UKC

Chris Evans quits Top Gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 04 Jul 2016
I thought he did OK, and got into the role by the end.

However Mat got better and better as the show progressed.
 toad 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming: fine. If everyone else is doing it, I'm off. I resign.

Tyler 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
Probably for the best. They should build the program around Matt Le Blanc, Chris Harris and Sabine. Leave Rory to do the extra time program (which is pretty good). Thought last night's was the best of the new series so it ended on a high and miles better than the first whcih was dire. They also need to get rid of star in a rally cross car or at least reduce it to one guest at a time
Post edited at 15:46
 Shani 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> I thought he did OK, and got into the role by the end.

That 'jeans tucked in to boot' look never did him any favours. But his big mistake was trying to be Jeremy Clarkson when he should have just been himself.

In reply to The Lemming:

Not really surprising.

I like Chris but I didnt watch any of the shows and the reviews seemed to back up what I was thinking.

Chris is excellent on the breakfast show considering the boots he had to fill but like it or loath them May, Hammond and Clarkson just worked.
 summo 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

like anything else that worked well or was good... you can't deliberately repeat it, be it a good night in the pub, a party, or day in the mountains. It was pretty foolish to think they could throw a few people together and recreate what took decades to develop.

Would have been better to go back Top Gear's roots, drop the celebs and do a car show which is more about what most people drive, with a small proportion of the show dedicated to antics.
In reply to summo:

> Would have been better to go back Top Gear's roots, drop the celebs and do a car show which is more about what most people drive, with a small proportion of the show dedicated to antics.

+1
 colinakmc 04 Jul 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> +1

And another.... Watched one of the new ones (no idea which one, I'd recorded three at that point) - it felt like it was 3 hours long. Soooo tedious!
Other 2 got deleted unwatched.....
 kevin stephens 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Timely as Nigel Farage is looking for a new job
 Clarence 04 Jul 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

He would be great. If I were the head of BMW I would draw up plans to name the next new model the Merkeljunker, just to make Farage go purple.
Jim C 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:
> However Mat got better and better as the show progressed.

I never wanted Evans , I wanted Ed China, and then we could have a mechanic's view, and a bit more oily stuff
( it is a car show after all- and he is tall and looks silly in sports cars)
Post edited at 19:23
 FactorXXX 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I never wanted Evans , I wanted Ed China, and then we could have a mechanic's view,m and a bit more oily stuff

I wanted the Springwatch presenters to do it.
They're fairly similar to the old ones (Packham/Clarkson, two blokes with unruly hair and Hammond/Strachan).
Jim C 04 Jul 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:
> I never wanted Evans , I wanted Ed China, and then we could have a mechanic's view,and a bit more oily stuff

> I wanted the Springwatch presenters to do it.
> They're fairly similar to the old ones (Packham/Clarkson, two blokes with unruly hair and Hammond/Strachan).

Ed China , is also very tall ( like one of the old ones) AND he has unruly hair
( and knows about the insides of engines )
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/58617232625338797/
Post edited at 19:47
womblingfree 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Guy Martin could work, is obviously a man that loves all things motors, and not overly PC
OP The Lemming 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Everybody on the show brought something interesting. Sadly though Chris was outshone by everybody else.

What I did like about the last show was that the presenting was toned down more to the point that it was not so giddy as the first couple of episodes. Chris tried to be funny but the slap-stick just did not work. I'd go so far as to say that it was Mat's calming influence of not having to try too hard and just presented.

There may be a reason why he's such a natural star in front of a camera.

And in my humble opinion there were only two pieces of deadwood, one of which was Chris.
 FactorXXX 04 Jul 2016
In reply to womblingfree:

Guy Martin could work, is obviously a man that loves all things motors, and not overly PC

Guy Martin has said he doesn't want to do it.
Additionally, they'd have to have sub-titles for when they show it in places like the USA...
 FactorXXX 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Jim C:

I never wanted Evans , I wanted Ed China, and then we could have a mechanic's view, and a bit more oily stuff

If you're going down the engineering road, then Ant Antstead is another option.
Anyway, I reckon they'll stick with what they've got.
 The New NickB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't think Evans needs replacing, Matt LeBlanc has been surprising good and Sabine, Eddie, Chris and Rory have all added something.
 bleddynmawr 05 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Glad it wasn't just me who didn't like the jeans tucked into boots thing.

What about Eddie Izzard, he'd be brilliant - "Tran in a reasonably priced van"
 Route Adjuster 05 Jul 2016
In reply to bleddynmawr:

> Glad it wasn't just me who didn't like the jeans tucked into boots thing.

> What about Eddie Izzard, he'd be brilliant - "Tran in a reasonably priced van"

Tranny in a tranny, has all sorts of conurtations!
 FreshSlate 05 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> And in my humble opinion there were only two pieces of deadwood, one of which was Chris.

And the other was...?
Post edited at 21:56
OP The Lemming 05 Jul 2016
In reply to FreshSlate:

> And the other was...?

In my opinion, as to somebody who did not offer much in the way of presentation during the six episodes of the show was Eddie Jordan. He didn't do very much and did not impress me when he was in front of the camera.
Gone for good 05 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> However Mat got better and better as the show progressed.

The BBC are addicted to Chris Evans in the same way they were addicted to Jonathan Ross and Terry Wogan. At least Wogan could be funny and self effacing.
Personally I can't stand Evans. Self serving greedy arrogant person who shouldn't earn a fraction of the amount he rakes in from the licence fee. The demise of Ginger productions should have been the end of him but the BBC justa couldn't help themselves.
 FactorXXX 05 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

I don't think Evans needs replacing, Matt LeBlanc has been surprising good and Sabine, Eddie, Chris and Rory have all added something.

I thought LeBlanc came across as totally lacking in real passion and it was only his acting background that made it look like he might be at all interested in cars.
As for the rest, didn't really see enough of Schmitz to draw any conclusion. Harris and Read were OK, in that at least they appeared to have written their own segments and therefore were at least believable. Jordan was simply awful.
In essence, the best of the current presenters are those with a motoring journalism background. Sort of reminds me of something...
 cander 06 Jul 2016
In reply to kevin stephens:

You could have star in a reasonably priced car after 8 pints - they stagger out of the pub with traffic waiting down the road and give chase - the leader board would be populated with worthies like Charlie Sheen and Lyndsey Lohan with posthumous mentions for Ollie Reed, Georgie Best and Keith Floyd - there you go just saved top gear for the Beeb, wheres my royalty cheque.
 Timmd 06 Jul 2016
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I don't think Evans needs replacing, Matt LeBlanc has been surprising good and Sabine, Eddie, Chris and Rory have all added something.

> I thought LeBlanc came across as totally lacking in real passion and it was only his acting background that made it look like he might be at all interested in cars.

I caught the last show of the series, or maybe the one before that, and he seemed full of passion about a rear wheel drive stick shifting Porsche, without a turbo and just a powerful engine. He couldn't seem to get enough of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...