UKC

Mull

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Strachan 21 Jun 2016
Hi, Hopefully this is in the right forum...

I am heading to Scotland for a week in July with my girlfriend. For 4 days we are staying on Mull, and I was hoping to use at least one of these days for hill walking. She doesn't have any experience of this (although she does run, cycle, do triathlons, so fitness isn't an issue). I am looking to do something that will hopefully get her at least a bit interested in the mountains, so ideally very scenic, with a summit or 2, as well as being fairly adventurous (i.e. off the beaten track... I'll be navigating so no problems with that) and non-technical (I'd set Striding Edge kind-of-level as an upper limit). I just thought I'd see if anyone had any interesting suggestions, beyond a straightforward up-and-down of Ben More?

Also interested if anyone has any suggested fresh water wildswimming locations on the island?

Any help much appreciated, thanks!
 digby 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Ben More is definitely a good walk especially if you take a circular route via Beinn Fhada, then along the ridge of A' Chioch to the summit. It's very dramatic but not difficult, and the views are stunning. Then descend on the easy track northwards.
The walkhighlands site is a good source for walks http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/
 skog 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

If you're wanting something a little different, have a look at the hills East of Ben More.

A lovely, medium-sized day, is a circuit of Cruachan Dearg, Corra Bheinn, Beinn a'Mheadhain and Cruach Choireadail from their South West side, perhaps with a stop off for a dip in a pool under a waterfall on the way down (one of the hill burns above Craig).

If you're bagging, two of these tops are Grahams. Whether or not you're bagging, they are beautiful hills.

http://www.ootnaboot.scot/mull201208/20120811-01Cruach_Choireadail_Panorama...

http://www.ootnaboot.scot/mull201208/20120811-02Waterfall.jpg
 Simon Caldwell 21 Jun 2016
In reply to digby:

> It's very dramatic but not difficult, and the views are stunning.

I'd second that. We did it last month and it was brilliant. We descended NE rather than the tourist track, to Glen na Beinn Fhada, which has a beautiful stream with waterfalls, rock pools, etc. This would make a good alternative ascent if the addition of Beinn Fhada was a bit much.
 CurlyStevo 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Carsaig arches are well worth a walk. Not hill walking as such but the path has a reputation for being narrow and precipitous in places ( I thought it was ok and only the odd short section where a slip could be really bad). The arches are very scenic and the walk also nice.
 TobyA 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:
We did Ben More (normal route) a few weeks ago with the kids as their first ever 'proper' hill walk. My 10 year old claimed it was "torture", although the views are actually rather lovely and his brother strode up it with only minimal whining.
Post edited at 18:17
OP Strachan 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

These are all really useful, thanks very much! Skog, that picture of the waterfall and pool looks like exactly the sort of thing I had in mind! Do you happen to know where that is? Grid ref, or name etc? No worries if not!

CurlyStevo, the Carsaig Arches were something I'd already thought about, so it is useful to have that info. The short sketchy sections sound like they might be worth a little more research though, I don't want to scare her!

And Simon, that sounds ideal too, the more waterfalls and pools the better I think on this occasion, thanks.
 Colin Moody 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

> CurlyStevo, the Carsaig Arches were something I'd already thought about, so it is useful to have that info. The short sketchy sections sound like they might be worth a little more research though, I don't want to scare her!

It's fine, just need to watch your feet rather than the view.

Lord Lovat's Bay east of Loch Buie is a wild bit of coast, with good views from the top of the cliff.
Lord Lovat (I was told) was the last person to be publicly beheaded in Britain!

skog 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

> that picture of the waterfall and pool looks like exactly the sort of thing I had in mind! Do you happen to know where that is? Grid ref, or name etc?

It was roughly here: http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NM588300 - I was heading down that burn, and it tumbled over the cliff into that pool. I couldn't resist having a dip; it was just big enough to swim a short distance, and deep enough for full immersion.

The burn immediately SE of it has a number of waterfalls too, but I didn't investigate further and don't know whether there are any pools as good as this one.

I've also had a swim here: http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/maps/map.html?g=NM623289 on the way back from doing Ben Buie and Creach-Bheinn from Glen More to the North (also very pleasant hills http://www.ootnaboot.scot/mull201508/20150815-04Ben_Buie.jpg ). The loch there is shallow at the edges, with slippy rocks underfoot, but a lot more space to swim!
OP Strachan 22 Jun 2016
In reply to skog:

That's really helpful, thank you very much. I think whatever we end up doing a walk featuring that burn will need to be worked into our stay somehow!

Cheers
 skog 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Enjoy - Mull's a wonderful island.
 Mike Peacock 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

As well as Ben More there's also Ben Buie to consider which is, dare I say it, perhaps the more interesting mountain.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2451641
The east ridge to Cnap nan Gobhar is full of optional scrambly slabs:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4453087

You can do it from Loch Buie - it is possible to ascend/descend from the summit south to the village, but it's steep and you need to locate a short scree rake that breaches the summit cliffs. I assume it's also possible to do the east ridge and descend northwards to Glen More.
 Sharp 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Ben More is a lovely and dramatic walk if you approach up the glen and go along the ridge, it looks quite intimidating and we went a little off route on the final ridge to the summit but it's all easy ground.

Make sure you go to Erraid!
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Had a fabulous week on Mull at the beginning of May - scorchio !

Didn't do any climbing or hill walking, but I can highly recommend a visit to the island of Ulva - I loved the mountain biking, whilst my wife raved about the seafood in the cafe ! And just north is a stunning waterfall (actually a series of 3) called Eas Fos - probably too small for much wild swimming, but it does have the feel of an infinity pool.
 Simon Caldwell 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Not sure if July is too late for puffins but if not then the Treshnish Isles boat is well worth the £60 they charge, it was knee deep in puffins!
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

We did Staffa, only £30 and saw some puffins - not exactly knee deep, but a lovely moment when I looked over and saw a pair flying along side the boat. Well worth it.

Then again, if you like puffins, Flamborough Head is a lot easier to get to.

OP Strachan 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:

Apologies for taking so long to come back to this. Those suggestions are all great, again. I am really keen to see puffins, and the girlfriend wants to go on a boat trip, so may well do that.

Eas Fos sounds ideal too, thanks for the suggestion.

What is the reason for saying go to Erriad, out of interest? We will be in that area for beaches of the weather cooperates, so should be able to work it in, I'm just curious.

On a slightly different note, has anyone been to Cruachan power station? Was thinking about trying to work a visit in if its worth going? Also interested as to how much time should be built in for this?

Thanks again everyone, brilliant.
 CurlyStevo 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:
Erraid? Well its quite pretty I suppose
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8027420@N04/871323381
Post edited at 15:50
 Pkrynicki1984 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:

I rented an amazing cottage at Carsaig bay... which is well worth a visit and obviously Crasaig arches can be walked too from here as others have mentioned.

Erraid beaches are amzing as is a visit to Iona!
 Bob Aitken 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:
Most of what you need to know about the Cruachan power station and visits to it is at -
http://www.visitcruachan.co.uk/pages/guided_tour.asp

I'd suggest that visiting that site is all the visit you need, unless you have a professional interest in pumped storage generation, or are fired up by the concept of going deep into a mountain to visit the kind of turbine hall you can see in any hydro power station. But I confess I've never been very keen on going underground. Perhaps worth doing if the weather outside is vile.
 digby 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:

OMG I want to go back right now!
 Lankyman 12 Jul 2016
 Sealwife 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Strachan:

> On a slightly different note, has anyone been to Cruachan power station? Was thinking about trying to work a visit in if its worth going? Also interested as to how much time should be built in for this?

Went to Cruachan Power Station last year (bad weather day, in fact, one out of many bad weather days), and tbh, I wouldn't have bothered had I known how little we were allowed to see. Yes, we went underground but it was a short minibus ride, followed by a short walk to a little room with a window in it. From the window you could just about see the hall with the turbines in it. And that was it. I had hoped to get onto the hall floor for a proper look or even out onto the walkway above the hall, but that wasn't allowed. Was disappointed.
OP Strachan 13 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Okay, I'm sold.
OP Strachan 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Not a professional interest in pumped storage particularly. Sustainability, yes, but more from a chemical standpoint. I guess it's non-professional curiosity really, so if it's crap (it sounds that way!) then perhaps I'll put it on the terrible-weather-only list!
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

We didn't quite make it to Erraid (the tide times weren't quite right) but the whole area is similarly scenic. We had a great afternoon at School Crag, Mull.
 CurlyStevo 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Yeah that's true and Erraid its self isn't so great for walking. The only real path of sorts - goes through a long bog, then its quite heathery going any where except the main beach. It may be just as nice walking along the coast around there IMO, probably quieter also.

I reckon that end of Mull around Erraid and Iona is especially nice coast line though. Still its a pretty island anyway.
Post edited at 10:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...