UKC

Ardèche Area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PeterBlackler 15 Jul 2016
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on the Ardeche area for general "outdoor activities" (including suitable for family)

Our plan is to visit at beginning of August with inflatable canoe (one suitable for low-mid white water) whilst en-route to the French Alps

I know this isn't a canoeing forum but any general advice on campsites and locations would be great; or similarly with regards to the 1 or 2 day canoe trip through the gorge...logistics in particular

Many thanks

Peter
 DerwentDiluted 15 Jul 2016
In reply to PeterBlackler:

We stayed at a campsite right next to the river, name from memory was 'Rouveyrolle' or similar as we called it Groovy roll. It's a lovely place, ideal for climbing with kids and generally arseing about getting wet.
 GrahamD 15 Jul 2016

Its a brilliant family spot. As well as canoing and climbing, just swimming / jumping in the river is great and there are some great show caves there.
 JamButty 15 Jul 2016

Not been for a few years so my advice would be limited, but its a fantastic area for caves, crags, water sports etc and lots of kid friendly places.
Lots of places to hire stuff, guided trips etc
Ooh I want to go back now....

JamButty 15 Jul 2016

You can also see snippets of the area on the TdF stage from today as they were around Vallon Pont D'Arc...Lovely!
 Stairclimber 16 Jul 2016

A tributary to the Ardeche, the Chassezac has many camp sites around Chaulet Plage. Lots of accessible climbing, but the more obvious sectors are understandably polished . The river has child friendly sections as well as water deep enough for big jumps. The descent of the river in a canoe here is much easier than the Ardeche both logistically and technically. Fantastic place for families. Camping la Vignasse is recommended after many personal returns. Shady climbing and bouldering exist, but you go there for the whole sunshine and water package rather than top quality cragging. The main Ardeche is 30 mins away so a full 2 day descent of this is also possible while staying away from Pont d'Arc.
OP PeterBlackler 18 Jul 2016
Thanks to all for helpful advice...is really useful (discovering a new area from scratch _can_ be good but inevitably there's limited amount of time to do on a two weeks and a bit trip)

"generally arseing about getting wet" is the high-level expertise of my 12 year old lad so the area sounds ideal

also is interesting to hear about the suggested alternatives to the Ardèche itself

Just thinking specifically about the Ardèche; if anyone's got any tips on how to do the overnight trip in your own canoe and then return to starting point that would be great (there's so much online information about hiring sit-upons and packages that it's hard to find other info). Although perhaps I might even have to ask a "proper" canoe forum

Kind regards,

Peter
 cwarby 18 Jul 2016

We stayed at the Yelloh campsite at Sampzon. Used an inflatable with my (then) 8yr old from the campsite and Pont D'arc. I went bouldering at Casteljau, whilst the others went river swimming etc; Google the topo. I think its a fantastic area, great villages to explore and places to eat. Recommended, enjoy.
Chris
 GrahamD 18 Jul 2016

As far as I remember the easy to get organised canoe trips are just day trips
 cwarby 19 Jul 2016

Update
Was trying to find the topos. Try

http://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2011/04/13/topo-papier/

This is an awkward link, but does have some bouldering info. Taken from castelbloc.blogspot

Or
http://climbingaway.fr/fr/site-escalade/casteljau

This has some piccies to whet your appetite.

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...