UKC

Kentmere Horseshoe - Campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 29 Jun 2016
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a campsite as close to the Kentmere Horseshoe as possible?

Thanks
 Dark-Cloud 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

How close do you need to be ? There isn't anything that close to be honest to the start of the true horseshoe route
In reply to Alan M:
Many years ago I stayed at a barn in Kentmere and a quick search on Gurgle gave this.
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_location.php?supplier_id=1040
Might be useful.
PS The Kentmere Horseshoe was one of my favourite Lakeland Rounds.
Post edited at 21:07
OP Alan M 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> How close do you need to be ? There isn't anything that close to be honest to the start of the true horseshoe route

In an ideal world walking distance but looking at maps there doesn't seem to be anything. Basically, we won't be arriving in the lakes until around midday (ish) the plan was to shoot up and around the horseshoe and be back down and at the campsite to set tents up and find a pub by the time the football kicks off at 8pm on Saturday evening.

The other option I am looking at is camp near Brothers Water (there used to be a campsite there) or that site Northern end of Ullswater and do a round taking in High Street starting or ending in Hartsop etc.
OP Alan M 29 Jun 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

> Many years ago I stayed at a barn in Kentmere and a quick search on Gurgle gave this.

> Might be useful.

> PS The Kentmere Horseshoe was one of my favourite Lakeland Rounds.

Cheers, will check that out. I agree it is a beautiful walk one of the best in the lakes. My mate is visiting the Lakes for the first time so thought I would take him up there for his Lake District Intro.
 SenzuBean 29 Jun 2016

> Many years ago I stayed at a barn in Kentmere and a quick search on Gurgle gave this.

> Might be useful.

> PS The Kentmere Horseshoe was one of my favourite Lakeland Rounds.

Stayed there earlier in the year - top place for a barn. We did the horseshoe from there quite easily as well.
 Dark-Cloud 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Well Kentmere is your best bet route wise for the horseshoe but not a pub within walking distance, it will be a much longer day but Troutbeck might work for a clockwise, you would then have to come back over Garburn though but not too bad......
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

> The other option I am looking at is camp near Brothers Water (there used to be a campsite there) or that site Northern end of Ullswater and do a round taking in High Street starting or ending in Hartsop etc.

The Brothers Water site is still there - good but expensive.

If by the northern end of Ullswater you mean Park Foot at Pooley Bridge - the Saunders mountain marathon is based there this weekend so might be busy (the competitors will have all gone by the time you arrive, but there's likely to be a general increase in traffic/people). There's another site a little further away from Pooley Bridge which may be quieter (but further to the pub!)
 Simon Caldwell 30 Jun 2016

> The Kentmere Horseshoe was one of my favourite Lakeland Rounds.

Sadly not as good as it used to be, due to over-enthusiastic path repairs
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Oh dear - I first did it in about 1980 and there were sculptures on one of the tops made from the old iron fence posts - I think it was Harter Fell. I loved the rollercoaster along Froswick, Ill Bell & Yoke at the end of the day.
tobias 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Hi Alan, the start of the Kentmere Hshoe is at the end of the valley with no pub or campsite.

If you think you will be pushed for time and want to stay in the area, you can camp at Ashes Campsite and then walk back into Staveley, which will take about 30mins to walk. Doubt they'll be showing the footy though!

Hshoe shouldn't take too long if you are reasonably capable. Get done for 6, drive back into staveley for a quick pint and some crisps at hawkshead brewery, go pitch your tent at ashes farm and walk back into staveley for food and more beer at the eagle and child. Sack off the footy.

crisp 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Check out Longsleddle Outdoor Pursuits Centre (LOPC).
tobias 30 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan M:

Just to clarify, it's called Ashes Lane campsite ...or at least it used to be. Now campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk tents welcome tho.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...