UKC

ARTICLE: Exclusive Exerpt from 'The Bond' by Simon McCartney

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Jul 2016
Excerpt from The Bond, 3 kbSimon McCartney was a cocky young British alpinist climbing many of the hardest routes in the Alps during the late seventies, but it was a chance meeting in Chamonix in 1977 with Californian ‘Stonemaster’ Jack Roberts that would dramatically change both their lives – and almost...

Read more
 Misha 19 Jul 2016
In reply to UKC Articles:
Sounds gnarly...
In reply to Misha:

Misha, it's just got that bit gnarlier.

The copy we were sent over originally said the Cassin Route, but I've since received an email from the author confirming it was actually their attempt on the south-west face of Denali - quite a difference!!!

I'm not sure whether he'd appreciate me saying it, but Jon Barton of Vertebrate Publishing has suggested that this is potentially the best book they have ever published - quite an accolade when you look at the long list of other books they've published over the past few years.

I look forward to reading it.
 Misha 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:
Sounds great. Not an expert on Alaskan climbing but I did wonder why it was so hard if it was the Cassin, which I thought was doable for mere mortals (mind you, these guys weren't mere mortals by the sound of it). Enjoyed Troll Wall, this sounds similar but even more 'exciting'!
 Damo 21 Jul 2016

Excerptional !
 hokkyokusei 21 Jul 2016

That had me gripped so quickly I ordered a copy.
 L.A. 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing: Fantastic piece of writing by Simon McCartney. However Rob that is not how you spell EXCERPT.
Sorry Damo just noticed your comment. Possibly too subtle ?

Mick Ward 21 Jul 2016

> Man, I am scared shitless, I don’t want to die, not here, somewhere else.

Words which will resonate with many of us.

Mick
In reply to Damo:
This is what happens when you leave an Advertising Manager to caretake while the Editorial Team are all off on holiday!

Still, 'excerptional' did cheer up my day, so aside from the blundering gaff there is a positive!

Thanks for spotting it.
Post edited at 23:18
 Damo 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> This is what happens when you leave an Advertising Manager to caretake while the Editorial Team are all off on holiday!

Now now, you can't expect them to be creative and correct all at once. They're artists, man!

> Still, 'excerptional' did cheer up my day, so aside from the blundering gaff there is a positive!

Another positive, ironically, is that I've just written a review of another recent Vertebrate book and it is the only climbing book of the last decade or so I've read that has NO obvious typos in it anywhere. I wasn't specifically proofreading it, but such things stick out a mile into my eye, so I usually notice them anyway. As you know.

Anyway, well done Vertebrate. Saving our story's and spelling proper to.
 Blake 27 Jul 2016

We'll make an exception and accept this extraneous excerption, but you're not exempt in future excerpts.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...