UKC

Quotes and phrases that have changed the way you live

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Baron Weasel 08 Jul 2016
The first page of The Great Gatsby contains a a fantastic quote along the lines of 'Before you criticize others, think of the opportunities you've had that they haven't.'

This idea has definitely made me a more tolerant person as I realise that although I don't come from an especially wealthy family, I was spoilt for opportunities growing up which many have not had. Whilst lack of opportunities does not excuse some of the deplorable behaviour that is going on in the World (i.e. racial hate crime), it might at least explain it and pave the way to reduce it in the future... For example I believe that deprived inner city areas need more youth programmes and less austerity.

So, over to UKC, what quotes, phrases and ideas have shaped your thinking and philosophies on life, in particular ones that can help make the World a better place?
In reply to Baron Weasel:

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs I can do without the rock 'n' roll." Nick Shrimpton - Spinal Tap.
 john arran 08 Jul 2016

"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours." Richard Bach

Seriously this time (and I'm not a christian):

β€œHe that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

Wish I could live up to it more, but I do try.
 gribble 08 Jul 2016

'what is, is.' Trite perhaps, but simple and accurate. Helps to accept things we cannot change.
 Hooo 08 Jul 2016

If not now, when?
The title of a Primo Levi novel, one of my favourite books. It's served me well in reducing my tendency to over analyse and procrastinate.
 RyanOsborne 08 Jul 2016

There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting a living.

- HDT
 cander 08 Jul 2016

Everything before the but is bullshit.
OP Baron Weasel 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Hugh J:

> Seriously this time (and I'm not a christian):

> “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her.”

> Wish I could live up to it more, but I do try.

Ditto, I'm not religious, but doesn't stop me cherry picking the good bits of religious teachings and there's plently to pick.
 Toerag 08 Jul 2016

It didn't change my life, but it certainly formed the way I live in a big way. It's the 'prayer of generosity' by St.Ignatius of Loyola and we'd say it at the end of every scout meeting:-
Teach us, Good Lord to serve thee as thou deservest;
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.
Amen
 pebbles 08 Jul 2016

"nobody ever lay on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office"
 Jon Stewart 08 Jul 2016

β€œIf you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.” - Dorothy Parker

The philosopher Bishop Butler:

'Everything is what it is, and not another thing.'
abseil 08 Jul 2016

"Will it matter 5 years from now?"

Not to belittle problems, but I've found that saying gives me a sense of perspective with problems that appear huge today but are not really huge.
 bouldery bits 08 Jul 2016

"If you really want to hurt them and their children not yet born tell them the truth always".

Henry Rollins, from the book See a Grown Man Cry

Dave Garnett 08 Jul 2016

'Do you know what a palmist once said to me? She said - Will you let go!'
damhan-allaidh 08 Jul 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

I wish Henry Rollins and Dar Williams would get together and form sort of religious movement for the 20th century.
damhan-allaidh 08 Jul 2016

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion."

My dad read started reading Henry David Thoreau to me when I was about 8, I shudder to think what my life would be like if he hadn't.
 Andy Hardy 08 Jul 2016

If you're gonna be bear, be a grizzly.
 Chris Harris 08 Jul 2016

β€œLove endures only when the lovers love many things together and not merely each other.” Walter Lippmann.
 Rob Exile Ward 08 Jul 2016
In reply to abseil:

I'm with that; something that I sometimes have to say to myself is 'All things pass.'
 Chris Harris 08 Jul 2016

"I sentence you to life imprisonment".
 Danm79 08 Jul 2016

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
 Ramblin dave 08 Jul 2016
In reply to damhan-allaidh:

> "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion."

Ha, one of my first thoughts was this bit:

"Rise free from care before the dawn, and seek adventures. Let the noon find thee by other lakes, and the night overtake thee everywhere at home. There are no larger fields than these, no worthier games than may here be played."

Andrew Holden 08 Jul 2016

"success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" Winston churchill. I find it helps with the winter climbing.
 Chris Harris 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew Holden:

> "success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm" Winston churchill. I find it helps with the winter climbing.

I find it helps with my love life.
 Loughan 08 Jul 2016

The fruits of the Spirit are an inspiration and guide for me. They sum up how all humans should behave and interact. When I am falling off the wagon they remind me what I should be doing

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
 Chris H 08 Jul 2016

The strong are sometimes wrong but the weak are never free

Heaven 17
 broken spectre 08 Jul 2016

"Unf*ck Yourself. Be who you were before all that sh*t happened that dimmed your f*cking shine."
 Bootrock 08 Jul 2016

"People see what they want to see"
 trouserburp 08 Jul 2016

If you're feeling helpless, help someone

Aung San Suu Kyi
 IM 08 Jul 2016

de omnibus dubitandum - doubt everything
 Flinticus 08 Jul 2016

Never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.

The dying replicant monologue. 'I have seen things you people wouldn't believe...'
 Ramblin dave 08 Jul 2016

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."

Great discussion topic. I have got so many that have helped me through life and shaped the way I see the world. Unfortunately I no longer know who these quotes originally came from, I picked them up mostly from television and books. Here are some that have always stuck with me:

β€œA man’s most valuable possession is his self respect.”

β€œThe people who make money in a goldrush are not the ones digging for gold, they’re the ones who sell picks and shovels.”

β€œAlbert Einstein never hit another human being and he was quite a man.”

β€œWhen you renounce violence all you have left is reason.”

β€œA guy who sees a woman only for her breasts is really the biggest boob of all.”

β€œPrisons are full of people who were just doing somebody a favour.”

β€œYou know where you are with animals, animals won’t let you down, not like people.”

β€œA clear conscience lifts the lowest spirits.”

β€œNever give up, tough times don’t last, tough people do.”

β€œWhen you want to buy something you have to pay top whack for it, when you’re trying to sell it people want it for free.”

the sheep 08 Jul 2016

"though she be but little she is fierce"

Sums up my unexpected third daughter who has certainly changed our lives for the better
 DerwentDiluted 08 Jul 2016

Another from Henry Rollins,

'No such thing as downtime, no such thing as free time, no such thing as spare time, all you have is lifetime, time to Shine, hero time starts right now'
 Brass Nipples 08 Jul 2016

Life is balanced precariously above the vast eternity of nothingness
 spartacus 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Another vote as above for 'set your limitations and they shall be yours'

I see this lots as people of all ages first see a climbing wall and say "I can't get up that" usually they are absolutely right.
Others come in and try and delighted when they can.
Post edited at 16:31
 gribble 08 Jul 2016

And another one. Years ago I had a very trying evening with a youth group. I got back from work with my eyes spinning, and my friend said "Did anyone die? Did anyone get hurt? No? Well, no problem then." I've used that ever since as a way of getting a perspective.
 full stottie 08 Jul 2016

Another by Thoreau: (Approximately)

"If a man seems out of step with his companions, maybe he marches to the step of a different drum. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away."

Hard to live up to, especially given some of the drums that have been beaten lately.

Dave
cb294 08 Jul 2016

Smile, tomorrow will be worse.

If you donΒ΄t succeed at first, losing may just be your style!

CB

hokkyokusei 08 Jul 2016

"Life passes most people by while they’re making grand plans for it." - George Jung.

That, and reading The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, propelled me into working for myself.

These days, it makes me look at things I've always wanted to do and think "why not now?"
 Brass Nipples 08 Jul 2016

You're fired

My father's mother favorite saying was: "If you've got your health you've got nothing to complain about"
 Andy Clarke 08 Jul 2016

"Broken bones mend, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever" - anonymous US skier before disappearing over edge of precipitous drop.

You can argue all you want about technique and friction and the subtleties of climbing on grit or sandstone or whatever; but personally, for me to do the next hard problem, it really comes down to strength and, you know, how hard I can pull, I'm afraid."

Ben Moon, can't remember which vid. Totally changed my relationship with climbing, much for the better.
OP Baron Weasel 08 Jul 2016
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Think it's Hard Grit
 OwenM 08 Jul 2016

To rest is to rust.
 Indy 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> β€œIf you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.” - Dorothy Parker

Some friends were charged 18 quid each to see St. Paul's cathedral but they did have the decency to accept Amex, Visa, MasterCard etc. :|
 Tall Clare 08 Jul 2016

Life's so short, and especially the number of years in which one's strong enough to risk everything - Van Gogh

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Beckett
 deepstar 08 Jul 2016

A favourite quote of mine is from is from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. "Many live that deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I always think of this when I hear discussions about capital punishment.
 rogerwebb 08 Jul 2016

'Relax kid, maybe it will go away.'

Remark remembered by 19 year old Harry Parley from an unknown Sergeant when he was panicking after coming across a tank while armed with only a rifle.
It went away.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do.
 Timmd 08 Jul 2016
From Eleanor Roosevelt, Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.

It made me think of a particular friend at the time I read it, and has ment I've stayed in touch with them, which I'm glad about. I think it's a beautiful sentiment too.

The Bob Marley song 'Small Axe' has some motivating lyrics in for me, too, but mainly the idea of a small axe being used to cut down a big tree. I find it can make most things seem achievable.

'If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two impostors just the same' - has helped me to get over some very big set backs in my life, and to stay philosophical when wondering about what might have been.
Post edited at 21:36
 Kean 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Baron

"Don't let the only world you're ever gonna live in pass you by". (Name that tune!)

Chimes profoundly with my atheist views (among other things)...this is it...THIS...IS...IT!

...and..."If you can fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds' worth of distance run..."

...and...to help me survive the mountains so I have a few more "unforgiving minutes" to look forward to, Edward Whymper's universal prayer "Do nothing in haste look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end".

...and...Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech...which I find utterly profound.

...but... in so many ways...I seem to fail to live up to the mantras I cherish...ho hum
Removed User 08 Jul 2016

From that great philosopher Clint Eastwood " A mans got to know his limitations" - makes me feel happier about being a crap climber.
 lucas95 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

"Just worry about your three foot world" advice from a friend when l was making a meal of a lead.

"No one died, nothing caught fire" my partner the primary school teacher.

"May you live in interesting times" Chinesa insult.
 Caralynh 08 Jul 2016

"If you do not change direction you will end up where you are heading". Nice way of saying that we are the masters of our destiny.
 Pbob 08 Jul 2016

Tread lightly but carry a big stick
 stonemaster 08 Jul 2016

"I am wounded but am not slain
I shall lie me down and bleed a while
and I shall rise to fight again"

probably a misquote

The mind is like a parachute, put to best use open.

The quote I gave earlier was really a kind of philosophical premise for the whole of life, but a more positive dictum I've always had with me is the one Beethoven apparently had on his desk: 'Nulla dies sine linea': no day without a line, i.e. a creative 'line' of some kind. A day to me really does feel quite wretched if I haven't achieved at least that.
 veteye 08 Jul 2016

Not a quote for the whole of life,but useful at various times, especially in work.

"The enemy of good is better"

In other words, when you have done a decent job, if you try to perfect things, you may actually try too hard and make things worse.
 john_mx 08 Jul 2016
you don't regret the things you do, you regret the things don't do.

&

I would sooner have 1% of something then 100% of nothing.
Post edited at 23:02
 Wainers44 08 Jul 2016

To quote a namesake of mine..

"..the people you find huddled around a summit cairn in the rain are all optimists. Pessimists never reach the top of anything.."
 Bootrock 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out.
Jim C 09 Jul 2016
In reply to pebbles:

> "nobody ever lay on their deathbed wishing they'd spent more time at the office"

I don't know about that :-
http://www.asennesurf.com/journal/beach-office-3301
 John_Hat 09 Jul 2016

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.
 aln 09 Jul 2016
There's been few climbers quoted on this thread. Not many musicians either. Hmm..
John Lennon "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans".
Tim Emmett I think in a climbing video, "Life's what happens before you die".
Both very good.
Post edited at 00:19
 Hooo 09 Jul 2016
In reply to aln:

Some musical ones for you:
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - helps to remind me that the reason I can't go climbing every weekend is because I'm committed to something more important.
It's up to you not to heed the call up - When everyone else is doing something wrong, it's not acceptable to go along with it.
Hey ho, let's go - got me over many a scary leap.
OP Baron Weasel 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Hooo:

> Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose

Me and Bobby McGee - Nice!
OP Baron Weasel 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Hooo:

The line I like from the song is 'Nothing ain't worth nothing, but it's for free'
 Flinticus 09 Jul 2016
In reply to veteye:

> Not a quote for the whole of life,but useful at various times, especially in work.

> "The enemy of good is better"

> In other words, when you have done a decent job, if you try to perfect things, you may actually try too hard and make things worse.

Learning to accept that OK is preferable to perfection is a valuable understanding.
 Mike Highbury 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Hooo:

> If not now, when?

> The title of a Primo Levi novel, one of my favourite books. It's served me well in reducing my tendency to over analyse and procrastinate.

From The Ethics of the Fathers, BTW.

As a child I got to sit next to my father and translate the lot.
 Bootrock 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Aztec Bar:

Whether you believe you can, or you believe you can't, either way; you're right.
 ericinbristol 09 Jul 2016

"If it's not 'Hell yes', it's 'No'" (Derek Sivers)
pwhiteside 09 Jul 2016

"Here and now"

Island- Huxley
 wercat 09 Jul 2016

"It is the Friday 24th of June and Britain has voted to leave the European Union"
Grim 09 Jul 2016

The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the crow
Moley 09 Jul 2016

Any fool can make money, show me a man that can make time.
 Bobling 09 Jul 2016

"Carpe diem" - Robin Williams ; )
"Nothing matters very much and few things matter at all" - my dad
 Sealwife 09 Jul 2016

Some inane online meme along the lines of "You become like the people you spend most time with" probably nicked from a biblical quote, caught me at a point where I was spending too much time with negative people. So I took heed and have been a happier person as a result.

And also in the words of my late father, "If at first you don't succeed. Pull yer knickers o'er yer heid," I don't take it literally, but make sure I don't take myself too damn seriously at any time.

Live your own life, for you will die your own death.
Roman proverb.
abseil 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Grim:

> The eagle never lost so much time....

Mentioning eagles reminds me of what Melville wrote about them in 'Moby Dick' [this quotation really touched me]:

"And even if he for ever flies within the gorge, that gorge is in the mountains; so that even in his lowest swoop the mountain eagle is still higher than other birds upon the plain, even though they soar."
abseil 10 Jul 2016

A BBC journalist wrote this in a 2014 article:

"Stop worrying about things that might happen; most of them won't". And then wrote "I tested this one by writing down the events I was worried would happen in the next six months (at work, financially, with family, geo-politically) and then tracked, for several years, how often the feared outcomes actually occurred. It was about 20% of the time. And a number of the worries that did materialise turned out, over time, to not be as bad as I feared."
Another lyric this time from the Eagles Last Resort - "Call something Paradise - kiss it goodbye".
 radddogg 11 Jul 2016

I saw the following quote stencilled onto a wall through someone's window. I immediately thought of my daughters and felt quite emotional. I got a decal of it and put it on our chimney breast as a daily reminder to them.

"Have hope, be strong, laugh loud and play hard, live in the moment, smile often, dream big, remember you are loved and never ever give up"
 Hooo 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Mike Highbury:

That's interesting, thanks. I assumed Levi had got it from somewhere, but I didn't realise it was religious.
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that is why it is called the present.
From Kung Fu Panda
 peppermill 11 Jul 2016

If you can't find time to do things you wants to do, get up earlier.

Guy Martin (I think)
 Shani 11 Jul 2016

A phrase that makes me train hard and rest hard (to keep these points far apart) - "There's the least you can do, and the most you can do. When those two points meet, you're dead."

"There is no failure, only feedback."

krikoman 11 Jul 2016
£Our lives begin to end the day we remain silent about things that matter,£ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

and

It'll be all right, no one died did they?

Oh! and

Don't be afraid to fail.
Post edited at 09:32
 Boogs 11 Jul 2016

" Be like a Turtle , hard on the outside , Soft on the inside and willing to stick your neck out ! "
 Cheese Monkey 11 Jul 2016

F*ck That

youtube.com/watch?v=92i5m3tV5XY&

Genuinely improved my life

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...