UKC

Conditions in the Vanoise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 srah 21 Jun 2016
Hi
A group of 8 of us are heading to do the walking tour of the Vanoise starting at the weekend. We were wondering what it's like on the higher passes and if axes or crampons are needed.? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Orla
 Bob Aitken 21 Jun 2016
In reply to srah:

I haven't heard reports of conditions this season in the Vanoise, so can only generalise from past experience, but usually by the end of June most of the balcon sections will be clear. The Col de la Vanoise and the Col de Chaviere may well still have extensive snowfields, but they're mostly low-gradient. You won't see many French walkers with axes. But the north side of the Col d'Aussois, if you should choose to go that way, is quite a long steepish snowfield with rock-and-boulder runouts, and I've been glad of the reassurance of an axe going down there at this point in the season. It partly depends on your party - if you've limited experience of alpine snow I'd be inclined to avoid crossing the Aussois in that direction.

You could try ringing the Nat Park information office or the Bureau des Guides in Pralognan, but I've found them rather reluctant to give advice when they can't judge your competence - understandably they tend to err on the side of caution.

Hope you get great weather, it's a superb tour.
OP srah 21 Jun 2016
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Hi Bob
Thanks for that. Its very useful. We will have some alternative routes planned.
Thanks Orla
 nathan79 22 Jun 2016
In reply to srah:

Did it last year (the shorter 5 day trip). There was very little snow. Even the highest point the col de Chaviere, there was a patch to cross but it wasn't too bad.

As I say this was last year so it could be different this time around.

Its a great trip. Thoroughly enjoyed the views and the wildlife. Ibex, golden eagles, vultures, the ubiquitous marmots and fine huts. Creme brulet seems to be the dessert of choice.
 Pinch'a'salt 22 Jun 2016
In reply to srah:

Conditions out here are more like mid-May than mid-June at the moment (still quite a bit of ski touring action going on on the very highest peaks (Grande Casse etc). I haven't been out in the hills the last few weeks for various reasons but it definitely more snowy, and lower, than normal. I would imagine the higher passes on the Vanoise tour 'should' be OK, but as Bob Aitken mentions above the North sides of the cols will certainly have more snow than normal.

Again repeating info above a call to (or into) the guides bureau in Pralognan, or any of the relevant hut guardians, should give you the info... Enjoy (and pray for better weather than the last 4 weeks...!).
OP srah 22 Jun 2016
In reply to Pinch'a'salt:

Thanks for everyone's info. Really looking forward to the trip now.
 mariustwite 25 Jun 2016
In reply to srah:

Hi Orla,
Don't know if this is too late for you, but I was up in the south west of the Vanoise yesterday and walked up to col de Masse. The snow line was around 2,500m with a mixture of old and fresh snow. There wasn't a great depth of fresh snow (only a few cm), but beware as the snow was starting to get very mushy by around 11am. Shouldn't stop you progressing, but you'll need suitable kit (crampons & axe) and it may be slower than you expect!
Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...