UKC

Best tick prevention medicine for dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Jul 2016
What should I use on my seven month old border collie?

Just found her first tick!
 Dandan 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

We use a Seresto Collar on our Border, every tick we find on her is either dead or on it's way.
The good thing is it lasts 6 months or more, so a whole tick season, saving the need to remember to administer medicine.
The Marmot 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

Wife is a vet, swears by Bravecto. Works well on our dog.

M
 Dave the Rave 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
We were given bravecto for our 16 wk border and there's an offer for a free second tablet. I'm sure they only last 12 weeks and they're quite expensive, £25 I think? She has no fleas or ticks but didn't before so I can't vouch for them. We used to use Frontline on the RIP dog from March till Sept when we were up the hills more. She never had a tick or flea in that time nor when not treated. Frontline is Nasty stuff though and you have to keep kids away from the dog for 24 hrs.
Post edited at 19:57
 StuDoig 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

We use scaribor collars on both of our dogs (border collie and German SH Pointer). Work well - they spend a lot of time on the hill, snuffling about in woods etc and can count the number of ticks they've had between them in the past couple of years on 1 hand.

Easier than monthly treatments as you don't forget, and we find a single collar will last from Spring to start of winter.

They cost about £13-£15 I think.

Cheers!

Stu
womblingfree 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:

This is probably a very stupid question, but why cant something like this be developed for humans? Anybody?
 Baron Weasel 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus and Dave the Rave:

Photos please gentlemen!

OP Flinticus 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Baron Weasel:

You want a pic of the tick?? Sorry you'll have to settle on a google image search for a generic tick. My one was flushed down the toilet.
 Baron Weasel 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Flinticus:
I hope you killed it first, I read that they can survive flushing!

And no, it was not the tick I wanted to see.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...