UKC

High route Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheffieldchris 05 Jul 2016
HI
anyone done this entire route? I am om my way Friday to start the whole way on Saturday, any top tips be gratefully received
Removed User 05 Jul 2016
In reply to sheffieldchris:

Quietest bit is the first bit in the Basque country.I did this bit to Lescun in a blistering heat until damp mist descended for 4 days (lots of sheep tracks to get lost on).Accomodation a bit limited but plenty of wild camping. First day is a bit of a shock if you go to the top of La Rhune late in the day - I started off at 12 after stocking up at the supermarket in Hendaye and found a Barbeque site to camp at complete with a tap and picnic tables and ascended La Rhune early the following morning. Rolling hills and Beech forest follow -I never saw anybody on some days only in the villages. After Lescun it gets more mountainous - more people and accommodation .I only had to put crampons on to get to the Baysellance and across the glacier snout but that was early July (Katoolahs would be sufficient and I used them around the Pic d'Aneto -again lots of snow for July and I had to back off the Coll de Mulleres as I reckon an ice axe was needed. The GR11 goes around the back of the Pic d'Aneto, an extra day and a few passes to cross. Gavarnie is a tourist spot but the Cirque is not to be missed. Worst day was from Salardu to Alos de Isil -it was raining and couldnt find the path up the Tuc de Marimanya in the mist ,tried to go up the ridge but that ended on a loose knife edge arete - I had to back off and spent 4 hours boulder hopping. I think this stage would be better split particularly if misty. Andorra is a bit of a shock when you reach it but the two refuges are top class and cheaper than the French or Spanish ones. As you get further south there is more forest and it gets wamer and there is a long day to reach the sea.

Eat when you can and a few days when I needed to stock up I hitch hiked to the nearest supermarket - no problem getting lifts. Water - you will need to carry some but a good filtration bottle was a godsend to me. Keep the weight you carry to a minimum - crocs for wading streams(there were a couple of bridges swept away). Remember to have rest days. I hope you enjoy yourself I did it solo over 4 holidays and it certainly made an impression - 52 days altogether.
 LeeWood 06 Jul 2016

I did the HRP in 2002:

http://www.hrp-essential.com

Try to do some of the lesser travelled variants - if they make sense to stay in the mountains. I'd like a report on Cirque de Troumouse !

More likely to need (instep) crampons setting out this early.

Walk early b4 the storms arrive.

We never treated our water - no probs. Heard of others who did but got sick when they came down into Gavarnie.

How much weight are you carrying - w/out food? We sent a good kg of kit home after 1wk - cut your toothbrush handle off to save weight! Heard of someone who did it all in 19 days carrying only 6kg.

You doing it alone? and how much refuge v camping do you plan? Refs will be busy!
 Max factor 06 Jul 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

No experience of the PHR but did the GR 20, and top tip would be to give yourself time to get into it (pack on day 5 will feel so much easier than day 1/2), and don't rush on the stages. A lot of people got sick after about a week and I reckon that was more generally getting run down rather than due to germs.
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

Chees for the help
In reply to LeeWood:

will be doing it alone, have done walks all over the world alone and nearly always end up spending time with other people on the route or at the end of the days. Have lightweight tent and camping gear, but intend to carry more cash than weight so I can use the huts when it suits, as well as eating there. I am a little too long in the tooth to be looking for the cheapest option each time.
Longest walk I have done continually is 30 days but in harder terrain of Nepal while climbing.
Pack has been stripped to the bones and looks like it will be around 12 KG fully loaded with water and food. I had planned on being under 10KG but once you commit to camping that means tent, mat, sleeping bag, stove, pots, food at around 2 to 3KG. I could strip all that out and just rough it on the days when there are no huts but a little past doing that these days.
 LeeWood 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

So the route round the "back' (S ?) of Aneto - was an alternative option ? Did you do any other (notable) alternatives to the standard itinerary ?

We had some interest on a minor shoulder connecting Col de Boucharo & the Cirque-Gavarnie refuge - it got a bit cloudy Otherwise we traversed Mt Carlit summit in fresh snow (Oct) - also quite challenging without crampons.
 LeeWood 06 Jul 2016
R U vegetarian ? Some of the refs are useless - I remember once a large plate of tepid rubbery pasta with a thin slice of processed cheese. Larribet & Maraialles were notably good.

(edit) as were many of the spanish refs which have vehicle access - they can transport in better variety
Post edited at 11:11
 KA 07 Jul 2016

Hi, you will definitely need crampons and an ice axe. There are still large patches of snow up high in The Pyrenees as a result of snow falls well into Spring.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I have been reading through the record of the trip in 2002 looks like you had a great time. Bag packed and kit put together, will take each section at a time. Am a winter ML and alpine climber so no mug on snow.
Removed User 07 Jul 2016
In reply to LeeWood:

> So the route round the "back' (S ?) of Aneto - was an alternative option ? Did you do any other (notable) alternatives to the standard itinerary ?

> We had some interest on a minor shoulder connecting Col de Boucharo & the Cirque-Gavarnie refuge - it got a bit cloudy Otherwise we traversed Mt Carlit summit in fresh snow (Oct) - also quite challenging without crampons.

Yes I did parts of the GR10 on my second fortnight I wanted to see the Chemin de Mature. GR 10 isnt a soft option its up and down like a brides nightie but a lot better waymarked and supplied with refuges. I also got off course at the end due to severe thunderstorms and flooding and ended up on the GR11 and finished in Llanca(October) - it seemed a long way to the sea.Also I cheated by hitching down the final 6 miles of tarmac to Salardu I didnt fancy the road walk in the hot sun. Went astray a few times on the Pic d'Orhy and spent two miserable nights in the Cabane d'Ardanne with a stomach upset but just thick mist and rain outside. Took the wrong col on the way to the Pujol, interesting hour trying to find my way down. I met many people, a mixture of nationalities and the only disappointment was the beer (rip off prices for Kronenberg or Estrella in the refuges),the only artisan beer I found was in the Basque country and the Ariege.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...