UKC

Prudential RideLondonFreecycle Saturday 30 July 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mnyateley 17 Jul 2016
We are planning to take part in the RideLondon Freecycle event on Saturday 30 July. I'm not that familiar with central London using a car. Can anyone on here with a better knowledge of central London recommend somewhere to park close to the route? I can't find any information on their site about parking without riding into London on a bike.
We will be coming in from the west either M4 or M3 , Hogarth roundabout and then either along Cromwell Road or through Earls Court.
I don't think my wife would want to cycle very far in the traffic to reach the closed roads of the route.
Removed User 18 Jul 2016
In reply to mnyateley:

Without wanting to sound too flippant, it's probably worth strongly considering not driving into London. Have you looked into parking outwith and getting the train? I suppose if you're coming from the west you'd probably end up in Paddington, and can then aim for a nice ride through Hyde Park to the closed roads.
 LastBoyScout 18 Jul 2016
In reply to mnyateley:

I really would try and park on the outskirts and then cycle the last bit. I've been known to get the train to Waterloo with bike and cycle from there. Do check what the current restrictions are on bikes, though.

> I don't think my wife would want to cycle very far in the traffic to reach the closed roads of the route.

It's really not that bad if you use the bus and bike lanes and spend a bit of time route planning.
 phildavies84 18 Jul 2016
In reply to mnyateley:
Perhaps have a look at parking just off the M4 (Free parking at Strand on the Green/Kew Bridge, junction 2) and get the overground from Gunnersbury to Stratford (about an hour).
Post edited at 13:55
 Michael-H 19 Jul 2016
In reply to mnyateley:

If you do decide to drive there and park, it's worth considering looking at the many 'Park on my drive' type websites, you can probably find a parking space for 10 to 15 quid or so on a nice quiet street not too far to cycle from, I did this for the recent Dunwich Dynamo ride, parked a mile or so from the start at Hackney, and cycled to the start. seemed a better option than trying to find a parking spot by just driving around unfamiliar streets.
OP mnyateley 22 Jul 2016
In reply to mnyateley:

Thanks for the replies, all very much worth considering.

Dad's taxi service is being called in for a lift to Gatwick on Saturday for a holiday booked at the last minute, so we may not make it in the end.

Once again though many thanks.
 Indy 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Michael-H:

> I did this for the recent Dunwich Dynamo ride,

Was planning to do this until wife asked me Sunday morning which weekend it was
Have fun?
 Michael-H 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Indy:

It was really great, got a puncture early on, but otherwise trouble free. A bit surreal to be cycling as it goes dark, and still be cycling as the sun comes up, also having a post ride pint of IPA at The Ship Inn at Dunwich at 6 in the morning seemed wrong but well earned
Would definitely do it again next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...