UKC

motivation to start climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pizza 13 Jul 2016
how does one get motivated to get back into climbing when age and work have started to get the better of you.too fed up with work but need the money and not quite old enough to retire feels as though im stuck in my mid life crises
 spartacus 13 Jul 2016
In reply to pizza:

I'm now mid 50's, I had a flat spot in my climbing for a year or two when I got to the point of almost giving up.

Had a bit of a new lease of life by doing stuff I really want to as opposed to routes your ego says you should be doing. I now concentrate on stuff which is fun like long low grade mountain routes around V Diff grade and had some great fun days out.
I think as you get older you care less about what you think you should be doing (i.e pushing grades) and doing stuff because you enjoy it without the need to scare yourself silly. I also stop and look at the view a bit more.

Re retiring, I did and felt really guilty going to the hills (which is expensive) and leaving my wife to go to work. All my climbing /walking mates where still working so it was a bit pointless unless you enjoy your own company. I decided to have a five year plan and retire at 60 when I still have time to enjoy myself. Only you will know when that time is right.
 spartacus 13 Jul 2016
In reply to pizza:

Also I think Getting older is a state of mind, if you tell yourself you are old and can't do stuff it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
 Rog Wilko 13 Jul 2016
In reply to pizza:

I'd suggest you spend some time with something like Classic Rock and pick out some routes you really fancy. Personally I'd pick some mountain routes in Lakes or Wales to begin with. If you've got no-one to do them with, try a thread on here. Plenty of folk in the same boat as you, I fancy. Good luck
 spotter1 14 Jul 2016
In reply to pizza:

> how does one get motivated to get back into climbing when age and work have started to get the better of you.too fed up with work but need the money and not quite old enough to retire feels as though im stuck in my mid life crises

dont you miss the sandbagging, the over psyched up partners, the 'what the f*ck am i doing on this route?' , like the smell of nepalm in the morning..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...