UKC

ARTICLE: The One That Got Away - Tom Randall on Failure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 Jul 2016
Tom Randall on his Devon roof crack first ascent: The Kraken V13, 4 kbAs a climbing news website, we report on top-end, groundbreaking ascents of the world's hardest routes and boulder problems, climbed by the best climbers out there. With so many ticks, First Ascents and sponsors to their name, there's little to no mention of bad days, failure and goals unachieved. Behind the veneer of a proud status update or Tweet of success, are moments of frustration, doubt and struggle that rarely surface.

In this new series of interviews and anecdotes, top climbers reveal all about their nemesis climbs and unfinished business. Tom has an outstanding crack project to complete, but first off, he couldn't wait to tell us a story about one of his lesser-known projects...

Read more
 Chris Shepherd 08 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:

Best series on UKC in ages, and a really important one these days. Keep up the good work!
 ebdon 08 Jul 2016

Ha! What a punter
abseil 08 Jul 2016

I never fail on routes. I do sometimes walk away, re-evaluate my options, move on to greater things....
 Shapeshifter 08 Jul 2016

Great article and great idea for a series. Failure is sometimes as inspiring as success.
How long do you reckon until the mags rip off the idea. Anyone fancy a sweep?
 orge 08 Jul 2016
Brilliant!
When are you going for that sit start, Tom?

J
 chris fox 09 Jul 2016
In reply to orge:

Maybe after he does the standing start correctly !
 rurp 15 Jul 2016

Thank you so much Tom. This problem has frustrated the hell out of me, it looks so simple but somehow just doesn't work. I will give up and go and enjoy something else! Given I can't really climb anything more than V4/5 your video has saved me years of pain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...