UKC

Sam Allardyce!!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 20 Jul 2016
Not impressed by that appointment!!
 Tony the Blade 20 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

> Not impressed by that appointment!!

Why?

Never relegated, always 'has' the changing room, gets the best out of what he has.
 Graham Booth 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

You won't find a manager more prepared and the team will actually know the formation and tactics like the last moron.
 Dave the Rave 20 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:
Poor Sam. What on earth is he thinking of? I've met him and he seems a top bloke from the old school of footballers. Unfortunately I think his name will be dragged through the mud by the performances of a bunch of spoiled ne'er do wells .
In reply to abr1966:

Could they have possibly appointed anybody worse? A tactical dinosaur, won absolutely nothing in his entire managerial career and sacked by his last three clubs before his current job.
 Skyfall 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

It'll be interesting ....
In reply to abr1966:

We've seen how so called big names have done. It's really too early to make any judgement until England play the next few games. Hopefully he'll do well but let's see.
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

I can understand but disagree

He deserves this chance. He's been the best english manager, apart from Redknapp who is too old, so let himn have this.

His teams are well prepared, good spirit, well organised, he will do OK, he almost always does.

We'd have done better at the euros with him where every goal was a f*ck up.

But with Cattermole in the midfield and Defoe running off Carrols flick ons we will do OK..
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> Could they have possibly appointed anybody worse? A tactical dinosaur, won absolutely nothing in his entire managerial career and sacked by his last three clubs before his current job.

That's just not true. At west ham he played decent football and laid the foundations. He's pragmatic.
 wbo 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966: I think he's a good call. Pragmatic, as said well prepared and has tactically better than people think.

Can see this working. I know his 'experience' at Newcastle wasn't great, but am more minded to blame Newcastle.

BnB 21 Jul 2016
In reply to wbo:

> Can see this working. I know his 'experience' at Newcastle wasn't great, but am more minded to blame Newcastle.

Sam definitely does
In reply to wbo:

> I know his 'experience' at Newcastle wasn't great, but am more minded to blame Newcastle.

Why blame Newcastle? He was a shambles there. He was given money to spend and bought in absolute rubbish like Rozenal, Cacapa, Geremi and Viduka. He was also allowed to bring in a ridiculously large backroom staff of 20 odd people. He introduced dire long ball kick and rush tactics at a club with a long tradition of playing a passing game and his results were abysmal. It's one thing when you "win ugly" but under Allardyce Newcastle only managed to "lose ugly".

So come on tell me why do you blame Newcastle for Allardyce's spectacular failure there?
 The Lemming 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

> Not impressed by that appointment!!

You can't polish a turd, and I'm not talking about the manager. The players who don an England shirt are overpaid donkeys.

England has to get real and accept that their football team has had their day of glory, many many years ago.
 The New NickB 21 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Leicester, Wales and Portugal have all proved recently that with good management you can be greater than the sum of your parts. Greece as well if you look further back. England have been consistently less than the sum of the individual talent available.

Dave the Rave 21 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

> Leicester, Wales and Portugal have all proved recently that with good management you can be greater than the sum of your parts. Greece as well if you look further back. England have been consistently less than the sum of the individual talent available.

Here lies the problem. Leicester and Wales use the underdog card and are aware of their limitations. The England squad are not a 'team' due to the polarity of their egos and go on the pitch thinking they have the right to win due to the heroics of better players in 1966. The commentator after the Iceland match highlighted this problem. ' they will be remembered as the team that lost to Iceland'.
 Babika 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Wait and see.
He may not have a glitterati charisma of others - but many of the Prem managers who do fall after 1 season or so. I remember him saying at West Ham that if he was called Sami Allerdici he would be better thought of.

If he can play English players who want to be there and play with passion and commitment rather than guys looking over at their shoulder for their club all the time then he might achieve a quarter-final team in competitions. That's a realistic English aspiration.
 tony 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I can understand but disagree

> He deserves this chance. He's been the best english manager,

Isn't that a terrible commentary on the state of English football - the best the FA can find is someone who hasn't ever won a trophy and has no experience of high level competition at club level.
 danm 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Much of what's written about Allardyce is based on superficial observations. He gets called a dinosaur and yet was one of the first managers to use Pro-zone and adopt a statistical and scientific approach. He's pragmatic and will stick to his guns - he's been used to people having it in for him for his whole career. He practices TM which should help him keep it together when the pressure is on at least!
 Babika 21 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

Well that could be said of Chris Coleman.

I don't think high level / trophy winning is necessarily a prerequisite. Especially if only a handful of English managers have ever been in that position,
In reply to abr1966:

Me neither, but probably for some more reasons than most!
Lusk 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Mourinho has said he can any of his players when he wants them ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2261311165/Phil_20Jones_20127771787.jp...
mick taylor 21 Jul 2016
In reply to The New NickB:

Totally, and Denmark before that.

The recent England managers who 'have done most' etc would include Erickson and Capello.............

Allardyce is a good appointment: wont get phased by the media, will get the basics right, gell the team.
 tony 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Babika:

> Well that could be said of Chris Coleman.

> I don't think high level / trophy winning is necessarily a prerequisite. Especially if only a handful of English managers have ever been in that position,

I take your point about Coleman, but my point was more about the fact that there are no English managers with any high-level experience or success. For what is supposed to be the best [sic] and richest league in the world, it seems a terrible state to be in, when the best home-grown option is someone who manages to avoid relegation.
 DR 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Couldn't care less about England but as a Sunderland fan I'm not too bothered he's going. I'm glad he kept us up obviously but couldn't see anything but another season of struggle ahead. Given that Hodgson resigned a month ago I'm disappointed it has taken this long to sort out as our pre-season plans are now up in the air. The links to David Moyes don't fill me with much confidence either...

It bugs the hell out of me to see other clubs like Stoke going after players like Saido Berahino and Joe Allen, Palace pinching Townsend etc. and we are never anywhere near these kind of signings. Sell the club Mr Short and someone get in a young manager and tell him to build for the future, and stop buying everyone else's reserve team. They are in the reserves for a reason - and it's that they are not good enough!! I fear us doing a Villa - do nothing after a crap season and become even more dismal and get relegated.

And breathe...

Davie
 Chris Harris 21 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

> it seems a terrible state to be in, when the best home-grown option is someone who manages to avoid relegation.

Ideal candidate for taking over a struggling team with the aim of stopping them from getting any worse then.

In reply to DR:

> It bugs the hell out of me to see other clubs like Stoke going after players like Saido Berahino and Joe Allen, Palace pinching Townsend etc. and we are never anywhere near these kind of signings. Sell the club Mr Short and someone get in a young manager and tell him to build for the future, and stop buying everyone else's reserve team. They are in the reserves for a reason - and it's that they are not good enough!! I fear us doing a Villa - do nothing after a crap season and become even more dismal and get relegated.

Yes I can understand all of that. Sunderland keep avoiding relegation by the skin of their teeth but never seem to want to do anything about it. Once again it's shaping up to be another desperately frustrating summer transfer window for you and it can't help to see your local rivals, even after relegation, splashing out £30 million+ and counting on new signings. The attitude of the Sunderland board seems to be a glib assumption that there will always be three worse teams in the Premiership. If you keep thinking like that sooner or later your luck is going to run out.
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> You can't polish a turd, and I'm not talking about the manager. The players who don an England shirt are overpaid donkeys.

> England has to get real and accept that their football team has had their day of glory, many many years ago.

That's just nonsense.

Spurs had a good season with top young players.
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to tony:

> Isn't that a terrible commentary on the state of English football - the best the FA can find is someone who hasn't ever won a trophy and has no experience of high level competition at club level.

It's hard to get a top job. United gambled with Moyes and that didn't work out.

Hodgson had success and it didn't work out either.
 The Lemming 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Problem solved, give them the job.
 oldie 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

The FA sometimes seems to give the post to managers who may have been good at organizing teams largely composed of less known players but who have been unable to harness the combined talents of several top players.
Taylor and Luton, Hodgson good with Switzerland, Fulham, West Brom but failed with Liverpool and Blackburn.
Allardyce may well be in this category.
 snoop6060 21 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

We're crap, he's good at managing crap teams. We're no better than the international equivalent of Bolton, West Ham or Sunderland.

So good choice id say.
 MonkeyPuzzle 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> The attitude of the Sunderland board seems to be a glib assumption that there will always be three worse teams in the Premiership. If you keep thinking like that sooner or later your luck is going to run out.

Aston Villa fan here confirming the above to be true.
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Never relegated, always 'has' the changing room, gets the best out of what he has.

Dear God, never been relegated. I despair. Is that the only qualification you need to get the England job now? Avoiding relegation. I remember Brian Clough won two European Cups with a small unfashionable club back in the days when you actually had to win the league title first to qualify and he still wasn't considered for the England job. Now they give it to a fat charlatan and tactical dinosaur who has won nothing, been sacked from three successive club jobs and 12 months ago was unemployed and on the football scrapheap.
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Gerry

He wasn't sacked at West Ham..

He did a very good job with them. He took them from the championship to being a solid mid table team, with 2 solid seasons and laid the foundations for bilic.
 Roadrunner5 21 Jul 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Problem solved, give them the job.

Playing for England?

Like Alli? Dyer? Kane? Rose?
 GrahamD 27 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Lets face it - the choice of manager doesn't seem to make any difference in the face of a squad who have never played significant tournament football together or have never plied their trade outside the premiereship (why is that ? every other international team seems to have players playing all over Europe)
RockyRoadIceCream 27 Jul 2016
In reply to abr1966:

Let's face it - Big Sam doesn't play attractive football but that's not what tournament football is about. Why try and play technical "sexy" football like Brazil or Spain etc when England do not have the technical players to do it? Tournament football is all about winning regardless of how you play. Being honest, if England had played like Portugal (pretty poor!) or even Greece from Euro 2004 and had won the tournament, would people be saying "yes, but we played horrible football!"

Just my two pennies worth...
 earlsdonwhu 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Watching BFS's West Ham was more frustrating than most seasons at Upton Park over my last 45 years of visits!
My only immediately favourable memory was his playing no forward player at all but securing a rare win at Spurs.

I predict a cap for his love child..... Kevin Nolan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...