UKC

Farm dogs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 15 Jul 2016
My wife and I recently had an unpleasant close encounter with some farm dogs in The Lakes. Has anyone tried ultrasonic dog repellents? Do they work?

top cat 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

No, but I find a kind word and some dog biscuits always works for me
 Hat Dude 15 Jul 2016
In reply to top cat:

> No, but I find a kind word and some dog biscuits always works for me

I'll remember that next time I have to walk past you
 Andy Johnson 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:
No self respecting Lakes farm dog would be deterred by a wimpy ultrasonic repellent. They're way too hard and mean for that. Either bring ice axes or distract them with a lamb that you captured earlier...

(Seriously you say? Well, in my experience they are usually hungry, bored, and don't get much affection. They're working animals, not pets, so treat them firmly. But be kind: give them a bit of snickers and a scratch behind then ears. Usually works for me.)
Post edited at 14:58
 ThunderCat 15 Jul 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

> (Seriously you say? Well, in my experience they are usually hungry, bored, and don't get much affection. They're working animals, not pets, so treat them firmly. But be kind: give them a bit of snickers and a scratch behind then ears. Usually works for me.)

I don't think dogs and chocolate are a good mix...
 Andy Johnson 15 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I don't think dogs and chocolate are a good mix...

Yes. What was I thinking. Definitely don't do that. Oat cakes or granola bars.

(To be clear, I don't carry chocolate in the hills and have never given any to a dog.)
 beth 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

I've never had problems, so far (touches wood) with other dogs in the Lakes. I usually have my own dog with me and if approaching a farm with loose dogs always call out something like 'hello collie, how yer doin'. Or something. Just to set the tone that I'm the boss, and you don't scare me.

You don't have to have been bitten to report the dogs as being dangerously out of control.
 Wainers44 15 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

> I don't think dogs and chocolate are a good mix...

Generally no. My 16 1/2yr old springer is pretty b*ggered now so it must be the 6 choccy buttons he has per night that did that!
 abr1966 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

That Jack Russell that hangs around near the cafe in Grange is a little bas**rd....comes over being friendly then tries to bite you...it's nearly had me a few times!
womblingfree 15 Jul 2016
In reply to beth:

I did this with a big slobering, possibly rabid beast of a mountain / shepperds dog while staying at a hut in Romania. I woke up the first night to use the loo and it was guarding the front door, again no problems.

The next day the dog susses my bravado was maybe a bit faked and singles me out everytime I walk past it, barking, snarling, teeth shown. I know the drill but was fudging terrified. Took to liberal use of a walking pole everytime I had to pass it.
In reply to gammarus:

Out of curiosity, what happened and where were you (road, public right of way near farm etc)?
OP gammarus 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

Thanks for the replies. These dogs came out of nowhere and had a go at us. It was no fun. The farmer had to call them off.
 zimpara 15 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

We feed ours mars bars. Don't worry about it.
There's so little cocao in chocolate these days.
abseil 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

> My wife and I recently had an unpleasant close encounter with some farm dogs in The Lakes. Has anyone tried ultrasonic dog repellents?...

May I suggest you just keep away from farms.

Good luck.
 oldie 15 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

On a few occasions I've thrown stones towards threatening, unsupervised farm dogs, which seems to work. I emphasize that I make absolutely sure NOT to hit them.
 FactorXXX 16 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

We feed ours mars bars. Don't worry about it.
There's so little cocao in chocolate these days.

You really are a prize tosser aren't you?
 Rick Dunning 16 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

Walking my terriers through a farm (on their leads) when they were young dogs in Devon one wet February, a huge collie attacked one of them. He was never the same again - in that he hates collies so much I have to put him on a lead when we pass one or he just goes for it! He's been looking for revenge the rest of his life!
 Dell 16 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

Are you sure they were dogs and not Pokemon?
Moley 16 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

When approaching any farm I always fill a pocket with small stones, any aggressive behaviour from dogs and I raise my arm to throw, that usually backs them off.
If not, the next throw has some small stones and I let loose in vague direction of dogs, that always works.

If not, run.
 Dave the Rave 16 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:
We found a Jack Russell roaming a country lane a few weeks back. I managed to coax it up this farm track to where I thought it lived. I was met by 3 collies. One was asleep on a quad bike, one asleep in the back of a landrover and the other asleep on the doormat. All wagged their tales and went back to sleep. The Jack Russel didn't even live there.
Maybe it's your perfume?
Post edited at 23:22
 JJL 17 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

No help to you but a long time ago a mate and I were climbing in meteora.
From the campsite the lane wound past a garden with a very snarly large dog; fortunately gated at far end.
My mate took to winding the dog up each morning. On the 4th or 5th day he was growling back at it as usual and had it in a right temper. Halfway along the garden we saw the gate wasn't shut...
 Queenie 17 Jul 2016
In reply to JJL:

I'm guessing the dog became Cerberus - and your mate's bowels turned to liquid - but it stayed within the garden boundary? If not, this story needs finishing...
 Flinticus 20 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

Always worth shouting 'sit!' or 'down!'

Common commands that most dogs know.

However, having a big stick as back up is wise (once had to deploy such when crossing a farm track with my wife and my dog. We went back to back with sticks out stretched and crossed safely!

phizz4 20 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

I was walking north along a farm track, which is also a public footpath, that leads north from between the Roaches and Hen cloud just two weeks ago. A female with two border collies was walking towards me. With no provocation from me one came up to me snarling and growling and the other one bit me deeply enough on the thigh to rip my trousers and leave four puncture wounds. After much shouting at the dogs they did not take a blind bit of notice of her. After much shouting by me and a threat of reporting her she just shrugged and said effectively, that she didn't care. I think that they were from the nearby farm. I reported this to the police and then visited my local A and E for treatment. Ironically, I had debated, at the start of the walk, whether to take my walking poles but didn't in the end as it was going to be a gentle walk. I'm not sure whether her 'couldn't care less attitude' was the worst aspect or the thought that, if I had been with a young child they would probably be scared of dogs for the rest of their life.
 ThunderCat 20 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> We feed ours mars bars. Don't worry about it.

> There's so little cocao in chocolate these days.

Noooooo...it's something else... I forget the name of it but it's bad news for Doggies. Its also poisonous for humans I believe, but we'd have to eat about a hundred kilograms of it to take effect.

This last bit is from QI, so may be bollocks
 ThunderCat 20 Jul 2016
In reply to EddInaBox:

> It doesn't take much:

Yes. Theobromine. That's the stuff.
 Bulls Crack 20 Jul 2016
In reply to abseil:

> May I suggest you just keep away from farms.

> Good luck.

Or report them as an obstruction on a public right of way
 Jenny C 21 Jul 2016
In reply to phizz4:

Trust me, it takes a lot less than that to give a child a lifetime phobia.
(never been bitten or had a close call from a "nasty" dog, my phobia is the result of an over friendly dog jumping up at me when in the park and totally overwhelming me)

After your experience I would probably never dare put on a pair of boots again
 Siward 21 Jul 2016
In reply to ThunderCat:

My auntie's Jack Russell ate 3 chocolate truffles a few Christmases ago, walnut sized perhaps. The sort of 90% chocolate things I can't abide and resemble garden soil more than anything else.
Anyway, she slept for about 3 days after which she recovered. On the basis of that I can't imagine a chunk of Mar Bar would have had much effect.
 ThunderCat 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Siward:

> My auntie's Jack Russell ate 3 chocolate truffles a few Christmases ago, walnut sized perhaps. The sort of 90% chocolate things I can't abide and resemble garden soil more than anything else.

> Anyway, she slept for about 3 days after which she recovered. On the basis of that I can't imagine a chunk of Mar Bar would have had much effect.

See, to me that would reinforce my decision not to give it chocolate....
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Jenny C:

I am not saying you would/could change things for yourself as an adult, (and not criticising in a my way) but in my experience one bad experience with a dog doesn't have to cause a lifetime phobia for a child.

If something like happened to you happens to a child, I would advise their parent to try to avoid it becoming a lifetime thing by letting the child see safe dogs from a safe distance and if the child is happy to then gradually over a few weeks or months let the child decide if they want to approach the dog.

One of my Scouts was petrified of dogs. My dog usually came to Scouts with me, luckily the hall we used had several rooms, so we just kept them apart. I had no intention of anything other than managing the situation by keeping them apart, but over time he saw the dog play with the other children, and he saw his dad stroke the dog at pick up and drop off time. Eventually he decided that he wanted to stroke the dog, so we had the dog sit down and be calm and an adult hold the lead, and he stroked the dog. I would never have believed it, but he was so proud of himself, and his dad was so pleased too.
 wilkesley 21 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:
When I was about 5 one of my Grandfather's King Charles spaniels bit my arm. I think at the time I was just trying to stroke it. It did put me off dogs for several years, but I did get over it. Of course nowadays I would claim that I had suffered from PTSD and it has my life unbearable. Now where is that Compensation cheque?
Post edited at 20:44
 sammy5000 21 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

A dam good punt in the head with size 10s normally works if they come towards me snapping. I walk straight toward and punt! Keeping eye contact at all time. in Cuba we used to just reach to the floor pretend to pick up stones even if there wasn't any and throw those invisible rocks at them!
 Jenny C 22 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> ........... one bad experience with a dog doesn't have to cause a lifetime phobia for a child.

Doesn't have to , but can. Parents did their very best to try and teach me not to be afraid, but when a kid won't even walk past a well trained dog on a short lead it's an uphill struggle

> One of my Scouts was petrified of dogs. ..........................Eventually he decided that he wanted to stroke the dog, so we had the dog sit down and be calm and an adult hold the lead, and he stroked the dog. I would never have believed it, but he was so proud of himself, and his dad was so pleased too.

I remember aged 7 going up to Jungfrau on the train and going on a husky sled ride and parents being amazed when (after much coaxing) I finally managed to stroke the huskeys - probably the scariest thing I had ever done in my life!

As an adult I can cope with some individual dogs, but it comes down to behavior and others totally terrify me. Unfortunately what makes me flip is usually overly enthusiastic rather than aggressive behavior (barking, running towards me, jumping up etc.) - for instance MIL's collie is soft as a brush but I can't walk into the house without someone holding her collar and even then I am agitated and hiding behind BF using him as a human shield.

However BF's springer who was nervous never really bothered me (and this was a dog who was grumpy and not disinclined to snap or snarl if she felt threatened) as we both gave each other a wide berth, so by the time I finally plucked up the courage to interact with her she had already accepted me and we had a great relationship.
 Toby_W 22 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Our collie is a bit nervous, used to bark and pee when anyone came to the house, now he just huffs and puffs and growls a bit. Strangely lots of people who don't like dogs and children who are scared of dogs love him. It may have something to do with him having no interest in coming near them and being stroked and when they realise he has a command set and ball or duck that gives them complete command over him

Been barked at by a few farm dogs, as with all dogs your manner is everything but that's hard to change if you don't know dogs well or have a certainty about you.

Cheers

Toby
 marsbar 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Jenny C:

Sounds like you have made real progress, thanks for that, it's really interesting to hear it from your side. If it's not a silly question did you enjoy stroking the huskies at the same time as being scared?
 toad 22 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus: interesting signs in the Jura, where they use big unaccompanied dogs to guard flocks from predators. Basically instructions on how to pass large, working dogs without antagonising them. I thought at the time that it wouldn't work in the uk.

Jenny C 22 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

> Sounds like you have made real progress, thanks for that, it's really interesting to hear it from your side. If it's not a silly question did you enjoy stroking the huskies at the same time as being scared?

Totally terrified and it took great patience from parents and the dog handler to get me to sit next to them (on Mum's knee and I think she was holding me down so I couldn't run away) whilst Dad took a photo - not sure if I actually enjoyed the experience but was incredibly proud of my bravery afterwards, unfortunately the camera jammed due to the cold so we never got the photo.

As you say I have improved, but even now I skirt round scary looking dogs when out walking (even when on leads) and especially when walking alone avoid farmyards. I also have to get the b/f to hold my hand when walking past scary dogs, or in one memorable (but embarrassing) occasion used a couple of kids as a human shield to get past a couple of very scary (yapping and running up to great us) jack russels on a campsite.

What really annoys me is the people who see me tense with fear and just say "it's OK, don't worry, he's friendly" and make no effort to hold the dog, inevitably resulting in me making a total fool of myself as I try to escape/avoid contact - if I have tensed up it's because the dog is scary.

I said some dog's don't bother me and although collies are probably the top of my list of scary dogs it isn't really breed specific, and I think mostly comes down to the individuals behavior - the thing is that whilst logically I know it's generally over-friendly rather than aggressive behavior which I find most intimidating it's still ******* terrifying.
 doz generale 22 Jul 2016
In reply to gammarus:

My cycle commute goes past a farm house. some mornings there is a horse woman feeding her horses at the fence of the field opposite the farm house (separated by the road). She usually has a dog with her it's a large sandy colored Labrador type beast. Every time i see them, without fail the fecking thing barks and snarls at me while the owner gives it adoring looks and looks at me with that ahh isn't it cute type face. thinking of buying one of those protective bear suits and having a fist fight with the dog one morning
 Jenny C 22 Jul 2016
In reply to doz generale:

You see, I would be looking at an alternative route - even if that meant not cycling or doing a MASSIVE detour.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...