UKC

Holcombe Boulders- location/ approach?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teapot 22 Jun 2016
I am keen to visit Holcombe boulders this PM

I have PMd just Mr Mueller for approach info, but if anyone on here could explain the location and approach, then that would be much appreciated.

I know its in Lancashire Bouldering (definitely on my bday list!)- but I have not got it yet and am keen to scope out this spot today as I have a few hours free.

If someone has the topo too then that would be even better.

Antony Mariani 22 Jun 2016
In reply to teapot:

The boulders are scattered around the eastern and south eastern flank of the hill, some of which are difficult to locate without the guide. However, one little slab is directly in front of the tower and easy to find.

Harcles Quarry is also easy to find - it is to the North of the tower, with a good track leading to it from the northern branch of the main track up to the tower. The main quarry has a nice traverse in the pit at the back, and the "small quarry" has a nice traverse along the obvious clean wall. Many other problems exist, but don't go expecting too much!!

robin mueller 22 Jun 2016
In reply to teapot:

Sorry, been out all day. Guessing you've been by now?

Easiest way is to park as for peel tower, head up to the tower and head left along the rim, keeping an eye out for boulders at the top of the slope. The guidebook has a map which makes individual areas easier to locate, but otherwise just go exploring and have some lowball fun!

Don't seem to have a message from you btw - where did you send it?
OP teapot 23 Jun 2016
In reply to robin mueller:

I am sure having the guide book would have helped. I spent an hour searching, but did not find much of interest. It was during school hours as my climbers have exams atm, so it was actually a pleasant break from lesson planning.

There was one high(i.e. 4 m) quarry that looked a bit loose. It seemed to have one or two sit start boulder problems beneath it, which looked ok, but I was really after 4-6B grade. I must have missed sections as I did not find much rock tbh. I only walked around the side towards Holcombe, so perhaps I should have wandered a little further.

I have put in a request with my outdoor pursuits manager and he is buying a school copy of your guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...