UKC

NEWS: Tom Randall Climbs Franco Cookson's Roof Project: Infusoria E7 6b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 Jul 2016
Infusoria breaches the biggest roof on sandstone in the UK, 3 kbTom Randall has made the first ascent of what is thought to be the largest roof on grit or sandstone. At Cringle Crag on the North York Moors, it is one of many unclimbed projects in the area. The route goes through an area where a large section of a huge roof fell down, leaving a giant, unclimbed, overhanging prow.

Read more
 Michael Gordon 13 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, though I would maybe say 'possibly the biggest CLIMBABLE roof on Sandstone in the UK'. I'm sure a good explore around the NW/Orkney (for example) would reveal some absolute whoppers, particularly when you consider sea caves.
 Anti-faff 13 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Get in! Nice one Tom.
 Andy Moles 13 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

> what is thought to be the largest roof on grit or sandstone

It's definitely not. Maybe in Englandshire.
 SteveSBlake 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Hmm, On the basis of the photos I can think of a couple of unclimbed roofs in Northumberland that are possibly a shade bigger....... And they aren't hidden away.

Steve
 Offwidth 13 Jul 2016
In reply to SteveSBlake:

Also Great Gate Buttress in the Churnett with all those Nadin routes no-one seemingly climbs looks bigger....whats the vital statistics?
 Simon Caldwell 14 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

How does it compare in size to The Boss at Beacon Scar? (the roof on the left here - there's an old A2 across the middle)
http://www.climbonline.co.uk/photogallery/NYM/Beacon%20Scar/Res-Publica--Fr...
 JDal 14 Jul 2016
In reply to SteveSBlake:

> Hmm, On the basis of the photos I can think of a couple of unclimbed roofs in Northumberland that are possibly a shade bigger....... And they aren't hidden away.

Well since, according to the articles author, Sandy Crag seems to have been acquired by N Yorks, maybe all those Northumbrian roofs are actually on the NY Moors.

Hat Dude 14 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

What a mercurial ascent; just how does he manage these big roofs? Maybe it's a kind of magic
 Toerag 14 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Tom needs to ask Adam Hocking if his 'Guernsey project' is open now.
 CurlyStevo 14 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:
Congrats on a good first ascent etc.

But am I the only person reading that report which cringes slightly when you read of holds being pulled off wet sandstone? Sure this might have happened anyway given the rockfall etc But sandstone is generally much weaker when wet.
Post edited at 11:29
 Dave Warburton 14 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Hello. I've been on the line and I wouldn't worry too much about Tom's ethics on damp sandstone. The hold that came off will have been from the back of the roof near an area heavily affected by the major rockfall of the old Wedge Route.

I'm also not sure an XS grade would be appropriate, Tom. It's an absolute classic anywhere in the country!

bouldery bits 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> What a mercurial ascent; just how does he manage these big roofs? Maybe it's a kind of magic

I heard he's planning an attempt on (Bohemian) rhapsody next!
 Hat Dude 14 Jul 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I heard he's planning an attempt on (Bohemian) rhapsody next!

I don't think he is, but Brian may
 Sl@te Head 14 Jul 2016
 Pete Dangerous 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> I don't think he is, but Brian may

He's gonnna Flash it!
 Hat Dude 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

> He's gonnna Flash it!

He's under pressure
MattDTC 14 Jul 2016
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> But am I the only person reading that report which cringes slightly when you read of holds being pulled off wet sandstone?

Maybe the hold just... wanted to break free.

Wft 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Most crags look crap in the wet and bad light...
 Dave Warburton 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Sl@te Head:
I dunno. Forget the difficulty, or the crag. It's a great line which is in a brilliant position. The moves and the nature of the moves are sustained from the first to the last, there's not a wasted move on it. It's not a chop route and there's no stopper moves.

Not much more to it for me.
Post edited at 22:25
 jezb1 14 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Were any trees harmed in this ascent?
 SteveSBlake 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Well, I've now seen some better images of an ascent, and am compelled to change my view, (I know, I know this is UKC, what am I thinking!) but, it is mahoosive.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...