UKC

Insurance for Peak lenin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesfrome 16 Jul 2016
Any tips for insurance for peak lenin?

Is it worth just getting insurance for off the mountain as I have heard rescue on it is complex.

James.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 16 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:
BMC or Snowcard

BMC will cover you off the mountain too in think if you choose the correct insurance.
Post edited at 23:50
 Adam_Turner 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

+1 for BMC
 Damo 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

I can't speak to the specifics of policies for you in the UK, but from my experience of Peak Lenin? It's certainly not a complex rescue compared to most Himalayan/Karakoram 7000ers, where rescue is usually impossible.

My guess is that if you needed real help, some guides from the agencies on the mountain would help you down, then charge you accordingly. If you had Global Rescue coverage, and rang them on a sat phone in the USA, they would probably authorise one of the agencies on the mountain to send up guides to bring you down, and your policy with GR would pay for that, I presume.

In either case, if you needed a helo evacuation, it's one of the few 7000m+ mountains in the world with a helipad at BC, ready to go, sometimes with an actual helicopter there. It would be expensive, but a policy should cover that. Alternatively, with a road to BC, you could get transported out in a van to Osh then get a regular flight to Bishkek.
OP jamesfrome 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Damo:

I hadn't realised that. Thank you!
 timjones 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

> Any tips for insurance for peak lenin?

I wouldn't bother to insure it....

surely no-one could ever manage to nick something so big

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...