UKC

Completely new to climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tom1991 13 Jul 2016
Hi I am looking to start climbing indoors at awesome walls Liverpool for the first time but after speaking to them on the phone was kind of put off.. Just looking for a little bit of advice?

Can you climb at these places without going with a friend or do you always need to go with someone?

I can understand if this seems like a stupid question but any help would be great thanks Tom!
 WildCamper 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom1991:

They have a few autobelays and multiple bouldering walls so no need for a partner
 jezb1 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom1991:

Don't be put off, sign up to an intro course there.

You can boulder or auto belay, but it'll be more fun with a mate in the long run.
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom1991:

Hi Tom

Yep that's a stupid question but don't worry we all asked it once

Most walls offer 4 types of climbing, lead climbing, top roping, auto belays and bouldering. Lead and top roping both require some training and a friend to belay you. Auto belays can be used on your own but often require a 20 minute induction course, just ask about this at the desk. Bouldering is climbing not very high without ropes above mats, it can (and frequently is) done by any old plonker.

Hope that helps, just ask if you're stuck.
 kipper12 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Tom, you have mail
 kipper12 14 Jul 2016
In reply to kipper12:

Thursday night is Merseyside Mountaineering Club night at Awesome walls, come along around 7.30 and ask wall member of staff to point one of us out. All are welcome, from complete beginners to heroic alpinists.
 Street 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom1991:

You could always go over the road to the Climbing Hanger, it's a bit easier to just rock up and get on the wall there! Get to know some people there and go to Awesome Walls with them as I mostly the same people in both places.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...