UKC

Drink! how do you carry yours?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 05 Jul 2016

For longer rides, road, trail, touring etc I have tried using two large bike bottles which is ok but wont get more than 1.5ltr I know I could stop and buy more water if there was a shop around at the right time, but thats not always an option.
Ive also tried a hydration backpack with 2ltrs plus a bottle, but this makes my back sore and ass hurt on long distances.
Ive seen handlebar and saddle mounts for bottles, (might not use the saddle one for bikepacking as I use a saddle pack), also seen people use a frame bag with a bladder in it.
What are your thoughts / methods?
Post edited at 15:49
 d_b 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Internally. Drink 5l of water before setting out, then just carry an empty cup and recycle as needed.
 thedatastream 05 Jul 2016

Drink smarter not harder? I find that Nuun or High 5 electrolyte tablets in my water mean I don't need to drink as much when out on a hot day and rehydrating afterwards is easier.
 BenedictIEP 05 Jul 2016

1x 850ml Bidon, 1x 550ml Bidon - Some combo of them depending on ride length, height gain and weather, i find height gain seems to be more important than distance when it comes to amount consumed. The key is to be hydrated before you even get on the bike, then sip as needed.

its very rare i'll do something big enough to need bothe bottles.
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Jul 2016

How long is your longer ride?

I used to take loads of liquid but found as i got fitter, and im not saying you aren't, i found i needed less. Prehydration is needed so drink loads day before then smash a pint before you go out. Works for me.

Did 30 miles the other day and used about 300ml of water and about the same of electrolite/water.

If its really hot will take both bottles, 600ml, and a platypus bottle that i drink 1st and then stow when empty.

Half day ride up to 50 miles - 1 x 550 ml bottle of isotonic - unless it's really hot, then 2 bottles.

Full day ride - 2 bottles, plus a cafe stop and a pot of tea -- if it's hot I normally carry SIS hydro tablets so I can make up a bottle of isotonic for the way home.
 EddInaBox 05 Jul 2016

I have a Blackburn bottle cage designed to take a 1.5 litre bottle, it is possible to squeeze a two litre mineral water bottle in.

http://www.wtb.com/blogs/wtb/12046329-throwback-thursdays-1993-wtb-blackbur...
In reply to davidbeynon:

now that's what I call taking the p155
 nufkin 05 Jul 2016

> Ive seen handlebar and saddle mounts for bottles

If you do try a saddle mount, make sure the cages you get can hold bottles at a slight backward-tilting angle - the first ones I tried with mine were flexible 'easy entry' ones that would shed full bottles when things got bumpy
 Dark-Cloud 05 Jul 2016
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

> Half day ride up to 50 miles - 1 x 550 ml bottle of isotonic - unless it's really hot, then 2 bottles.

> Full day ride - 2 bottles, plus a cafe stop and a pot of tea -- if it's hot I normally carry SIS hydro tablets so I can make up a bottle of isotonic for the way home.

This. Except real roadies drink coffee
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> This. Except real roadies drink coffee

Unless they're seriously 'old school'. Back in the 60's old Dorothy Dent who ran the famous cyclists cafe at Elsdon in Northumberland would only ever serve tea - and it was the stuff legends were made of.
OP The Potato 06 Jul 2016

irrespective of what you top up on, the reply falls in to the category of, take one/two bottles and fill up again on the way. Got it, thanks.
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2016

You can get 1l bottles that fit in a conventional cage. I carry 2 when bike touring.
Rigid Raider 06 Jul 2016

It's certainly true that as you get fitter you sweat less but being over-dressed won't help either; you need to start cool because within ten minutes you'll be warmed up. A cycling buddy of mine came out last week over-dressed and suffered terrible cramp on the last climb to home. On last Sunday's ride, 62 miles with only 1700 feet of climb, I used about 500 ml of water but we did stop twice at cafes and we went at a steady pace rather than pushing hard.

As for buying water - that's a disgraceful waste of money! A litre of mineral water costs over £1.00 yet a litre of tap water costs £0.00016 or 16 pence a ton. Just carry a small plastic bag with some maltodextrin powder and an electrolyte tab if the weather is hot and refill your bottle at a cafe or whenever you see somebody out at the front of their house.
 LastBoyScout 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Agreed. I did the London to Cambridge bike ride on Sunday and there were people at the start line wearing softshell jackets and plenty more wearing full tights, long sleeves and so on - they must have been roasting.

Although the girl in the denim cut-off shorts was probably pretty uncomfortable at the finish, too!

I got through 2x 750ml bottles of High 5 electrolyte and was probably slightly dehydrated as didn't need a pee for a couple of hours after finishing. Should have drunk a bit more at breakfast.
cb294 06 Jul 2016

Drinks are of course carried by the servants in the support car, otherwise, how could one ensure that the beer and white wine have the correct temperature?

More seriously, 2 x 750 ml in frame mounted holders is usually plenty for 200 km on the road. No experience with all day mountain biking. I don´t like handlebar mounts as they limit your grip positions, although I found it useful in the only triathlon I ever did, where it allows you to drink while staying on your aero arm rests for the entire 180 km.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Jul 2016

I wring the moisture out of dog shit, Bear Grylls-style.
 RR 06 Jul 2016

http://www.bikefeeling.nl/fietsonderhoud/frame/santos-flessenhouder-xl

This kind of porta-ledge or stretcher for your pet bottle may be?
 Indy 06 Jul 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Do you have a link to the route used?
 LastBoyScout 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

I don't - the organisers never released the GPX file of the route, due to last-minute alterations to avoid roadworks and, on the day, a serious accident near the start required another diversion.

Plenty of options if you google it, though.
 nniff 07 Jul 2016
, In reply to Pesda potato:

Below 20 degrees and 80 miles - one 750 bottle
Above 25 degrees and 35 miles - two bottles.
Anything in between - whatever feels right, given the likely exertion levels and humidity

One hour or less - nothing, unless the tarmac's melting and paving stones cracking in the heatr]
 nufkin 07 Jul 2016
In reply to cb294:

> More seriously, 2 x 750 ml in frame mounted holders is usually plenty for 200 km on the road

I'd reckon on needing twice that for half the distance, at least in summer. Your pee must be like orange sand after a ride like that
 Indy 07 Jul 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yup, found lots on google just wondered if your route was better.
Cheers
 Nevis-the-cat 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

I can carry my drink alright, but I can categorically state Darren Jackson can't carry his.

shandy drinking fop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...