UKC

Virgin Atlantic and climbing gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 11 Jul 2016

I'm off for 3 weeks in California later this year and will be taking a fair bit of kit with me. I'm flying from Heathrow to San Francisco with Virgin and wondered if climbing gear was covered by their free sports kit policy. Their website and the rest of the internet seems unsure and their call centre staff don't have a great reputation.

Has anyone successfully got a rack and ropes in as a free sports bag?

Thanks

Mike
Post edited at 21:41
 Simonj 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Hi Mike,

Yes, Ive done this twice with Virgin Atlantic in 2010 and 2013 (Manchester to Vegas), I think it was 20ish Kg normal baggage and 20Kg of climbing kit (pack all your climbing stuff in one bag).

Si
 Brown 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Simonj:

They were happy that bouldering mats counted as sports gear in 2010

JJL 12 Jul 2016

Yes
 Mark Collins 12 Jul 2016

Yes, me too (a couple of years ago). I usually travel budget, so it was a pleasant surprise to get a courtesy call from them a few days before the flight asking if I had any questions. Once at the airport, things also proceeded with a fluidity that I'm unaccustomed to.
 Offwidth 12 Jul 2016

Not only is it covered they also reimbursed us for a mix up on a code share (where it was implied the service on another airline was covered by their policy). Really excellent customer service, comfortable flights, a bit more expensive on base cost but very competitive if taking extra bags ( camping stuff or aid gear alonside a trad climbing rack)
 duchessofmalfi 12 Jul 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Yep, like the others I've not had a problem with Virgin at all.
OP Reach>Talent 12 Jul 2016
In reply to all:

Good to know, several comments I had seen suggested they were awkward and their website has list of activities that it recognises as sports but first hand experience is always handy.

Thanks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...