UKC

Dirty goretex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
HGTS 17 Jul 2016
Ok so long story but basically whilst picking up barrels on an island in Sweden during a canoeing expedition my 2 year old goretex jacket got a fair caking of mud on its front. At the time I didn't think twice, wiped off all the excess mud, resolved on putting it in the washing machine with a grangers cleaner when I got home. However now having tried that almost none of the mud came off, leaving me with a jacket that first time round was not particular different to how it looked before I put it in the wash. How clean would you expect a jacket to come out using the correct grangers was? I was amazed that, in my case any change was almost imperceptible. Also does anyone know of a place where potentially I could get my jacket professionally cleaned as I would love to see it restored to its former glory!
 The Lemming 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

Have you though about washing your jacket in detergent, then pure soap flakes, then with a reproof of your choice?

The detergent should clean your jacket. The soap should remove the detergent and the reproof should do as it says on the tin.
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

The issue is probably that washing machines aren't really good for vast amounts of mud. I've not used grangers, but I imagine it's not much different to nikwax products. If you want to clean it yourself, leave it to dry and get off as much of the dried out mud as you can. Use a washing up brush. Then lay it down in the shower and put some of the special washing liquid on it neat and spread it on the affected area. Leave it soak in for a few minutes then give it another go with the brush. Rinse with warm water and give it a really good hosing with the shower. Repeat if necessary. When the mud is out then use the washing machine with the proofing.
HGTS 17 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Can you use detergents with goretex? I always assumed that you couldn't because on some instructions they ask you to wipe out the tray in the washing machine (I presume to get rid of any detergent build up) before you wash your jacket. Same reason why some people rinse their washing machine for an hour empty before washing their jacket. Of course happy to be proven wrong!
HGTS 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Mighty be a plan, hadn't thought of putting on the washing liquid neat. May well see if it works.
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

I think you can use approved detergents rather than persil etc which have other stuff in.
 The Lemming 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

I too felt the same way as yourself, until I was advised of this from fellow UKC members.

The detergent gets rid of everything from body oils to dirt but sadly this includes water repellency.

The pure soap wash is to get rid of all the detergent from your jacket where you can then finally wash your garment in a proofing product of your choice.

Works for me.
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think s/he probably was using grangers detergent.
 The Lemming 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy some new kit then.

gethin_allen 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

The grangers /nickwax techwash stuff I'd essentially just traditional liquid soap, just like lux or basic hand soap but in liquid form.
This stuff isn't really very powerful as a detergent. Modern washing machine detergents are far more powerful.
A rep from rab told me to wash event garments in liquid washing machine detergent then techwash then rejuvenate the dwr with spray on tx-direct.
I've done this with event and it worked fine but I haven't done this with goretex.
 Timmd 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:
It might sound extreme, but have you tried water fresh from a boiling kettle and a bristle brush (combined with marsbar's suggestion of neat washing liquid perhaps)?

I've found that the hotter the water I've used the better it seems to be at dispersing mud from waterproofs, or from bike frames, or whatever it is.
Post edited at 15:10
 marsbar 17 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I personally wouldn't use anything hotter than hand hot on it, but that isn't necessarily fact based.
 Rick Graham 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:

Perhaps do not exceed the max washing instruction temperature.

If you did the manufacturers could blame that for any faults.
 GarethSL 17 Jul 2016
In reply to HGTS:

I actually find that anything other than light dirt is near impossible to get out of technical fabrics even with detergent. Softshells aren't too bad but light coloured hard-shells are horrendous to get clean and end up with 'permadirt' on the cuffs, hems, collars and around the pockets.

The best you could try is stain removal and lots of rinsing.
HGTS 17 Jul 2016
In reply to GarethSL:
That isn't what I wanted to hear oh well.... Have sent an email to mountain equipment to see if they have any advice. In the meantime I will try putting the grangers stuff on neat.....
Post edited at 18:37
Removed User 17 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Have you though about washing your jacket in detergent, then pure soap flakes, then with a reproof of your choice?

> The detergent should clean your jacket. The soap should remove the detergent and the reproof should do as it says on the tin.

I do this once a year on my Paramo gear. Works well and the waterproofs are as good as the day I bought them.
 Timmd 17 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:
> I personally wouldn't use anything hotter than hand hot on it, but that isn't necessarily fact based.

It was lurking in the back of my mind that it could do something to the fabric if it was too hot.

'Chimpanzee hot' might be okay*?

*Where you go 'ooh ooh aah aah ee ee' from the hotness if it's sink or bath water...
Post edited at 20:00

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...