UKC

Most versatile ascender?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 zimpara 23 Jul 2016
What would you rather generally rack, a ropeman 2 or a handled ascender?
 summo 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

am I carrying it for emergency crevasse rescue hoisting, or ascending a known 100m free hanging rope? Right tool for the right job.
 deepsoup 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:
Is that not a bit like asking if you'd prefer a mini or a transit van?* Are you popping to the shops for a pint of milk or moving a sofa?

* - this is a bad example. The correct answer for climbers, as we all know, is Skoda Octavia estate.
OP zimpara 23 Jul 2016
In reply to summo:

Fair question, I generally don't ascend 100m of rope, nor do I hoist from crevasses. But I have both, so what would you carry?
 climbwhenready 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I always carry a ropeman around town.
 jsmcfarland 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

ATC in guide mode, duh
OP zimpara 23 Jul 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:

As a keyring?
 Timmd 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

I guess with how a Ropeman 2 can be used for hauling with to be a non retracting pully and as protection when two people are climbing together, it might be the Ropeman 2 if you just wanted the most versatile?
 Mountain Llama 23 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

neither, completly OTT IMHO.

2 prussics for me.
 summo 24 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Fair question, I generally don't ascend 100m of rope, nor do I hoist from crevasses. But I have both, so what would you carry?

I have a ropeman and prusiks, would only ever carry a 'proper' ascending device if I knew with certainty I would need it.
 timjones 24 Jul 2016
In reply to zimpara:

> Fair question, I generally don't ascend 100m of rope, nor do I hoist from crevasses. But I have both, so what would you carry?

What and where are you climbing and what do you envisage that you might need an ascender for?

I wouldn't carry either on a normal cragging day but I always have a pair of prussic lots on the back of my harness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...