2 - Thursday 16th June - 21:00 (repeated the following day at 12:35)
Stage 3 - Friday 17th June - 22:30 (repeated the following day at 12:00)
Stage 4 - Saturday 18th June - 22:30 (repeated the following day at 08:55)
Stage 5 - Sunday 19th June - 22:30 (repeated the following day at 11:40)

All the programmes will also be available on the ITV Hub catch-up service for 30-days on demand.

Babika 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes!

I went along to the start at Atherstone - lots of razzmatazz and a podium in the market square - all good fun. I was lucky enough to see the riders twice as we dashed up an alleyway and caught them on the road round the back. Quite hard work as they move so fast, very impressive.

I've recorded ITV4 so will be catching up later but there were a couple of football matches to fit in as well today.....
 nufkin 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> cracking stuff with the best women riders in the world.

Very much so - but I was struck by the commentators mentioning that special permission had to be granted from the UCI to make the stage 140km. Is this a patronising discrepancy, or are there good reasons I don't know about why the women aren't considered able to race stages as long as the men's?
 Chris Harris 16 Jun 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> Very much so - but I was struck by the commentators mentioning that special permission had to be granted from the UCI to make the stage 140km. Is this a patronising discrepancy, or are there good reasons I don't know about why the women aren't considered able to race stages as long as the men's?

Got to finish early so they can get home to cook dinner & do the cleaning.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jun 2016
In reply to nufkin:

It does seem a bit odd doesn't it, a bit unnecessary. The race is taking a step up this year - no longer sticking to the flat lands - apparently in response to requests from the riders. Tomorrows stage should be very interesting

It's all a bit chicken and egg - there is clearly a lack of depth in the sport, but that's cos of the lack of money, and it takes time to build up the interest that will bring in the sponsors. It does mean the racing tends to be more exciting and less predictable- it was a real pity about the transmission problems with the Tour de Yorkshire - I think far more happened in the woman's race than stage 2 for the men. But whereas the men all finished together, the women were strung out over 30 mins or more.

There's also the fact that the longest stages in the men's races are often the most boring - necessary as a means of getting across the country without excessive time spent in the bus, but dull days where a truce is declared.

But, as you say, it's a bit patronising when casual riders like myself look a stage and think "that's a bit tame"
OP Yanis Nayu 17 Jun 2016
In reply to nufkin:

Yesterday's stage was actually 140.6km, but they advertised it as 140 to stick within the rules. Seems a bit mad. The longer the stage the slower they go and vice versa, so it seems a moot point to me anyway.
OP Yanis Nayu 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Regarding the nature of the racing, apparently women's racing tends to be more exciting in that there are more breaks and attacks and attackers reeled in during a stage than for the typical men's stage, with the question being will the early break be reeled in by the end. A simplified view I know. Why that is I'm not sure.
 Nevis-the-cat 17 Jun 2016
Pretty much spot on. The lack of money into women's racing meant the stages a little more modest, and the UCI has historically been worried about the little poppits. The said little poppits are more than capable of handing it to the men and race aggressively and adeptly. There is no reason why they can't race the same course as the men. women's marathon races are the same courses, plenty of female ultra runners out there so why the UCI sticks with the shortened course idea is beyond me.

it will also open up racing to mor women, as there is an over representation of sprinter physiques, with Vos, Johannson and Armitstead desperate to get hillier more challenging routes to race.

I often prefer to watch women's racing and there's a lot more going on, rather than roll out the neutral zone, break away, reel in break away, sprint to line.

I watched yesterday and it was apocryphal at times - chapeau.

I looked out the window at 4pm and elected to bail the West Midlands Road League race....I didn't fancy 40 mph with 50 other idiots in those conditions.....
Post edited at 08:15
 Chris the Tall 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Why that is I'm not sure.

As I say I think it's down to strength in depth. Women's cycling at the moment can only sustain a small elite of fully professional riders - even someone as talented as Emma Pooley gave up a couple of years back due to the lack of funding (back this season, lured by Rio).

So it's much easier to break up the peloton and breaks more likely to succeed, because there isn't the strength in the peloton to club together to control the race.
 Chris the Tall 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

> UCI has historically been worried about the little poppits.... There is no reason why they can't race the same course as the men....

Agree there is no need for the restriction, but just because women can ride the same course doesn't mean they should - there is more than one flavour and mixing things makes it more interesting. Some of the mens races have become dull because they are so hard

> I watched yesterday and it was apocryphal at times - chapeau.

Apocalyptic perhaps ?

> I looked out the window at 4pm and elected to bail the West Midlands Road League race....I didn't fancy 40 mph with 50 other idiots in those conditions.....

Did the Grindleford fell race with 350 idiots - mud, bogs and a river crossing, heavy rain throughout and the odd rumble of thunder to add a sense of urgency as you ran through an open field
 Nevis-the-cat 17 Jun 2016

yes - apocalyptic. Damn this predictive texsht
 Chris the Tall 19 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Annoying that Itv4 are putting on the highlights so late, I'm a day out. But Friday was, as expected, a great race, an exceptional win for LA and a moving gesture on the finish line.

I had a look at the times up Bank Road in Matlock. I've only ridden it once, but was quite pleased by the fact I dropped my mate on it. So how does my time compare to the women ? 6:15 to 3:30 !! Chapeau
 nniff 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Bah humbug! I managed to miss it all. A mix of it being on late, when I was doing other things, my failure to make a recording and it being miles away.

I recall how much better a race the women's Olympic road race was than the men's - the weather was grim then too.

I was out marshalling a local road race on Thursday (got soaked). It was headlight-dark under the trees. Not good racing conditions. Bunch finish too - tricky to sort out who came where. Lots of peering at blurry photos and video and trying to work out numbers from other photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...