UKC

Insurance - multi-trip annual or several single trips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 daviemj 11 Jul 2016
I get insurance whenever I go abroad to do Via Ferrata, sport climbing or alpine climbing, but it dawned on me that I'm carrying similar or more risk by trad climbing in the UK, I just don't have to get a plane to get back to my house if I have an accident.

Do any of you guys get year long insurance with your home country climbing in mind? Or do you do what I've done previously and get it when you go mountaineering internationally?

I ask as I'm spending about ~£200 on insurance for individal trips and year long insurance costs ~£450 (I'd probably need year long alpine, though some trips would only need rock). I'm seeing if I can justify the difference by considering the insurance for my cragging days in the UK.
 Jenny C 11 Jul 2016
In reply to daviemj:

Personally I never bother taking out holiday insurance in the UK - most policies will only cover if you are doing 2 nights pre-booked accommodation, so useless for impulsive weekends or day trips.
 TomGB 11 Jul 2016
In reply to daviemj:

I get an annual policy every year just for trips abroad without counting UK trips. I found it saved me loads of money, rather than paying £40ish a go. I paid £143 with snowcard for an annual policy including alpinism, skiing, sailing etc where are you looking that they want £450?!
OP daviemj 11 Jul 2016
In reply to TomGB and JennyC:

JennyC: I hadn't realised that. Thanks for the heads up!

TomGB: okay, thanks. I'll investigate snowcard. I am looking at BMC insurance, worldwide and alpine as I do about 2 weeks a year hunting down +4000m alpine summits. The insurance drops down to £190 if it's just Europe, I guess if I go outside of Europe, I can get another policy.
 nutme 11 Jul 2016
In reply to daviemj:

If you are playing in Alps why not to stick with much cheaper The Austrian Alpine Club (UK)? And it gives a discount in all huts owned by clubs or federation.
 Jenny C 11 Jul 2016
In reply to TomGB:
Yes I've done annual cover before too, well worth looking at if you do several trips
- Fell really lucky one year when I had to cancel a booked UK trip due to illness and was able to claim for cancellation. That said generally I just accept that I would loose my money if I wasn't able to go.

TBH don't even bother with cancellation for Europe road trips (we only pre-book the channel crossing). For travel insurance I am an Austrian Alpine Club member (no medical questions and covers a wide range of activities, plus search and rescue) and use a bog standard insurance travel insurance policy (usually Post Office) for general medical cover.
Post edited at 17:02
OP daviemj 24 Jul 2016
In reply to Jenny C and nutme:

Thanks a bunch for this advice. I wasn't aware that I could be part of the Austrian Alpine Club, though I'm aware of how well regulted the Austrian alpine huts are (in practise: I've never been to one).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...