UKC

Approach to Napes Needle from Wasdale Head

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 galpinos 14 Jul 2016

Any ideas on the best way up to Napes Needle/Tophet wall areas from Wasdale head? This seems to easiest/shortest walk in (compared to from Seathwaite or especially Langdale) but all the descriptions describe walking up to Styhead and then taking the climbers traverse across but looking at the map the simplest way is to go Gavel Neese and then traverse across.

Have I missed something?
Post edited at 12:53
 Tyler 14 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:
I don't know about the alternatives but we went to Tophet wall from Wasdale via Styhead recently and it was a pretty easy walk, I wasn't left wishing I'd come more direct (except for the very last bit but that'd be true from any approach)
Post edited at 13:17
 Simon Pelly 14 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Yep. Wasdale, Styhead and then back across the climbers traverse. Quickest and easiest when carting gear and sandwiches.

Simon....
OP galpinos 14 Jul 2016
In reply to Tyler & Simon:

Cheers gents. Who'd have thought it, the guidebook approach description is the best one to follow.....
 Dell 15 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

There's a good article about it in this months Trek & Mountain magazine.
 Rog Wilko 15 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Gavel Neese is worth avoiding either going up or down IMO. Very steep.
 Baron Weasel 15 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

Many years ago I tried the direct approach from Wasdale head and I wouldn't recommend it. Styhead then climbers traverse is much nicer!
 Michael Hood 15 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

It's called the climber's traverse because climbers use it rather than flogging up the screes or any more direct route. There must be a good reason for that over the last 100+ years. I wonder what it is
OP galpinos 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:
Ok ok, you've all made your point......

(Thanks)
Post edited at 19:08
 Mark Eddy 15 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

It's pretty straightforward from Seathwaite too and unless already over in the West Lakes it's overall far quicker to go from Borrowdale and walking time is similar. Here's a link to fairly recent trips we've had there, might be useful: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/category/napes-needle

On our first visit to the Napes area about 10 years ago we headed up Gavel Neese, memorable but not repeated!!
In reply to Mark Eddy:
In my crazy enthusiasm (when younger) I've been up and down Gavel Neese several times, but never as an approach to the Napes (Climbers' Traverse from Sty Head being just fine). In descent, Gavel Neese should perhaps be called Gammy Knees
Post edited at 19:26
In reply to Mark Eddy:
PS. Going up and down the screes directly below the Napes ('cutting off a corner', as it were) is just about OK in descent but hell in ascent. Great Hell Gate - I think it's called, IIRC, next to Tophet Wall, is bad enough and well named. But it's really the only way down. A kind of moving conveyor belt of very large stones. Maybe it's got better ?? Mind you, Tophet Wall must be one of the best climbs of its length and standard in the world. The massively exposed and technically good Demon Wall is very good too, and deserves more than one star.
Post edited at 19:34
 Mark Eddy 15 Jul 2016
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Not tried Demon Wall yet.
Finishing up Pinnacle Ridge on Westmorland crag makes for a nice continuation and cuts out the Great Hell Gate descent
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Yes, but then you end up on the summit of Great Gable. What if you want to do another route on the Napes or Tophet Wall?
 Michael Hood 16 Jul 2016
In reply to galpinos:

The walk along the river/valley from Wasdale Head to Styhead is much more pleasant than the tourist path below the Napes. Doesn't take significantly longer.
 Chris Harris 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael Hood:

> The walk along the river/valley from Wasdale Head to Styhead is much more pleasant than the tourist path below the Napes. Doesn't take significantly longer.

Seconded. In infinitely more enjoyable way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...