UKC

PRESS RELEASE: Dave MacLeod signs for La Sportiva

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 20 Jun 2016
Dave MacLeod making the most of a challenging injury, 3 kbLyon Equipment has announced that top British climber Dave MacLeod is signing as an ambassador for La Sportiva footwear.

Read more
 Gazlynn 20 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Nice one..

First dibbs on your old Scarpa footwear Dave?

cheers

Gaz
 kipman725 20 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Going from scarpa to sportiva doesn't make much sense. The last is so different one of the two must have fit him terribly. I'm not sure anyone could pay me enough money to wear shoes that didn't fit.
 1poundSOCKS 20 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:
> Going from scarpa to sportiva doesn't make much sense. The last is so different one of the two must have fit him terribly.

The two shoes that fit me best are the Scarpa Vapour V and the La Sportiva Otaki.

Oh, and for trad, the Scarpa Force X and the La Sportiva TC Pro.

But a lot of Scarpa and La Sportiva don't fit at all.
Post edited at 11:57
 jon 20 Jun 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Same for me too - Instinct orange and LS Cobras.
 planetmarshall 20 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:
> Going from scarpa to sportiva doesn't make much sense. The last is so different one of the two must have fit him terribly.

I have a pair of Vapours for indoor use, and Miura lace for outdoor trad. Both fit fine.

And I seriously doubt Dave would wear shoes he wasn't 100% happy with.
Post edited at 11:57
 zebidee 20 Jun 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:

> And I seriously doubt Dave would wear shoes he wasn't 100% happy with.

And if he's not happy with them you (not you directly obviously as I'm agreeing with you) don't think David won't be able to have an input to the design?
In reply to kipman725:
I think this is a historic stereotype that only applies to a few models. I've certainly switched between the two brands over the years, from Katana Lace-Ups/Genius to Instinct VS/Instinct Lace, and had no problems whatsoever.

I am also confident that Dave, one of the most methodical climbers out there, wouldn't make a decision upon anything other than performance and fit.
Post edited at 12:05
 Fraser 20 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:

I'd disagree. As others have said, some models from both makers fit me well others don't. Pick wisely based on fit, and comfort and you'll be fine.

In reply to UKC Gear:

Here's Dave's blog post on his move to La Sportiva http://davemacleod.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/new-sponsor-la-sportiva.html
 colin8ll 20 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:

I wonder if smashing up his ankle has changed his shoe requirements?
 Michael Gordon 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> I think this is a historic stereotype that only applies to a few models.

He would be very much correct if we were talking about mountaineering boots or approach shoes (and I'm very surprised if MacLeod previously found Scarpa winter boots fitted well given his professed enthusiasm for the Sportiva ones). Probably doesn't apply for their rock shoes however.

Dave Ferguson 20 Jun 2016
In reply to kipman725:

He's only got to wear them for the photos though, he can wear what he likes when he's actually climbing.
 humptydumpty 20 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:
I've just gone through a pair of Katanas in 6 weeks. I guess Mr MacLeod climbs a bit more than me, so I reckon he'll need a new pair of LS rock shoes every 8 days. This would be 46 pairs of shoes per year, so this sponsorship deal is worth a fair bit.

Of course, there is a chance he has better footwork than me...
Post edited at 22:20
 Damo 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> ... wouldn't make a decision upon anything other than performance and fit.

... and money.

He's a pro. This is a business deal. Money is never irrelevant.
 zimpara 21 Jun 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Ohh for christ sakes. What is it with the katanas? Mine delaminated after a week.
Really disapointing.
In reply to zimpara:

Seems that the feedback people give for katanas is hit and miss. I've climed on mine 3 days a week for 6 months and they're going strong, miles away from being exhiled to the stink pile.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...