UKC

Good tapes for the setting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Climbing_Fin 09 Jul 2016
Hi,

In our small club gym we tested a cheapo electrictape set, which was peeling off very very fast. Sometimes just over the night.

So, what would be a good colourful tape brand for the problem setting?

Thanks!
 JIMBO 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Climbing_Fin:

Duct tape... many colours and patterns available.
 Kevster 09 Jul 2016

Coloured chalk?
memory?
number system?

Non permanent is, well, non permanent. Never seen a 100% fool proof removable system.

It's a small wall. Friends share.
 Greasy Prusiks 09 Jul 2016

Yeah I'll second duct tape.

Good tip is to put the end of the tape under the hold then tighten it up. Pins the tape in place even if it unsticks slightly.

Another way to do it is laminate some coloured paper and trap one end under the hold. Could put a bolt hole through it if you're feeling posh.
 douwe 09 Jul 2016

Walls I've been to which used tape to set the problems were always uncoated, or at least not with any textured coating, on the wood. Makes a big difference for how well tape sticks.
Some walls also use a printed photo of the wall with the problems marked on it with coloured pen. Works really well once you get the hang of it and enabels you to keep huge back catalogue of boulders if you don't change the setting of the wall too often. You could also use an i-pad if you like.
 duchessofmalfi 09 Jul 2016
The problem with electrical tape is that it stretches when you pull it off the roll and then gradually unstretetches over the next few minutes / hours.

If you are careful about peeling electrical tape off the roll and give it a moment to relax before you use it it works a lot better. I usually cut off a 1/2 dozen strips and hang them from a handy hold to relax before sticking them on and also rub them into the wall. De-dusting the wall first helps. Duct tape is better and tightening a hold on top of a corner of the tape better still. Chalk works but can be surprisingly difficult to remove from textured walls so is semi permanent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...