UKC

Tatra mountains, Poland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ambrazoni 18 Jun 2016
Karakorum Experience are offering a long weekend from Krakow to ascend the highest peak. Does anyone have experience of this area please? And what about the Eagle's Path trip (Orla Perc) as it looks exposed so a rope might be good. I don't speak Polish by the way.
 Babika 18 Jun 2016
In reply to ambrazoni:

If you mean Rysy, I've done it from the Slovakian side - much nicer IMHO
Pretty straightforward walk in lovely scenery - Slovakia have largely got "the Tatras" on their side of the border from Poland.
Ryanair go to Bratislava and with cheap car hire you could easily do it in a weekend yourself - depends on whether you'd rather see Krakow or Bratislava.
Expect the summit to be very crowded and weather can be bad as its pretty high. Rained for hours on the August day that I summited!
On ORLA PERC you dont need a rope.
It's an advance scrambling altough 1 or 2 death cases each year appears on this trail.
It depands how good you are on the rock.
It s very crowded from june till september as weel as Rysy mountain.
If you want to do some climbing i could give some suggestion.
Let me know what grade you climb at and i can give you some good routes samples
OP ambrazoni 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris Sieradzki:

Many thanks Chris. The photos I saw make it difficult to assess. As to climbing, I can lead severe and maybe VS on a good day. Any suggestions will be much appreciated as to routes and also where to stay.
OP ambrazoni 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Babika:

Many thanks Babika. I will definitely check it out. By the way, are maps best bought locally or at somewhere like Stamfords?
 Babika 18 Jun 2016
In reply to ambrazoni:

I bought in advance from Stanfords (or Cordee). Probably a bit more expensive than local but the advance planning is more fun with a map!
 mrphilipoldham 18 Jun 2016
In reply to ambrazoni:

I've done Rysy but only in February. I stopped at Morskie Oko for a couple of nights, it was fantastic. Good food, good beer and cheap. But from what I hear, it's hell on Earth during the Summer months with the amount of tourists.

Orla Perc is on the to do list..
 proandras 20 Jun 2016
In reply to ambrazoni:

Mountain huts in High-Tatras are relatively small (especially the Rysy hut), so in summer weekends they could be full. Book in time, even a month or more forward.
In reply to ambrazoni:

The best places to stay is Morskie Oko hut or Dolina 5 Stawow hut. Both very crowded in the summer.
Regarding routes in the grade up to VS I would recommand 1. Orlowski on Mnich, 2 Staszel pillar on Granaty, 3 Lewi Wrzesniacy on Zamarla Turnia
4. 100 on Zadni Koscielec.
I have never done any of them but these are classics.
There is much more climbing on Slovakian side of the range.
 olddirtydoggy 23 Jun 2016
In reply to ambrazoni:
I did it later in the season from the Rostoki hut. The crowds around there are huge in the summer so understand you're not going to get much solitude. The Rysy path from the Polish side is well marked as is everything around there. Orla Perc is a very exposed scramble and one slip could be fatal. No rope is needed.
I bought a map from Stamfords to preplan but you could get one there. I wouldn't bother using a booking company, just book it yourself but make sure you book the hut long in advance, it's crazy busy in all 3 of them Polish side.
Kozi Wierch is a nice hike.
Post edited at 07:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...