UKC

Australia to Ausexit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Big Ger 26 Jun 2016
> Meantime, here in Australia, well over a century after Federation, we are seen to be lacking confidence to go it alone, to run our own show, and are still pathetically clinging on to Mother Britain's skirts, even as Mother Britain races to the exits.

> It is time to end this farce. Both personally, and as chair of the Australian Republican Movement, I note there will never be a better time to have a Constitution that reflects the reality: we are our own people, forging our own destiny, and we need our own head of state.

> The Brits have turned their back on the EU, and good luck to them. But the EU is our second biggest trading partner. As ever, Australia's interests are different from Great Britain. We need a head of state who is one of us, to help steer that course!

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/scare-campaigns-at-10-paces-20160624-gpqy2x.h...
 john arran 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

Adioz? Wallabye?
 Bobling 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

See roo later!
 GarethSL 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

G'bye mate?
 MargieB 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
Oz could trade with UK and trade with EU but isn't the republicanism/ head of state issue not really connected directly to that? It's a separate idea isn't it? A question more of establishing identity?

The above are very rude and obviously identify with the muppets!
Post edited at 09:52
 MargieB 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

This is an aside really.
Our party politics in the UK is also changing and in an interesting cross fertilization of ideas, the Scottish referendum showed an interest in a political model similar to OZ. The EU referendum showed a preference for the points immigration system, also an Oz idea and I will predict that UK constitutional reform which will follow on from this EU referendum {as an adapting force} will use the OZ federal state and upper house model. The world is now, in a way cross communicating in ideas as never before.
 ScottTalbot 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MargieB:

> Oz could trade with UK and trade with EU but isn't the republicanism/ head of state issue not really connected directly to that? It's a separate idea isn't it? A question more of establishing identity?

> The above are very rude and obviously identify with the muppets!

I thought they were very droll, so have a Dislike... :-P
 Bobling 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MargieB:

> The above are very rude and obviously identify with the muppets!

Eh? Which muppets? Very rude? I was mostly just trying to raise a smile at yet another piece of godawful news, gallows humour if you will.

stevieb 26 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

But you can't do that, we've just voted to rebuild the empire
OP Big Ger 26 Jun 2016
In reply to MargieB:

> This is an aside really.

> Our party politics in the UK is also changing and in an interesting cross fertilization of ideas, the Scottish referendum showed an interest in a political model similar to OZ. The EU referendum showed a preference for the points immigration system, also an Oz idea and I will predict that UK constitutional reform which will follow on from this EU referendum {as an adapting force} will use the OZ federal state and upper house model. The world is now, in a way cross communicating in ideas as never before.

Very well said!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...