UKC

Lakes events this weekend - X Tri / Ten Peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 22 Jun 2016
On a cheery non-referendum note, it's almost the weekend so it's clearly 'endurance event' time... for those of you who do that sort of thing.

I'm heading up to the Lake District as my husband is doing the Lakes X Tri, which he's a bit nervous about (last time he did an Ironman he proposed to me in the middle of it so at least he doesn't have that pressure this time round...), and my best friend is doing the Ten Peaks (the 'short' (hah!) course). Anyone else doing either of these?
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

No, but we're in the area so might join Joss on his latest challenge
https://www.brathay.org.uk/caldbeck-to-wasdale
 Chris the Tall 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

> (last time he did an Ironman he proposed to me in the middle of it so at least he doesn't have that pressure this time round...)

Isn't that a bit like proposing when drunk ? Perfect excuse to deny it later, or at least blame it on delirium ?

I see there is also an ultra marathon (110km) around Ambleside next weekend. Is no one normal these days, content with just doing sensible distances ? I'll be waving to them as I sat outside the Britannia with a pint of Bluebird.

Mind you, I'm planning to do the Fred Whitton route on Monday....

OP Tall Clare 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The Fred Whitton is the bike leg of his triathlon. He did it last week as a recce and said bits were 'steep'.
In reply to Tall Clare:

http://www.wasdalex.co.uk/index.php/full-x-2016

Wow - that certainly makes my plans look puny. Again I'll toast the poor sods as they stumble past the Britannia !
 steveriley 23 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oof, bits are indeed 'steep'. Still you're nicely warmed up by 80 miles in. That run will be character building after the Fred then
In reply to steveriley:

I see they are starting off with the Struggle, as opposed to the usual route up Kirkstone via Troutbeck. That'll be nice when you are still recovering from the swim.

I've only ever done one of the 6 big climbs - Newlands - and remember I had to stop 4 times and almost threw up. And I know Hardknott and Wyrnose are worse.

But at least I'll be able to have a beer at the finish - not run up Scafell first.

TC - forget to say good luck to your OH, nutter though he is !
OP Tall Clare 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Reporting back... it turns out the Triathlon X course is 'tough'. Mr TC came in 32nd and now feels a bit weary. My best friend set a new ladies course record for the Ten Peaks short course, so there's much jubilation (and ibuprofen) round here this morning.
 Chris the Tall 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

When I was in Wilfs (Staveley) at 3, trying to summon up enthusiasm to do 20 miles on MTB in torrential rain, I was thinking how grim it must be for those out on Hardknott and Wrynose. But I gather it somehow stayed dry in Langdale (at least until today). Lucky, lucky, lucky !

Saw plenty of them going past throughout the evening - all in good humour, even the poor guy who had missed the cutoff, but was running back to Ambleside in support of others. 32nd in a field like that seems pretty impressive to me.

Have to say I was a bit surprised by the feed station at Wainwrights - a bowl of cold chips, a bowl of jelly babies and some malt loaf . I know it's hard to consume anything at that point, but I'd expected a bit more variety of sweets and cakes.

Just hope it's going to dry up soon - my reputation as the rain God of the lakes is growing stronger!
OP Tall Clare 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

A lot of people came in really late - 147 started and I think a lot were still coming in just before the cut off. The rain, when it fell, was super-heavy - Mr TC said he was just delighted he wasn't descending Hardknott at the time...

The organisation was a bit chaotic, with no tracking, some curious marshalling, and not enough kayaks in the water, as there was a heavy mist which meant swimmers couldn't see where they were going. Hopefully the organisers will take that on board for next time.
 Swirly 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

That explains the 10 miles to go sign on the coast to coast in a day route. We thought we were flying!
 Doghouse 27 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

>

and not enough kayaks in the water, . . .. Hopefully the organisers will take that on board for next time.

I see what you did there
 Chris the Tall 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Tall Clare:

Did the Fred yesterday- woke up to heavy, unforcasted rain, but thankfully it dried up and apart from a bit of drizzle in the morning we had a dry day. It's not just for the descent of Hardknott that you want dry roads - there's no way you could do the climb and stay in the saddle, so you need all the traction you can get. Has to be the hardest road climb I've done - coming after 90 doesn't help, but still harder than Rosedale chimney

Got back just in time for the match - and wished I gone for a run up Scafell pike instead !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...