UKC

Walking near Fort William

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew W 11 Jul 2016
I'm planning on heading up for Fort William at the end of the month for 10 days walking, I've not be up there before and was looking for suggestions on where to go or routes that are worth doing either one day or multi day walks. I'm not going to have a car but was planning on getting busses around if needed or hitch hiking where possible.

Thanks for any suggestions

Andy
 Dauphin 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

Into Ardnamurchan on the Coran ferry and through Knoydart via Glenfinnan is boss. Get the boat out to Mallaig. Camping, bothies, night or two in posh hotel if you fancy.

D
 Welsh Kate 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

Ben Nevis via the CMD arete. A classic day walk!
 BelleVedere 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

ring of steall (from glen nevis)
OP Andrew W 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:
Thanks for the suggestions, I was planning on going up Ben Nevis as I've done it before and the CMD arete looks like a nice route.

I was also thinking of trying to link the ring of steall and the grey corries into a 2 or 3 day walk, has anyone done this and if it's best to do it either clockwise or anticlockwise.

If anyone has any more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited at 19:59
 petestack 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

> I was also thinking of trying to link the ring of steall and the grey corries into a 2 or 3 day walk, has anyone done this and if it's best to do it either clockwise or anticlockwise.

You could look at doing Tranter's Round as a backpacking trip. Whole Mamore Ridge, Grey Corries, Aonachs, CMD and the Ben... originally a 24-hour walking (not running) challenge, but still a great natural circuit on any timescale (three days would still test you carrying gear). The classic (original and best) way is anticlockwise, culminating on the Ben.

fred99 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

You could take the early morning train from Fort William to Corrour, then walk back along the route between the Ben and the Mamores to Glen Nevis. You would then finish by walking into the Fort. If camped in Glen Nevis you'd not have quite so far to travel at the end. A good long day. Need to check water levels for crossing the nevis though.

It's worth looking at the train schedules for other such routes.
In reply to Andrew W:

Camp high as you can and with a breeze........Glen Nevis is really really bad for the "wee Midge" this time of year.....
 Kaya 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:
Get the train from fort William to corrour station, the one used in the film Train Spotting. Then you have a simple valley wall back to glen Nevis or the mamores on one side and Ben on the other . Also half way (approximately) along the valley is corrour bothy. If my memory serves me well you can also head out towards Kinlochleven.
 Lankyman 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Andrew W:

We once parked at Mamore Lodge - not sure if this is still an option? From there we walked to the eastern end of the Mamores then traversed the ridge heading west to Sgurr an Iubhair in a 2-night trip. It was midgey at times even camping so high.
 petestack 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Kaya:

> Also half way (approximately) along the valley is corrour bothy.

Corrour Bothy's in the Lairig Ghru. You're probably thinking of Meanach, although Staoineag or the Lairig Leacach Bothy might also be options depending on plan.

> If my memory serves me well you can also head out towards Kinlochleven.

You can.

In reply to fred99:

> Need to check water levels for crossing the nevis though.

The Nevis or the Abhainn Rath? (Shouldn't really need to ford either.)

In reply to Lankyman:

> We once parked at Mamore Lodge - not sure if this is still an option?

You're quite likely to get locked in if you do these days!
 Kaya 19 Jul 2016
In reply to petestack: I am indeed. Thanks for the reminder, it was a few years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...