UKC

Watching TdF highlights when out of the country.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
I need the help of some technophiles here, I think. I normally watch on ITV4 when at home. There will be a TV where I'm staying, in Chamonix and probably Wi-Fi. I shall have a tablet with me. But my French is nowhere near good enough to understand a commentary. Bearing in mind that I am at about key stage 1 where digital technology is concerned, can anyone advise me as to what I need to do? Can I get ITV4 over the internet? Would I need to download apps?
Removed User 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

You'll need to sign up to a proxy service.
OP Rog Wilko 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks. That would more helpful, though, if I knew what a proxy service was. I'm a digital moron, remember.
 Brass Nipples 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It'll be on French TV or aeurosport for sure. You won't have a problem watching it.
 Mike-W-99 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I wouldn't worry about the commentary. I've watched it on holiday for years without an issue. In fact its a benefit!
 balmybaldwin 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

But he wants English commentary.

To the OP.

A proxy service is essentially a way of masking your real ID (IP address) & location and appearing to the ITV website that you are located in the UK.

There are plenty of free services out there, but there are questions about their security (i.e. your transactions over the network could be intercepted) you could use carefully, but as you are technophobic:

Alternatively paid for services are generally considered safe. an example (that I don't use) is https://www.privateinternetaccess.com

It's only a couple of quid a month and is recommended by Wired magazine

HTH
 earlsdonwhu 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Download HIDEMAN app. Pay about 3 quid for a month and then sign in so your machine pretends it's in UK. Then just watch through ITV hub as at home.

wilkesley 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Is tablet Android or iPad? Search the app store for proxy server, vpn, unblock. You will need to sign up for a service that offers a proxy or vpn. This makes it appear as if your network traffic is coming from the UK and not France. In any case be prepared for lots of frustration, as ITV Player is a steaming pile of crock.
Phil Payne 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:
If you have an android device, then download mobdro

No vpn needed.

Filmon will also work in France for itv4 without a vpn
Post edited at 14:09
 veteye 02 Jul 2016
In reply to wilkesley:

Someone last year pointed me in the direction of a website that showed most of each stage, but edited so that I did not have to sign up to ITV Player which I do not like. Yet at the moment I cannot remember what the site was, but it was fairly good.
OP Rog Wilko 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for all these suggestions, folks. I'll have to devote some time to this shortly.
 Mark Bull 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Rog Wilko:

steephill.tv has links to Eurosport feeds with English commentary. The quality can be somewhat variable, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...