UKC

Any Pembrokeshire Locals?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke01 28 Jun 2016
Contemplating a potential move and just wondering if there are any Pembrokeshire locals who can answer some questions?

Is there much of a local scene or are most climbers in the area visitors?
Are there any local walls or training dungeons for staying strong in the winter? Is it an issue if not, do you just climb outside year round?
Are there any secret bouldering spots that stay dry in torrential downpours?!

Basically, should I move there?!

Thanks in advance,
Luke
 John2 28 Jun 2016
In reply to Luke01:

There are a few locals - one of them leads E6. There's a climbing club which has evening meets in the summer. There is a new wall in Haverford West - it's not huge, but it's pretty good. There's also a smaller wall in Tenby. Most winters you get a few days in every month when you can climb outside, but last winter was too wet.

It's a nice place to live - depends what you want really. It's certainly nothing like living in Sheffield for a climber, which you may think of as a good thing or may think of as bad.
OP Luke01 29 Jun 2016
In reply to John2:

Great, thanks for the response. Food for thought...
In reply to Luke01:

> Contemplating a potential move and just wondering if there are any Pembrokeshire locals who can answer some questions?

> Is there much of a local scene or are most climbers in the area visitors?

> Are there any local walls or training dungeons for staying strong in the winter? Is it an issue if not, do you just climb outside year round?

> Are there any secret bouldering spots that stay dry in torrential downpours?!

> Basically, should I move there?!

> Thanks in advance,

> Luke

Also a lot of sport climbing in nearby 30min carmarthen at Amroth, Morfa Bychan and pendine
In reply to Luke01:

Hey Luke
I moved here over the winter and it has been fantastic. There is a small local scene of very keen climbers

The two walls I am aware of have been mentioned.
Lots of bouldering potential, I have only just started exploring and so far it all appears amazing.
Tons of sport climbing is within an hours drive, Surfing, walking oh and the trad isn't bad!

Si
In reply to Luke01:

I'd agree with john's comments.

Having previously lived in the lake district I can confirm the scene (if it even counts as a scene) is a lot smaller than it is in the lakes, peak district or north wales.

It is still a great place to live for climbing, with pretty good weather and quick drying rock. I could be climbing on twice as many days as I would have been in the lakes. You will soon get to meet the smallish group of regular locals if you get out much or go to the Haverfordwest wall in the winter evenings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...