UKC

Weekend climbing trip destinations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 22 Jul 2016
Hi,

So I was thinking of going for a short weekend climbing trip, any suggestions for destinations?

I quite fancy multi-pitch HS-HVS grade range, but would consider long/multi-pitch sports 6a-6b+ range.

Skye looks amazing, but it's either a 10 hour drive (from Bristol) or a short flight, but it looks like the weather won't be reliable enough to book a cheap flight ahead of time.

Skyfall 22 Jul 2016
In reply to springfall2008:

Slightly odd post to my mind. Even assuming you don't mean this weekend, how about some of the Classic routes in N Wales or the Lakes? Pembroke too of course, closer to home. Skye doesn't seem an obvious weekend/short notice destination....
 Robert Durran 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Skyfall:

> Slightly odd post to my mind. Even assuming you don't mean this weekend, how about some of the Classic routes in N Wales or the Lakes? Pembroke too of course, closer to home. Skye doesn't seem an obvious weekend/short notice destination....

Everywhere in the UK is a short notice destination - you go with the weather!
 Skyfall 22 Jul 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I agree but a10 hour drive to Skye seems odd, for a weekend, if other options are available or unless you have a specific objective. The OP doesn't seem that experienced so should have objectives elsewhere for a short weekend. Apologies if I'm appearing boring !
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2016

Anything wrong with Pembroke or Cornwall? That's where I'd go for the weekend if I was in Bristol. For a change I'd head to North Wales or the Lakes.
In reply to Skyfall:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make an odd post. I kind of meant planned in advance (I have kids/family to arrange around).

In reply to Robert Durran:

> Everywhere in the UK is a short notice destination - you go with the weather!

Yes, maybe France or Italy could be possible too - cheap Easyjet flight?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Anything wrong with Pembroke or Cornwall? That's where I'd go for the weekend if I was in Bristol. For a change I'd head to North Wales or the Lakes.

Not sure, can you recommend some classic routes?
 Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2016

If you go down to Cornwall, then Bosigran has lots of classic, non-tidal multipitch at every grade, including Doorpost (HS 4b), Little Brown Jug (VS 5a) and many more. Chair Ladder is a great place, but tidal, with South Face Direct (VS 4c) one of many classics. On a different rocktype is Right Angle (HS 4b) a spectacular route in a magnificent zawn. The list is pretty much endless.

Get a guidebook to Cornwall and get inspired! Big sea cliffs, exciting approaches, perfect rock, incredible ocean views, and good beer and pasties. UK trad climbing at its very best.
In reply to Skyfall:

Objective, climb something big and exciting but in grade....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...