UKC

Temperature at night in Dolomites

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie Low 10 Jul 2016
Me and a few friends are going to the Dolomites in a week. I was wondering what kind of temp it will be on the wall, particularly at night. If we're bivying on the top of something, what kind of sleeping bag am I going to need? My options are a Rab Summit 600 (down, would prefer not to wreck!) or an old 2/3 season Eurohike one.
 Toerag 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Charlie Low:

You can work it out from Valley temperatures- you lose a degree of temperature every 150m or so. Aside from that, this might be useful? http://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Bergwetter/Suedtirol/
 nutme 11 Jul 2016
You can switch between altitude on Mountain Forecast: http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Marmolada/forecasts/3342
 beardy mike 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Charlie Low:

It could be balmy or it could be snowing - look at the mountain forecast page below and you'll see that heavy snow if forecast for thursday! Either:

take warm cloths and suffer
go moderately fast and light and spend a night in a hut
go light and fast without the warm cloths and don't stop till you're back down again.

Unless of course you really really want to bivi.
In reply to beardy mike:

When Calum and I did The Fish we took silver foil bivi bags and had the worst nights sleep of our lives. That said, we didn't die, so I guess they (just about) did the job.

In retrospect I would have taken a super-light sleeping bag and am sure it would have been 1000x better (and not much heavier either).

All of that aside, Mike's point is an accurate one - it could be roasting, it could be freezing. Plan accordingly.
 beardy mike 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Yeah - that is true - if you're doing something really big you may well have to stop and then I'd go for the lightest most compact option you've got to at least take the edge off it. But that said, most things there will be a smaller deal than the Fish! Depends on what you're doing totally. I'm guessing if you're going for the first time you'll not be doing anything mega massive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...