UKC

Europaweg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kate Smith 16 Jul 2016
Hi,

I am doing the walker's haute route in about a month's time. I'm a bit confused about the status of the Europaweg section and finding it surprisingly difficult to know what's open and what's not. My German is a bit ropey.

The website (http://www.europaweg.ch/ ) has detail on the variations in the southern section but nothing on the northern section (Gasenried-Europahutte) although it is still shown on the overall plan. Should I take from this that all is well with the northern section, or that it is completely no-go and essentially no longer exists? I had the impression that originally the northern section was the most dicey. We have a reservation at the Europahutte, was that a mistake?

It would also be good to know which are the best bits of the southern section, because the descent and reascent in doing all the variantions is probably excessive.

Thanks very much,
Kate
 jon 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Kate Smith:

I think the local authorities are coming to the conclusion that everyone else came to before the thing was even opened! It's impossible to keep it open in its entirety on a permanent basis. Have a look at the Cicerone site and you should find updates under both the Walkers' Haute Route and also the Tour of Monte Rosa (you might have to search around the site a bit...) Hilary (who wrote the TMR guide) updated that section after doing the TMR last year. Basically (in your direction, N>S) it involves a long descent into the valley to Randa then back up to avoid the closed section (800m vertical). Then reports are that further south it is once again forced down into the valley... I seem to remember the last time Hilary walked the Haute Route she just took the valley path from St Niklaus.

If you have a reservation at the Europahütte you could call them - though I imagine their reply might be a bit biased! Zermatt, Täsch, Randa or Grächen Tourist offices might also help.
 robert-hutton 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Kate Smith:

We finished the walker's haute route yesterday and had to do the valley route which they are spending some funding on it to make a bit better, as you say you could do it but have to make two trips back to the valley floor.
OP Kate Smith 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jon:

The Europahutte has advised the first half should be OK, weather permitting... I guess the dangerous bits would become quite a bit more dangerous if there was any heavy rainfall. I feel a bit like patronising their hut because they must be struggling a bit and looks like a nice spot. The southern half is probably out of the question though.

Fingers crossed for sunshine and settled weather! Can't wait!
In reply to robert-hutton:

Is the walk through the valley enjoyable? I'd be a bit tempted to hop on the train and do a couple of day walks from Zermatt, or some kind of overnight at a hut outside Zermatt if it's just walking by the road...
 jon 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Kate Smith:

> I'd be a bit tempted to hop on the train and do a couple of day walks from Zermatt, or some kind of overnight at a hut outside Zermatt...

Can recommend walking up through Zmutt towards the Schönbiel, then taking the Hohbalm path up and around to Trift. You could descend to Zermatt - or even stay there and do the Mettlehorn, which is the classic walking summit, or if there was too much snow, there are other slightly lower summits around there. Have to book ahead at Trift, though.

In reply to jon:

That sounds fab, damn it, I want to stay another week and do it all... Will consult with my companion and see. Thanks for suggestions!
 robert-hutton 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Kate Smith:

Not over enjoyable in fact it's a real anticlimax after the rest of the route, only did it as starter / finisher but as you say finish in St Nicholas and do something better.
OP Kate Smith 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Kate Smith:

Looking at the map, I wondered whether a walk up to the Domhutte might be nice, assuming we get to the Europahutte? Suitable for walkers (sans crampons etc) but a taste of the really high mountains maybe?

Driving rain and dense fog in Orkney today, good to dream of clear mountain air (it'll probably pour).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...