UKC

Begineers on a busy saturday in july

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul1 22 Jul 2016
Hi,

I've been asked to take a 3 friends climbing this weekend in the peak district. I will be the only one who can lead so will lead a route and bring up 3 seconds. Where is best to go for nice easy routes (could push up to VS but what to start them off on VD/S ) that wont piss off the climbers around us by being really slow. I took them to bamford edge last time but feel like it will be rammed! Any recommendations?
 fred99 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Windgather is the usual place for nice easy routes in the VD - S range.
 SenzuBean 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Stanage North is good, likely to be significantly empty.
In reply to Paul1:

If you're looking for somewhere quiet I'd suggest Dovestone Tor. It's not too bad a venue for beginners either. Quite a reasonable selection of routes in the V Diff/Severe range.
 pebbles 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

birchens? always very popular with outdoor groups, so anyone who goes there and is pissed off by slow beginners really hasnt a leg to stand on
 cragtyke 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Wharncliffe would be good, lots of easier routes, easy access, quiet, good belays.
OP Paul1 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Thanks, will have a look at these crags
 LastBoyScout 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:
Unless you're really keen to teach them leading/seconding, maybe set up top ropes on adjacent routes? Just a thought.

Anyway, Birchen's Edge would be ideal, then maybe Burbage or Lawrencefield for variation.

You can go wherever you like - there's just 4 of you and you have just as much right as anyone else to be there!
Post edited at 15:27
 johncook 22 Jul 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Lawrencefield has a limited supply of easy routes for beginners, a couple in the first bay and just the two to the right of gingerbread slab, without doing the scrabbling feet and hauling on slightly harder routes on the slab itself, which is rapidly being destroyed by said scrabbling feet and dirty trainers on ab.
It is a shame, used to be a nice place. There are a lot of routes there which don't get climbed, eg Lawrencefield Ordinary, Cascara crack, SAE etc.
 Chris Murray 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Harborough Rocks is a good limestone variant. Lots of short easy routes on pocketed limestone. Lots of groups and beginners use it, but be sure to get there early as there is limited parking.
 John Ww 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul1:

Wharncliffe
JW
 Wsdconst 22 Jul 2016
In reply to John Ww:

> Wharncliffe

> JW

Agreed, a really good place for beginners. And not too intimidating height wise.
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

> If you're looking for somewhere quiet I'd suggest Dovestone Tor. It's not too bad a venue for beginners either. Quite a reasonable selection of routes in the V Diff/Severe range.

Good shout. Nice walk, bit cooler up on the moors, good crag.
In reply to cragtyke:

> Wharncliffe would be good, lots of easier routes, easy access, quiet, good belays.

I've always found the V Diffs and Severes at Wharncliffe to be steep and hard for the grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...