UKC

Driving in Czech, Slovenia and Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Xharlie 28 Jun 2016
Does anyone know the requirements to drive in Czech, Slovenia and Austria or where I can find them? I mean the unusual ones, apart from a car, fuel and a license.

I know that, here in Germany, you must have a first aid kit, spare wheel or compressor, emergency triangle, insurance paperwork, one of the car's papers and at least one high-vis vest. I believe that Austria additionally requires one high-vis vest per passenger and that all countries other than the home country of the vehicle require a "vignette" that one typically purchases at the border. For some reason, I think you need to carry a full set of spare bulbs in Czech but nobody I speak to can confirm that.

Hence the question.
 humptydumpty 28 Jun 2016
You need to have your side lights on all the time in Slovenia.
 full stottie 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

In Slovenia you need to buy a vignette (toll ticket) at the border if you are going to drive on any motorway or expressway. A weekly ticket was about 7.5 euros last year, or around £50 by the time Brexit kicks in.....

Dave

krikoman 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Think you need a Hi-Viz jacket for Slovenia too.
OP Xharlie 28 Jun 2016
In reply to krikoman:

Any idea how many? One for the driver or one per passenger? Also, must they be stowed in the cabin or is the boot (trunk) allowed? (One thing Škoda didn't get right is the glove box of my Auto. It just about fits an Aux cable if you coil it tightly.)
 Aigen 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie: Austria and Germany require. Only one high bis vest. Triangle, first aid kit. Germany no vignette Austria yes. I live on Austrian German boarder

pavelk 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

You need to carry spare fuses, spare bulbs, jack, spare wheel or tyre repair kit, triangle, hi-viz jacket, first aid kit and wheel nut wrench here in Czech. Lights on all the day. You have to buy vignete for motorways (on petrol stations). Avoid D1 motorway in peak hours (most of the day). It´ s horrible carpark because of roadwork.
Austrian police is very strict about hi-viz vest. It must fit EN 471and they control it from time to time. You must wear vest when you are leaving the car on the road. Lights on all the day. You must have triangle and first aid kit in Austria as well. You need vignette in Austria for motorways only, like in Czech. The price is simillar, 8,8 E for 10 days in Austria and 310 Czk (11,4E approximately)
 krikoman 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Sorry I don't know enough to answer, I just remember our hire car having a vest in the glove box.
OP Xharlie 29 Jun 2016
In reply to pavelk:

Right. So then I need to buy a set of spare fuses and spare bulbs before the weekend. Everything else, I have - it's pretty standard. (Although I might need two more hi-vis, because I only have one.)

Now I'm no car mechanic. Any idea how I find out which fuses and bulbs I need to buy? Also, as far as I know, Xenon headlamps can't be replaced outside of the workshop so I guess I only need spares for the rest - brake-lights and wot-not.
 Toerag 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

I've always bought one of the kits that have a selection of fuses and bulbs. Fuses are normally blade ones, but I've not seen a fusebox for a car produced after 2005.
 pavelk 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

You can buy some spare fuses and bulbs at any petrol station in Czech. The sets are usualy labeled for which type of car are they. You don´ t need xenons. Police is not too strict about that usually so it is unlikely they will care if your fuses (or bulbs) are the right type.
Be ready for many police patrols and terrible trafic this weekend because it is the beginning of holidays here - and it will be the same in Austria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...