UKC

ice axes on the euro star

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mic 21 Jul 2016
hi
just wondering if you can take your ice axes and crampons on the euro star?
 JSTaylor 21 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

Much discussed... try a search.
 tjhare1 21 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

I took axes out to France in March 2015 without any issues at all. They did call over somebody more important (presumably some sort of duty manager) at the baggage check, but once she'd given me the go ahead it was fine. I packaged them well, with cardboard protecting the picks and spike. As for crampons I can't help you I'm afraid. Good luck!
 planetmarshall 21 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

> just wondering if you can take your ice axes and crampons on the euro star?

Sure, why not.

Simon4 22 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

I took crampons and an axe out in March, emailed Eurostar beforehand. They said "no problem, might be best to take a copy of this email".

Didn't evev seem to be noticed on the way out, on the way back the X ray lady made a "swinging an ice axe" gesture anc I nodded and said "et autre materiel de montagne" and was waved on my way.

Possibly worth checking again, Nice and other events has made France very nervous but I think you will be alright.
 ogreville 22 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

You can take the axes but you need to hang off the side of the train in a figure 4 all the way.
 EwanR 22 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

Technically not.

http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/travel-planning/luggage/sports-an...

Dangerous sports equipment

If you’re travelling with any of these items, you’ll need to contact Eurodespatch, our registered luggage service: ice axes and other climbing and mountaineering equipment, javelins, spears and spear guns, crossbows, crossbow bolts, longbows, longbow arrows and starting pistols, swords or starting pistols. Keep in mind that these are all subject to approval and security checks.

There was a period when they were more reasonable but sadly they've gone back to being, at least officially, paranoid beyond belief.
 galpinos 22 Jul 2016
In reply to planetmarshall:
Because they are down on the list of Eurostar prohibited items?

Edit - see Ewan's far better response above....
Post edited at 08:58
 Simon4 22 Jul 2016
In reply to EwanR:

Eurodespatch also said (in wrighting) that it would be fine. Best to contact them and carry the confirmation.
 EwanR 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon4:

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that Eurodispatch could give permission to take "prohibited" items as carry on luggage.

As you say, having written confirmation and a bit of time spare just in case is essential.
 Simon4 22 Jul 2016
In reply to EwanR:

As you say, the published rules and those applied in practice may vary. Certainly I went armed (unfortunate term of phrase!) with written confirmation from both.

Can of course change with the latest Islamic terror attack.
 Brev 24 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

Just returned from a trip and was told in both London & Paris that our axes & crampons could only go on board as 'registered luggage'. Possibly the stricter rules are partially due to hightened security around Euro 2016 & subsequent terror attacks? Cost to register luggage was £20 each way. It may be possible to argue about the rules with them, but as we had quite tight train connections we just paid the fee rather than risk missing our train.
MarkMc 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Brev:

Spoke with the guys at EuroDespatch before my trip, and they said they'd never seen crampons come into them, and that I should be fine with Ice Axe. So I put both in my backpack and went through yesterday. No questions asked. They seem pretty chill about it. Fingers crossed it's the same on the return.
In reply to MarkMc:

Maybe remove the picks from the handle and then rebuild on the continent
 Mark Collins 28 Jul 2016
In reply to mic:

> hi

> just wondering if you can take your ice axes and crampons on the euro star?

You can, but I doubt temps will get low enough to require them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...